What can the money data tell us about the impact of QE?
This article reviews the main influences on broad money growth since the onset of the global crisis, focusing on the impact of the Monetary Policy Committee’s asset purchase programme (QE). The underlying weakness in money growth is likely to have reflected a combination of reduced nominal demand and a restructuring of banks’ balance sheets. QE has played a key role in offsetting some of this weakness and in a way that has not depended on an increase in bank lending. The first two rounds of QE seem to have had a similar proportionate impact on the money supply, but there is some evidence that the transmission mechanism of QE may have been different over the two episodes.
Volume (Year): 52 (2012)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Publications Group Bank of England Threadneedle Street London EC2R 8AH|
Phone: +44 (0)171 601 4030
Fax: +44 (0)171 601 5196
Web page: http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nick McLaren & Ryan N. Banerjee & David Latto, 2014.
"Using Changes in Auction Maturity Sectors to Help Identify the Impact of QE on Gilt Yields,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 0(576), pages 453-479, 05.
- Banerjee, Ryan & McLaren, Nick, 2012. "Using changes in auction maturity sectors to help identify the impact of QE on gilt yields," Bank of England Quarterly Bulletin, Bank of England, vol. 52(2), pages 129-137.
- Button, Richard & Pezzini, Silvia & Rossiter, Neil, 2010. "Understanding the price of new lending to households," Bank of England Quarterly Bulletin, Bank of England, vol. 50(3), pages 172-182.
- Bell, Venetia & Young, Garry, 2010. "Understanding the weakness of bank lending," Bank of England Quarterly Bulletin, Bank of England, vol. 50(4), pages 311-320.
- Joyce, Michael & Tong, Matthew & Woods, Robert, 2011. "The United Kingdom’s quantitative easing policy: design, operation and impact," Bank of England Quarterly Bulletin, Bank of England, vol. 51(3), pages 200-212.
- Bridges, Jonathan & Thomas, Ryland, 2012. "The impact of QE on the UK economy – some supportive monetarist arithmetic," Bank of England working papers 442, Bank of England.
- Churm, Rohan & Radia, Amar & Leake, Jeremy & Srinivasan, Sylaja & Whisker, Rishard, 2012. "The Funding for Lending Scheme," Bank of England Quarterly Bulletin, Bank of England, vol. 52(4), pages 306-320.
- Bridges, Jonathan & Rossiter, Neil & Thomas, Ryland, 2011. "Understanding the recent weakness in broad money growth," Bank of England Quarterly Bulletin, Bank of England, vol. 51(1), pages 22-35.
- Thomas, Ryland & Hills, Sally & Dimsdale, Nicholas, 2010. "The UK recession in context — what do three centuries of data tell us?," Bank of England Quarterly Bulletin, Bank of England, vol. 50(4), pages 277-291. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)