Measuring financial sector output and its contribution to UK GDP
In the decade before the financial crisis, the UK financial services sector grew more than twice as fast as the UK economy as a whole. But there are many conceptual difficulties associated with measuring output in finance. This article describes the contribution of the financial sector to GDP and assesses the uncertainty around recent estimates. There is some evidence that financial services output grew less quickly over the recent past than the official data suggest, although this probably had only a small impact on the rate of growth of overall GDP.
Volume (Year): 51 (2011)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +44 (0)171 601 4030
Fax: +44 (0)171 601 5196
Web page: http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Charles Steindel, 2009. "Implications of the financial crisis for potential growth: past, present, and future," Staff Reports 408, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- J. Christina Wang & Susanto Basu & John G. Fernald, 2008.
"A General-Equilibrium Asset-Pricing Approach to the Measurement of Nominal and Real Bank Output,"
NBER Working Papers
14616, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- J. Christina Wang & Susanto Basu & John G. Fernald, 2009. "A General-Equilibrium Asset-Pricing Approach to the Measurement of Nominal and Real Bank Output," NBER Chapters, in: Price Index Concepts and Measurement, pages 273-320 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Christina Wang & Susanto Basu & John G. Fernald, 2004. "A general-equilibrium asset-pricing approach to the measurement of nominal and real bank output," Working Papers 04-7, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
- Robert Inklaar & J. Christina Wang, 2013.
"Real Output of Bank Services: What Counts is What Banks Do, Not What They Own,"
London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 80(317), pages 96-117, 01.
- Robert Inklaar & J. Christina Wang, 2011. "Real output of bank services: what counts is what banks do, not what they own," Working Papers 11-1, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
- repec:dgr:rugggd:gd-117 is not listed on IDEAS
- Benito, Andrew & Neiss, Katharine & Price, Simon & Rachel, Lukasz, 2010. "The impact of the financial crisis on supply," Bank of England Quarterly Bulletin, Bank of England, vol. 50(2), pages 104-114.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:boe:qbullt:0058. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Publications Group)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.