Monopolistic Competition And Search Unemployment
In this paper the monopolistic competition model of Dixit and Stiglitz for the goods market and the search unemployment model of Pissarides are combined. The Pissarides part loses its Walrasian goods market and the Dixit-Stiglitz part loses its Walrasian labour market. Pissarides' results now depend on the degree of competition. In the Dixit-Stiglitz part the size and number of firms as well as aggregate output now depend on aggregate hiring costs, tightness and unemployment, while real wages are not fixed. Some partial results of comparative static properties of the original models survive. New results concerning the effects of changes in labour (goods) market parameters on goods markets (the labour market) variables are obtained and related to the literature on macroeconomic theory with endogenous unemployment and imperfect competition, empirical results and policy issues. Copyright Blackwell Publishing Ltd 2005.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 56 (2005)
Issue (Month): 3 (07)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0026-1386|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/subs.asp?ref=0026-1386|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Weitzman, Martin L, 1982. "Increasing Returns and the Foundations of Unemployment Theory," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 92(368), pages 787-804, December.
- Dixit, Avinash K & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1977.
"Monopolistic Competition and Optimum Product Diversity,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 67(3), pages 297-308, June.
- Dixit, Avinash K & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1975. "Monopolistic Competition and Optimum Product Diversity," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 64, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Philippe Aghion & Peter Howitt, 1994. "Growth and Unemployment," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 61(3), pages 477-494.
- Aghion, Philippe & Howitt, Peter, 1991. "Growth and Unemployment," CEPR Discussion Papers 577, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Blanchard, Olivier Jean & Kiyotaki, Nobuhiro, 1987. "Monopolistic Competition and the Effects of Aggregate Demand," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 77(4), pages 647-666, September.
- Winfried Vogt, 1996. "Accelerating Inflation Or Rising Unemployment -Is There An Alternative?," Metroeconomica, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 47(2), pages 197-230, 06. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)