The Impact of a Unionised Labour Market in a Schumpeterian Growth Model
This paper extends the seminal creative destruction growth model of Aghion/Howitt (1992) to investigate the relationship between unemployment and growth. We distinguish low-skilled and high-skilled labour and assume that a union bargains over the low-skilled labour wage. This causes unemployment, but the growth e ect is ambiguous. On the one hand the higher wage will squeeze expected pro ts of innovators, which is bad for growth. On the other hand the union a ects the marginal product of high-skilled labour and hence the high-skilled wage in the manufacturing sector declines. This causes a "migration" of high-skilled labour from the manufacturing into the research sector. This e ect is growth enhancing. We show that the overall e ect depends crucially on the elasticity of substitution between high-skilled and low-skilled labour. With an elasticity less than one the "good" growth e ect dominates the bad, and vice versa. In the Cobb Douglas case the two e ects cancel out.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Paul M Romer, 1999.
"Endogenous Technological Change,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
2135, David K. Levine.
- C Bean & Christopher A. Pissarides, 1992.
"Unemployment, Consumption and Growth,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0100, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Richard Layard & Stephen Nickell, 1998.
"Labour Market Institutions and Economic Performance,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0407, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Nickell, Stephen & Layard, Richard, 1999. "Labor market institutions and economic performance," Handbook of Labor Economics, in: O. Ashenfelter & D. Card (ed.), Handbook of Labor Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 46, pages 3029-3084 Elsevier.
- Nickell, S. & Layard, R., 1997. "Labour Market Institutions and Economic Performance," Papers 23, Centre for Economic Performance & Institute of Economics.
- Andreas Irmen & Berthold U. Wigger, 2001.
"Trade Union Objectives and Economic Growth,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
551, CESifo Group Munich.
- Andreas Irmen & Berthold U. Wigger, 2000. "Trade Union Objectives and Economic Growth," CSEF Working Papers 34, Centre for Studies in Economics and Finance (CSEF), University of Naples, Italy.
- Irmen, Andreas & Wigger, Berthold, 2001. "Trade Union Objectives and Economic Growth," CEPR Discussion Papers 3027, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Palokangas, Tapio, 1989. " Union Power in the Long Run Reconsidered," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 91(3), pages 625-35.
- Aghion, P. & Howitt, P., 1989.
"A Model Of Growth Through Creative Destruction,"
527, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Aghion, P. & Howitt, P., 1990. "A Model Of Growth Through Creative Destruction," DELTA Working Papers 90-12, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Aghion, Philippe & Howitt, Peter, 1992. "A Model of Growth Through Creative Destruction," Scholarly Articles 12490578, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Aghion, P. & Howitt, P., 1989. "A Model Of Growth Through Creative Destruction," UWO Department of Economics Working Papers 8904, University of Western Ontario, Department of Economics.
- Philippe Aghion & Peter Howitt, 1990. "A Model of Growth Through Creative Destruction," NBER Working Papers 3223, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Faini, Riccardo, 1999. "Trade unions and regional development," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 457-474, February.
- Michael Bräuninger, 2000. "Wage Bargaining, Unemployment, and Growth," Journal of Institutional and Theoretical Economics (JITE), Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, vol. 156(4), pages 646-, December.
- Henri L. F. De Groot, 2001. "Unemployment, Growth, and Trade Unions," Growth and Change, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 32(1), pages 69-91.
- Kemp, Murray C & Long, Ngo Van, 1987. " Union Power in the Long Run," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 89(1), pages 103-13.
- Boone, Jan, 2000. "Technological Progress, Downsizing and Unemployment," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 110(465), pages 581-600, July.
- Palokangas, Tapio, 1996. "Endogenous growth and collective bargaining," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 20(5), pages 925-944, May.
- Oswald, Andrew J, 1985. " The Economic Theory of Trade Unions: An Introductory Survey," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 87(2), pages 160-93.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wpa:wuwpla:0207003. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.