The Impact Of Rent Controls In Non-Walrasian Markets: An Agent-Based Modeling Approach
We use agent-based models to consider rent ceilings in non-Walrasian housing markets, where bargaining between landlord and tenant leads to exchange at a range of prices. In the non-Walrasian setting agents who would be extramarginal in the Walrasian setting frequently are successful in renting, and actually account for a significant share of the units rented. This has several implications. First, rent ceilings above the Walrasian equilibrium price (WEP) can affect the market outcome. Second, rent ceilings that reduce the number of units rented do not necessarily reduce total market surplus. Finally, the distributional impact of rent controls differs from the Walrasian setting. Copyright Blackwell Publishing, Inc. 2006
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 46 (2006)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0022-4146|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/subs.asp?ref=0022-4146|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gode, Dhananjay (Dan) K. & Sunder, Shyam, 2004.
"Double auction dynamics: structural effects of non-binding price controls,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 28(9), pages 1707-1731, July.
- Dhananjay K. & Shyam Sunder, 2004. "Double Auction Dynamics: Structural Effects of Non-binding Price Controls," Yale School of Management Working Papers ysm141, Yale School of Management, revised 01 Apr 2008.
- Dhananjay (Dan) K. Gode & Shyam Sunder, 2000. "Double Auction Dynamics: Structural Effects Of Non-Binding Price Controls," Yale School of Management Working Papers ysm1, Yale School of Management.
- Rauh, Michael T., 2004. "Wage and price controls in the equilibrium sequential search model," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 48(6), pages 1287-1300, December.
- Michael Rauh, .
"Heterogeneous Beliefs, Price Dispersion, and Welfare-Improving Price Controls,"
Economics and Finance Discussion Papers
97-03, Economics and Finance Section, School of Social Sciences, Brunel University.
- Michael T. Rauh, 2001. "Heterogeneous beliefs, price dispersion, and welfare-improving price controls," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 18(3), pages 577-603.
- Edward L. Glaeser, 1996.
"The Social Costs of Rent Control Revisited,"
NBER Working Papers
5441, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Edward L. Glaeser, 1996. "The Social Costs of Rent Control Revisted," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1747, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Malpezzi, Stephen & Maclennan, Duncan, 2001. "The Long-Run Price Elasticity of Supply of New Residential Construction in the United States and the United Kingdom," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(3), pages 278-306, September.
- Fershtman, Chaim & Fishman, Arthur, 1994.
"The 'perverse' effects of wage and price controls in search markets,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 38(5), pages 1099-1112, May.
- Fershtman, C. & Fishman, A., 1991. "The "Perverse" Effects of Wage and Price Controls in Search Markets," Papers 11-91, Tel Aviv.
- Dhananjay K. Gode & Shyam Sunder, 1997. "What Makes Markets Allocationally Efficient?," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 112(2), pages 603-630.
- Suen, Wing, 1989. "Rationing and Rent Dissipation in the Presence of Heterogeneous Individuals," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 97(6), pages 1384-94, December.
- Edward L. Glaeser & Erzo F. P. Luttmer, 2003.
"The Misallocation of Housing Under Rent Control,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 93(4), pages 1027-1046, September.
- Munch, Jakob Roland & Svarer, Michael, 2002.
"Rent control and tenancy duration,"
Journal of Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 52(3), pages 542-560, November.
- Sah, Raaj Kumar, 1987. "Queues, Rations, and Market: Comparisons of Outcomes for the Poor and the Rich," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 77(1), pages 69-77, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bla:jregsc:v:46:y:2006:i:3:p:455-491. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.