Dynamic Voluntary Provision of Public Goods and Optimal Steady-State Subsidies
This paper examines a differential game model of voluntary provision of a public good in which private agents' contributions accumulate over time and derives subsidy rules that achieve the socially efficient steady state. It is shown that the optimal subsidy rule is a simple one when agents use the open-loop strategy, while under Markovian strategies it intricately depends on the parameters of the economy. Copyright 2006 Blackwell Publishing Inc..
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 8 (2006)
Issue (Month): 1 (01)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=1097-3923|
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/subs.asp?ref=1097-3923|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jun-ichi Itaya & Koji Shimomura, 1999.
"A Dynamic Conjectural Variations Model in the Private Provision of Public Goods: a Differential Game Approach,"
Discussion Paper Series
104, Research Institute for Economics & Business Administration, Kobe University.
- Itaya, Jun-ichi & Shimomura, Koji, 2001. "A dynamic conjectural variations model in the private provision of public goods: a differential game approach," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 81(1), pages 153-172, July.
- Fershtman, Chaim & Nitzan, Shmuel, 1991.
"Dynamic voluntary provision of public goods,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 35(5), pages 1057-1067, July.
- Boadway,Robin & Pestieau,Pierre & Wildasin,David, 1986.
"Tax-transfer policies and the voluntary provision of public goods,"
Discussion Paper Serie A
130, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Boadway, Robin & Pestieau, Pierre & Wildasin, David, 1989. "Tax-transfer policies and the voluntary provision of public goods," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(2), pages 157-176, July.
- Boadway, R.W. & Pestieau, P. & Wildasin, D.E., 1987. "Tax-transfer policies and the voluntary provision of public goods," CORE Discussion Papers 1987019, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Robin Boadway & Pierre Pestieau & David Wildasin, 1987. "Tax-Transfer Policies and the Voluntary Provision of Public Goods," Working Papers 682, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- BOADWAY, Robin & PESTIEAU, Pierre & WILDASIN, David, . "Tax-transfer policies and the voluntary provision of public goods," CORE Discussion Papers RP 856, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Benchekroun, Hassan & van Long, Ngo, 1998.
"Efficiency inducing taxation for polluting oligopolists,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 70(2), pages 325-342, November.
- Hassan Benchekroun & Ngo Van Long, 1997. "Efficiency Inducing Taxation for Polluting Oligopolists," CIRANO Working Papers 97s-21, CIRANO.
- Karp, Larry, 1992. "Efficiency Inducing Tax for a Common Property Oligopoly," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 102(411), pages 321-32, March.
- Akihisa Shibata, 2002. "Strategic Interactions in a Growth Model with Infrastructure Capital," Metroeconomica, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 53(4), pages 434-460, November.
- Dockner,Engelbert J. & Jorgensen,Steffen & Long,Ngo Van & Sorger,Gerhard, 2000. "Differential Games in Economics and Management Science," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521637329, December.
- Dockner, Engelbert J, 1992. "A Dynamic Theory of Conjectural Variations," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 40(4), pages 377-395, December.
- Itaya, Jun-ichi & Dasgupta, Dipankar, 1995. "Dynamics, Consistent Conjectures, and Heterogeneous Agents in the Private Provision of Public Goods," Public Finance = Finances publiques, , vol. 50(3), pages 371-89.
- Wirl, Franz, 1996. "Dynamic voluntary provision of public goods: Extension to nonlinear strategies," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 555-560, November.
- Cornes,Richard & Sandler,Todd, 1996. "The Theory of Externalities, Public Goods, and Club Goods," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521477185, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bla:jpbect:v:8:y:2006:i:1:p:171-179. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.