Markov-Perfect Nash Equilibria in Models With a Single Capital Stock
Many economic problems can be formulated as dynamic games in which strategically interacting agents choose actions that determine the current and future levels of a single capital stock. We study necessary conditions that allow us to characterize Markov perfect Nash equalibria (MPNE) for these games. These conditions result in an auxilary system of ordinary differential equations that helps us to explore stability, continuity and differentiability of MPNE. The techniques are used to derive detailed properties of MPNE for several games including the exploitation of a finite resource, the voluntary investment in a public capital stock, and the inter-temporal consumption of a reproductive asset.
|Date of creation:||2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: + 31 20 525 52 58
Fax: + 31 20 525 52 83
Web page: http://www.fee.uva.nl/cendef/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wirl, Franz, 1996. "Dynamic voluntary provision of public goods: Extension to nonlinear strategies," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 555-560, November.
- Georgios Kossioris & Michael Plexousakis & Anastasios Xepapadeas & Aart de Zeeuw, 2010.
"On the Optimal Taxation of Common-Pool Resources,"
2010.101, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Fershtman, Chaim & Nitzan, Shmuel, 1991.
"Dynamic voluntary provision of public goods,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 35(5), pages 1057-1067, July.
- Mäler, K-G. & Xepapadeas, A. & de Zeeuw, A.J., 2003.
"The economics of shallow lakes,"
Other publications TiSEM
368f83ad-bc2f-4ad4-b603-8, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Frederick Ploeg & Aart Zeeuw, 1992.
"International aspects of pollution control,"
Environmental & Resource Economics,
European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 2(2), pages 117-139, March.
- Van Der Ploeg, F. & De Zeeuw, A.J., 1990. "International Aspects Of Pollution Control," Papers 9065, Tilburg - Center for Economic Research.
- van der Ploeg, F. & de Zeeuw, A.J., 1990. "International aspects of pollution control," Discussion Paper 1990-65, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Robert Becker & Ram Sewak Dubey & Tapan Mitra, 2012. "On Ramsey Equilibrium: Capital Ownership Pattern and Inefficiency," Caepr Working Papers 2012-007, Center for Applied Economics and Policy Research, Economics Department, Indiana University Bloomington.
- Eswaran, Mukesh & Lewis, Tracy R, 1984. "Appropriability and the Extraction of a Common Property Resource," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 51(204), pages 393-400, November.
- Sundaram, Rangarajan K., 1989. "Perfect equilibrium in non-randomized strategies in a class of symmetric dynamic games," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 153-177, February.
- Leslie M. Marx & Steven A. Matthews, .
"Dynamic Voluntary Contribution to a Public Project,"
Penn CARESS Working Papers
6f8dbf67d492ff8a10975496b, Penn Economics Department.
- Marx, Leslie M & Matthews, Steven A, 2000. "Dynamic Voluntary Contribution to a Public Project," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 67(2), pages 327-58, April.
- Leslie M. Marx & Steven A. Matthews, 1997. "Dynamic Voluntary Contribution to a Public Project," Discussion Papers 1188, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Leslie M. Marx & Steven A. Matthews, . ""Dynamic Voluntary Contribution to a Public Project''," CARESS Working Papres 99-01, University of Pennsylvania Center for Analytic Research and Economics in the Social Sciences.
- Ken-Ichi Akao, 2008. "Tax schemes in a class of differential games," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 35(1), pages 155-174, April.
- David Levhari & Leonard J. Mirman, 1980. "The Great Fish War: An Example Using a Dynamic Cournot-Nash Solution," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 11(1), pages 322-334, Spring.
- Benhabib, Jess & Radner, Roy, 1992. "The Joint Exploitation of a Productive Asset: A Game-Theoretic Approach," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 2(2), pages 155-90, April.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521637329 is not listed on IDEAS
- Gerhard Sorger, 2008. "Strategic saving decisions in the infinite-horizon model," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 36(3), pages 353-377, September.
- Prajit Dutta & Roy Radner, 2012. "Capital growth in a global warming model: will China and India sign a climate treaty?," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 49(2), pages 411-443, February.
- Kiseleva, T. & Wagener, F.O.O., 2009.
"Bifurcations of optimal vector fields in the shallow lake model,"
CeNDEF Working Papers
09-12, Universiteit van Amsterdam, Center for Nonlinear Dynamics in Economics and Finance.
- Kiseleva, Tatiana & Wagener, F.O.O., 2010. "Bifurcations of optimal vector fields in the shallow lake model," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 34(5), pages 825-843, May.
- Colin Rowat, 2005.
"Non-Linear Strategies in a Linear Quadratic Differential Game,"
05-05, Department of Economics, University of Birmingham.
- Rowat, Colin, 2007. "Non-linear strategies in a linear quadratic differential game," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 31(10), pages 3179-3202, October.
- Colin Rowat, 2005. "Non-linear strategies in a linear quadratic differential game," GE, Growth, Math methods 0502001, EconWPA.
- Skiba, A K, 1978. "Optimal Growth with a Convex-Concave Production Function," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(3), pages 527-39, May.
- Dockner, Engelbert J. & Sorger, Gerhard, 1996. "Existence and Properties of Equilibria for a Dynamic Game on Productive Assets," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 71(1), pages 209-227, October.
- Kossioris, G. & Plexousakis, M. & Xepapadeas, A. & de Zeeuw, A. & Mäler, K.-G., 2008.
"Feedback Nash equilibria for non-linear differential games in pollution control,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 32(4), pages 1312-1331, April.
- Kossioris, G. & Plexousakis, M. & Xepapadeas, A. & de Zeeuw, A.J. & Mäler, K-G., 2008. "Feedback Nash equilibria for non-linear differential games in pollution control," Other publications TiSEM 40605796-65cd-476f-8e92-7, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Benchekroun, Hassan, 2003. "Unilateral production restrictions in a dynamic duopoly," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 111(2), pages 214-239, August.
- Wagener, F. O. O., 2003. "Skiba points and heteroclinic bifurcations, with applications to the shallow lake system," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 27(9), pages 1533-1561, July.
- Larry Karp & Jiangfeng Zhang, 2012.
"Taxes versus quantities for a stock pollutant with endogenous abatement costs and asymmetric information,"
Springer, vol. 49(2), pages 371-409, February.
- Karp, Larry & Zhang, Jiangfeng, 2008. "Taxes Versus Quantities for a Stock Pollutant with Endogenous Abatement Costs and Asymmetric Information," Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley, Working Paper Series qt84q0s8tb, Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley.
- Dockner, Engelbert J. & Van Long, Ngo & Sorger, Gerhard, 1996. "Analysis of Nash equilibria in a class of capital accumulation games," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 20(6-7), pages 1209-1235.
- Tsutsui, Shunichi & Mino, Kazuo, 1990. "Nonlinear strategies in dynamic duopolistic competition with sticky prices," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 52(1), pages 136-161, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ams:ndfwpp:06-07. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Cees C.G. Diks)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.