On the Optimal Taxation of Common-Pool Resources
Recent research developments in common-pool resource models emphasize the importance of links with ecological systems and the presence of non-linearities, thresholds and multiple steady states. In a recent paper Kossioris et al. (2008) develop a methodology for deriving feedback Nash equilibria for non-linear differential games and apply this methodology to a common-pool resource model of a lake where pollution corresponds to benefits and at the same time affects the ecosystem services. This paper studies the structure of optimal state- dependent taxes that steer the combined economic-ecological system towards the trajectory of optimal management, and provides an algorithm for calculating such taxes.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Corso Magenta, 63 - 20123 Milan|
Web page: http://www.feem.it/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hein, Lars, 2006. "Cost-efficient eutrophication control in a shallow lake ecosystem subject to two steady states," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 59(4), pages 429-439, October.
- Dechert, W.D. & O'Donnell, S.I., 2006. "The stochastic lake game: A numerical solution," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 30(9-10), pages 1569-1587.
- Wagener, F. O. O., 2003. "Skiba points and heteroclinic bifurcations, with applications to the shallow lake system," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 27(9), pages 1533-1561, July.
- Hassan Benchekroun & Ngo Van Long, 1997.
"Efficiency Inducing Taxation for Polluting Oligopolists,"
CIRANO Working Papers
- Benchekroun, Hassan & van Long, Ngo, 1998. "Efficiency inducing taxation for polluting oligopolists," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 70(2), pages 325-342, November.
- Anne-Sophie Crépin & Therese Lindahl, 2009. "Grazing Games: Sharing Common Property Resources with Complex Dynamics," Environmental & Resource Economics, Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 44(1), pages 29-46, September.
- Kossioris, G. & Plexousakis, M. & Xepapadeas, A. & de Zeeuw, A.J. & Mäler, K-G., 2008.
"Feedback Nash equilibria for non-linear differential games in pollution control,"
Other publications TiSEM
40605796-65cd-476f-8e92-7, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Kossioris, G. & Plexousakis, M. & Xepapadeas, A. & de Zeeuw, A. & Mäler, K.-G., 2008. "Feedback Nash equilibria for non-linear differential games in pollution control," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 32(4), pages 1312-1331, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fem:femwpa:2010.101. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (barbara racah)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.