How to Regulate Heterogeneous Hospitals?
Ways to regulate French public hospitals? The purpose of this paper is to study hospital costs in the event of introduction of a Prospective Payment System in France. We use a nested three dimensional database (stays-hospitals-years) in order to identify hospital unobservable heterogeneity and a transitory moral hazard component of cost variability. Econometric estimate are performed on a sample of 7,314 stays for acute myocardial infarction observed in 36 French public hospitals over the period 1994 to 1997. Transitory moral hazard is far from negligible : its estimated standard error is about 50 % of the standard error we estimate for cost variability due to permanent unobervable heterogeneity between hospitals. Simulations show that a cost reduction of about 16 % can be expected from implmentation of a payment system which allows for permanent unobserved heterogeneity and eliminates only transitory moral hazard.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 14 (2005)
Issue (Month): 3 (09)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.kellogg.northwestern.edu/research/journals/JEMS/|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=1058-6407&site=1|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Joseph P. Newhouse, 1996. "Reimbursing Health Plans and Health Providers: Efficiency in Production versus Selection," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 34(3), pages 1236-1263, September.
- Keeler, Emmett B., 1990. "What proportion of hospital cost differences is justifiable?," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 359-365, November.
- Pope, Gregory C., 1990. "Using hospital-specific costs to improve the fairness of prospective reimbursement," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 237-251, November.
- Dormont, Brigitte & Milcent, Carine, 2004.
"The sources of hospital cost variability,"
Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine
123456789/5426, Paris Dauphine University.
- Jean-Jacques Laffont & Jean Tirole, 1993. "A Theory of Incentives in Procurement and Regulation," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262121743, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bla:jemstr:v:14:y:2005:i:3:p:591-621. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.