Risk, Utility and the Value of Information in Farmer Decision Making
A model is developed from decision theory for evaluating probabilistic information, especially for decision makers who are risk averse. The value of information to such a decision maker is disaggregated into mean and variance effects. It is shown that the degree of risk aversion of the decision maker may have important effects on the value attached to the information; however, there is not necessarily a positive correlation between risk aversion and the value of information, since the decision to acquire new information is itself often a risky decision. The concepts and procedures are illustrated by application to a fodder conservation decision with rainfall forecast information.
Volume (Year): 50 (1982)
Issue (Month): 03 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: AARES Central Office Manager, Crawford School of Public Policy, ANU, Canberra ACT 0200|
Phone: 0409 032 338
Web page: http://www.aares.info/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Anderson, Jock R. & Feder, Gershon, 2007. "Agricultural Extension," Handbook of Agricultural Economics, Elsevier.
- R. R. Officer & A. N. Halter, 1968. "Utility Analysis in a Practical Setting," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 50(2), pages 257-277.
- Freebairn, John W., 1976. "Welfare Implications Of More Accurate Rational Forecast Prices," Australian Journal of Agricultural Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 20(02), August.
- Byerlee, Derek R. & Anderson, Jock R., 1969.
"Value Of Predictors Of Uncontrolled Factors In Response Functions,"
Australian Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 13(02), December.
- Derek R. Byerlee & Jock R. Anderson, 1969. "Value Of Predictors Of Uncontrolled Factors In Response Functions," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 13(2), pages 118-127, December.
- Green, Jerry R, 1981. "Value of Information with Sequential Futures Markets," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(2), pages 335-358, March.
- Robert E. Marks, 1980. "The Value of â€œAlmostâ€ Perfect Weather Information to the Australian Tertiary Sector," Australian Journal of Management, Australian School of Business, vol. 5(1-2), pages 67-85, April.
- Hayami, Yujiro & Peterson, Willis, 1972. "Social Returns to Public Information Services: Statistical Reporting of U. S. Farm Commodities," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 62(1), pages 119-130, March.
- R. K. Lindner & F. G. Jarrett, 1978. "Supply Shifts and the Size of Research Benefits," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 60(1), pages 48-58.
- David F. Bradford & Harry H. Kelejian, 1977. "The Value of Information for Crop Forecasting in a Market System: Some Theoretical Issues," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 44(3), pages 519-531. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)