A Comparison of Regional Export Enhancement and Import Substitution Economic Development Strategies
Absent from the economic development literature is a manageable and quantitative analysis that compares regional export enhancement and import substitution strategies. Single sector Leontief and Keynesian models are developed to show how these development strate-gies relate to one another. Both strategies have identical direct effects on an economy, but import substitution increases the indirect effects through additional endogenous purchases, which then increase the output and income multipliers. Assuming identical comparative advantage of both strategies, regional import substitution is found to be at least as good an economic development strategy as regional export enhancement.
Volume (Year): 41 (2011)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://jrap-journal.org/index.htm|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Douglass C. North, 1955. "Location Theory and Regional Economic Growth," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 63, pages 243.
- Charles M. Tiebout, 1956. "Exports and Regional Economic Growth," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 64, pages 160.
- Chang Seung & Edward Waters, 2006. "The role of the Alaska seafood industry: a social accounting matrix (SAM) model approach to economic base analysis," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 40(2), pages 335-350, June.
- Holland, David W. & Martin, R.P., 1993. "Output Change In U.S. Agriculture: An Input-Output Analysis," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 25(02), December.
- Sachs, Jeffrey D. & Warner, Andrew M., 2001. "The curse of natural resources," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 45(4-6), pages 827-838, May.
- Charles M. Tiebout, 1956. "Exports and Regional Economic Growth: Rejoinder," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 64, pages 169.
- Maureen Kilkenny & Mark D. Partridge, 2009. "Export Sectors and Rural Development," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 91(4), pages 910-929.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:jrapmc:132457. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.