Understanding the Local Unrecorded Economy: Informal Work and Home Production in Non-Metropolitan Wisconsin
Using a survey of 1,611 families in non-metropolitan Wisconsin, we assess the extent and importance of certain activities to make money, save money, or barter. Approximately 59% of families report involvement in the activities considered, with 122 median annual hours and median imputed value of $1368. Hours of such work are highly skewed. While some house-holds are extensively involved, most report only approximately 2-3 per week. Overall, while such work is common and some households engage in it extensively, substantial involvement in it appears too infrequent for it to serve as a major part of most householdsâ€™ well-being.
Volume (Year): 37 (2007)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://jrap-journal.org/index.htm|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Leibowitz, Arleen, 1974. "Education and Home Production," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 64(2), pages 243-50, May.
- van Eck, Robert & Kazemier, Brugt, 1988. "Features of the Hidden Economy in the Netherlands," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 34(3), pages 251-73, September.
- Gronau, Reuben, 1997. "The Theory of Home Production: The Past Ten Years," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 15(2), pages 197-205, April.
- Duncan Ironmonger, 1996. "Counting outputs, capital inputs and caring labor: Estimating gross household product," Feminist Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 2(3), pages 37-64.
- J. Jacobs, 2008. "Book Review," De Economist, Springer, vol. 156(2), pages 215-217, June.
- Lemieux, Thomas & Fortin, Bernard & Frechette, Pierre, 1994. "The Effect of Taxes on Labor Supply in the Underground Economy," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 84(1), pages 231-54, March.
- Hill, T P, 1979. "Do-It-Yourself and GDP," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 25(1), pages 31-39, March.
- Chadeau, Ann, 1985. "Measuring Household Activities: Some International Comparisons," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 31(3), pages 237-53, September.
- K.K. Fung, 1995. "Doing Well by Doing Good: A Market for Favors," Cato Journal, Cato Journal, Cato Institute, vol. 15(1), pages 81-99, Spring/Su.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:jrapmc:132413. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.