Estimation of Political Oligopoly Power of Domestic Producers in the Korean Raw-Milk Market
This paper estimates the political oligopoly power of domestic raw-milk producers in the Korean dairy market. Domestic raw-milk price for fluid use is decided exogenously by the government. The government announces the reference price of raw-milk price for fluid use to protect the domestic raw-milk producers from the potential market power of domestic dairy processors, because historically many small-sized domestic producers are a relatively weaker group than domestic processors. Here, this study has two questions: one is about how effectively the government protects the producers and the other is about how much the producers exert their political power against the government to raise the reference price in this process. Furthermore, this paper also tests how much the political oligopoly power of domestic producers is affected by the change of domestic political situation which is the inauguration of Korea Dairy Committee in this case. To answer these questions, this paper develops a theoretical model from a social welfare function and empirically estimates the political oligopoly power using the new empirical industrial organization (NEIO) approach.
Volume (Year): 31 (2008)
Issue (Month): 5 (November)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 4-102 Hoigi-Dong Dongdaemoon-Gu, Seoul 130-710|
Web page: http://www.krei.re.kr/eng/index.php
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sexton, Richard J. & Lavoie, Nathalie, 2001. "Food processing and distribution: An industrial organization approach," Handbook of Agricultural Economics, in: B. L. Gardner & G. C. Rausser (ed.), Handbook of Agricultural Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 15, pages 863-932 Elsevier.
- Karen Clay & Werner Troesken, 2003. "Further Tests of Static Oligopoly Models: Whiskey, 1882-1898," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 51(2), pages 151-166, 06.
- John C. Beghin & William E. Foster, 1992.
"Political Criterion Functions and the Analysis of Wealth Transfers,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 74(3), pages 787-794.
- Beghin, John C. & Foster, William E., 1992. "Political Criterion Functions and the Analysis of Wealth Transfers," Staff General Research Papers Archive 1568, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Appelbaum, Elie, 1982. "The estimation of the degree of oligopoly power," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 19(2-3), pages 287-299, August.
- Swinnen, Johan F.M. & de Gorter, Harry, 1995.
"Endogenous Commodity Policies and the Social Benefits from Public Research Expenditures,"
128002, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Johan F.M. Swinnen & Harry de Gorter, 1998. "Endogenous Commodity Policies and the Social Benefits from Public Research Expenditures," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 80(1), pages 107-115.
- Bresnahan, Timothy F., 1981. "Departures from marginal-cost pricing in the American automobile industry : Estimates for 1977-1978," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 201-227, November.
- Bresnahan, Timothy F., 1982. "The oligopoly solution concept is identified," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 10(1-2), pages 87-92.
- De Gorter, Harry & Swinnen, Johan, 2002. "Political economy of agricultural policy," Handbook of Agricultural Economics, in: B. L. Gardner & G. C. Rausser (ed.), Handbook of Agricultural Economics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 36, pages 1893-1943 Elsevier.
- Richard J. Sexton, 2000. "Industrialization and Consolidation in the U.S. Food Sector: Implications for Competition and Welfare," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 82(5), pages 1087-1104.
- Corts, Kenneth S., 1998. "Conduct parameters and the measurement of market power," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 88(2), pages 227-250, November.
- A. M. Azzam & E. Pagoulatos, 1990. "Testing Oligopolistic And Oligopsonistic Behaviour: An Application To The Us Meat-Packing Industry," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(3), pages 362-370.
- Mingxia Zhang, 1997. "The Effects of Imperfect Competition on the Size and Distribution of Research Benefits," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(4), pages 1252-1265.
- Cabral, Luis M. B., 1995. "Conjectural variations as a reduced form," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 49(4), pages 397-402, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:jordng:45681. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.