Determining Optimal Levels of Nitrogen Fertilizer Using Random Parameter Models
The parameters of yield response functions can vary by year. Past studies usually assume yield functions are nstochastic â€˜â€˜limitedâ€™â€™ stochastic. In this study, we estimate ryeâ€“ ryegrass yield functions in which all parameters are random. The three functional forms considered are the linear response plateau, the quadratic, and the Spillman-Mitscherlich. Nonstochastic yield models are rejected in favor of stochastic parameter models. Quadratic functional forms fit the data poorly. Optimal nitrogen application recommendations are calculated for the linear response plateau and Spillman-Mitscherlich. The stochastic models lead to smaller recommended levels of nitrogen, but the economic benefits of using fully stochastic crop yield functions are small because expected profit functions are relatively flat for the stochastic yield functions. Stochastic crop yield functions provide a way of incorporating production, uncertainty into input decisions.
Volume (Year): 43 (2011)
Issue (Month): 04 (November)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.saea.org/jaae/jaae.htm|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pollak, Robert A. & Wales, Terence J., 1991.
"The likelihood dominance criterion : A new approach to model selection,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 47(2-3), pages 227-242, February.
- Pollak, R.A. & Wales, T.J., 1990. "The Likelihood Dominance Criterion: A New Approach To Model Selection," Discussion Papers in Economics at the University of Washington 90-10, Department of Economics at the University of Washington.
- Pollak, R.A. & Wales, T.J., 1990. "The Likelihood Dominance Criterion: A New Approach To Model Selection," Working Papers 90-10, University of Washington, Department of Economics.
- B. Brorsen & Francisca Richter, 2012. "Experimental designs for estimating plateau-type production functions and economically optimal input levels," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 38(1), pages 45-52, August.
- Roberts, David C. & Brorsen, B. Wade & Solie, John B. & Raun, William R., 2011. "The effect of parameter uncertainty on whole-field nitrogen recommendations from nitrogen-rich strips and ramped strips in winter wheat," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 104(4), pages 307-314, April.
- Babcock, Bruce A., 1992. "Effects of Uncertainty on Optimal Nitrogen Applications (The)," Staff General Research Papers Archive 10588, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Kaitibie, Simeon & Epplin, Francis M. & Brorsen, B. Wade & Horn, Gerald W. & Krenzer, Eugene G. & Paisley, Steven I., 2003.
"Optimal Stocking Density for Dual-Purpose Winter Wheat Production,"
Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics,
Cambridge University Press, vol. 35(01), pages 29-38, April.
- Kaitibie, Simeon & Epplin, Francis M. & Brorsen, B. Wade & Horn, Gerald W. & Krenzer, Eugene G., Jr. & Paisley, Steven I., 2003. "Optimal Stocking Density for Dual-Purpose Winter Wheat Production," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 35(01), April.
- Jon T. Biermacher & B. Wade Brorsen & Francis M. Epplin & John B. Solie & William R. Raun, 2009. "The economic potential of precision nitrogen application with wheat based on plant sensing," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 40(4), pages 397-407, 07.
- Gelson Tembo & B. Wade Brorsen & Francis M. Epplin & Emílio Tostão, 2008. "Crop Input Response Functions with Stochastic Plateaus," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 90(2), pages 424-434.
- Taylor, Karen W. & Epplin, Francis M. & Brorsen, B. Wade & Fieser, Brian G. & Horn, Gerald W., 2010.
"Optimal Grazing Termination Date for Dual-Purpose Winter Wheat Production,"
Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics,
Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 42(01), February.
- Taylor, Karen W. & Epplin, Francis M. & Brorsen, B. Wade & Fieser, Brian G. & Horn, Gerald W., 2010. "Optimal Grazing Termination Date for Dual-Purpose Winter Wheat Production," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 42(01), pages 87-103, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:joaaec:117949. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.