Impact of Mandatory Price Reporting on Hog Market Integration
This research examines whether mandatory price reporting (MPR) impacted price relationships among U.S. hog markets. Markets are cointegrated before and after MPR enactment, but not fully integrated in either period. Terminal markets adjust to shocks in the Iowa-Southern Minnesota market more quickly and Iowa-Southern Minnesota prices adjust to shocks in terminal markets more slowly following MPR enactment. Granger causality tests indicate a causal flow from terminal markets to Iowa-Southern Minnesota prices before MPR and a causal reversal after MPR enactment. These results likely reflect decreases in volume of negotiated sales, particularly in terminal markets, and greater reliance on mandatorily reported prices for market information.
Volume (Year): 43 (2011)
Issue (Month): 02 (May)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.saea.org/jaae/jaae.htm|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Barry K. Goodwin & Nicholas E. Piggott, 2001.
"Spatial Market Integration in the Presence of Threshold Effects,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(2), pages 302-317.
- Goodwin, Barry K. & Piggott, Nicholas E., 1999. "Spatial Market Integration In The Presence Of Threshold Effects," 1999 Annual meeting, August 8-11, Nashville, TN 21489, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Franken, Jason R.V. & Parcell, Joseph L. & Sykuta, Michael E. & Fulcher, Christopher L., 2005. "Market Integration: Case Studies of Structural Change," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 34(2), October.
- Gregory, A.W. & Hansen, B.E., 1992.
"Residual-Based Tests for Cointegration in Models with Regime Shifts,"
RCER Working Papers
335, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Gregory, Allan W. & Hansen, Bruce E., 1996. "Residual-based tests for cointegration in models with regime shifts," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 70(1), pages 99-126, January.
- Allan w. Gregory & Bruce E. Hansen, 1992. "residual-Based Tests for Cointegration in Models with Regime Shifts," Working Papers 862, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Christopher B. Barrett & Jau Rong Li, 2002. "Distinguishing between Equilibrium and Integration in Spatial Price Analysis," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 84(2), pages 292-307.
- Pei-Fen Chen & Chien-Chiang Lee, 2008. "Nonlinear adjustments in deviations from the law of one price for wholesale hog prices," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 39(1), pages 123-134, 07.
- Frank, Julieta & Gomez, Miguel I. & Kunda, Eugene L. & Garcia, Philip, 2008. "Cash Settlement of Lean Hog Futures Contracts Reexamined," 2008 Conference, April 21-22, 2008, St. Louis, Missouri 37611, NCCC-134 Conference on Applied Commodity Price Analysis, Forecasting, and Market Risk Management.
- Dabin Wang & William G. Tomek, 2007. "Commodity Prices and Unit Root Tests," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 89(4), pages 873-889.
- Lee, Yoonsuk & Ward, Clement E. & Brorsen, B. Wade, 2010. "Relationships among Prices across Alternative Marketing Arrangements for Fed Cattle and Hogs," 2010 Annual Meeting, February 6-9, 2010, Orlando, Florida 56282, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- Fausti, Scott W. & Qasmi, Bashir A. & Li, Jing & Diersen, Matthew A., 2010. "The Effect of the Livestock Mandatory Reporting Act on Market Transparency and Grid Price Dispersion," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 39(3), October.
- Bailey, DeeVon & Brorsen, B. Wade, 1985. "Dynamics Of Regional Fed Cattle Prices," Western Journal of Agricultural Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 10(01), July.
- Ward, Clement E., 2008. "Preferential Cattle and Hog Pricing by Packers: Evidence from Mandatory Price Reports," 2008 Annual Meeting, June 23-24, 2008, Big Sky, Montana 37989, Western Agricultural Economics Association.
- McNew, Kevin & Fackler, Paul L., 1997. "Testing Market Equilibrium: Is Cointegration Informative?," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 22(02), December.
- Colin A. Carter & Sandeep Mohapatra, 2008. "How Reliable Are Hog Futures as Forecasts?," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 90(2), pages 367-378.
- Azzeddine Azzam, 2003. "Market Transparency and Market Structure: The Livestock Mandatory Reporting Act of 1999," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 85(2), pages 387-395.
- Pendell, Dustin L. & Schroeder, Ted C., 2006. "Impact of Mandatory Price Reporting on Fed Cattle Market Integration," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 31(03), December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:joaaec:104624. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.