Japanese Consumersâ€™ Valuation of U.S. Beef and Pork Products after the Beef Trade Ban
Analysis of survey data indicates that Japanese consumers discount their willingness to pay for U.S. beef and pork relative to that of domestic products, but that the discounts have declined from 2006 to 2009. The discounts for U.S. products were greater than those imported from other countries in 2006, but the 2009 discounts were statistically indistinguishable across origins. Our findings also suggest than Japan is a receptive market for meat produced with GM-free feed and for meat products meeting full organic standards.
Volume (Year): 37 (2012)
Issue (Month): 1 (April)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://waeaonline.org/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Brester, Gary W. & Marsh, John M. & Jimmerson, Jason, 2004. "Distributional Impacts of Country-of-Origin Labeling in the U.S. Meat Industry," Agricultural Marketing Policy Center Briefings 29189, Montana State University, Department of Agricultural Economics and Economics.
- Jill E. Hobbs & DeeVon Bailey & David L. Dickinson & Morteza Haghiri, 2005. "Traceability in the Canadian Red Meat Sector: Do Consumers Care?," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 53(1), pages 47-65, 03.
- Frode Alfnes & Kyrre Rickertsen, 2003. "European Consumers' Willingness to Pay for U.S. Beef in Experimental Auction Markets," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 85(2), pages 396-405.
- Brester, Gary W. & Marsh, John M. & Atwood, Joseph A., 2004. "Distributional Impacts of Country-of-Origin Labeling in the U.S. Meat Industry," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 29(02), August.
- Chanjin Chung & Tracy Boyer & Sungill Han, 2009. "Valuing Quality Attributes and Country of Origin in the Korean Beef Market," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 60(3), pages 682-698.
- Mariah D. Ehmke & Jayson L. Lusk & Wallace Tyner, 2008. "Measuring the relative importance of preferences for country of origin in China, France, Niger, and the United States," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 38(3), pages 277-285, 05.
- Zhifeng Gao & Ted C. Schroeder, 2007. "Effects of Label Information on Consumer Willingness-to-Pay for Food Attributes," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 91(3), pages 795-809.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:jlaare:122305. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.