Evaluating The Economic Impacts Of Regional Milk Pricing Authorities: The Case Of Dairy Compacts
Congress consented to the creation of the Northeast Interstate Dairy Compact in the 1996 Federal Agriculture Improvement and Reform Act. Interest is now growing in expanding this compact and creating new multi-regional dairy compacts. Dairy compacts provide a floor for Class I fluid prices and thus stabilize and enhance farm milk prices in compact regions. This analysis indicates that multi-regional dairy compacts will result in clear economic tradeoffs between dairy farmers, processors, retailers, and consumers. While dairy farmers within the compact region may economically benefit from higher farm milk prices, processors, retailers and consumers in the compact region and dairy farmers outside the compact region will face economic losses.
Volume (Year): 29 (2000)
Issue (Month): 2 (October)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.narea.org/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Thomas L. Cox & Jean-Paul Chavas & Edward Jesse, 1994. "Regional Impacts of Reducing Dairy Price Supports and Removing Milk Marketing Orders in the U.S. Dairy Sector," Wisconsin-Madison Agricultural and Applied Economics Staff Papers 377, Wisconsin-Madison Agricultural and Applied Economics Department.
- Suzuki, Nobuhiro & Kaiser, Harry M., 1997. "Imperfect Competition Models and Commodity Promotion Evaluation: The Case of U.S. Generic Milk Advertising," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 29(02), pages 315-325, December.
- Schiek, William A., 1994. "Regional Impacts Of Federal Milk Marketing Order Policy Alternatives," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 23(2), October.
- Suzuki, Nobuhiro & Kaiser, Harry M., 1997. "Imperfect Competition Models And Commodity Promotion Evaluation: The Case Of U.S. Generic Milk Advertising," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 29(02), December.
- Liu, Donald J. & Kaiser, Harry M. & Mount, Timothy D. & Forker, Olan D., 1991.
"Modeling The U.S. Dairy Sector With Government Intervention,"
Western Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 16(02), December.
- Liu, Donald J. & Kaiser, Harry M. & Mount, Timothy D. & Forker, Olan D., 1990. "Modeling the U.S. Dairy Sector with Government Intervention," Staff Papers 121543, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Kaiser, Harry M., 1997. "Impact of National Generic Dairy Advertising on Dairy Markets, 1984–95," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 29(02), pages 303-313, December.
- Daniel A. Sumner & Christopher A. Wolf, 1996. "Quotas without Supply Control: Effects of Dairy Quota Policy in California," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 78(2), pages 354-366.
- Cropp, Robert A. & Gould, Brian W., 1998. "Summary of the USDA Proposed Rule for Federal Milk Marketing Order Reform," Marketing and Policy Briefing Papers 12737, University of Wisconsin-Madison, Department of Agricultural and Applied Economics.
- Lansford, Vernon & Madison, Daniel & Thompson, Wyatt & Willott, Brian & Adams, Gary M. & Babcock, Bruce A. & Beghin, John C. & Mohanty, Samarendu & Fuller, Frank H. & Chaudhary, Sudhir & Fabiosa, Jaci, 1999. "FAPRI 1999 U.S. Agricultural Outlook," Staff Reports 32049, Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI).
- Ippolito, Richard A & Masson, Robert T, 1978. "The Social Cost of Government Regulation of Milk," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 21(1), pages 33-65, April.
- Kaiser, Harry M., 1997. "Impact Of National Generic Dairy Advertising On Dairy Markets, 1984-95," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 29(02), December.
- Kaiser, Harry M., 1996. "Impact of National Generic Dairy Advertising on Dairy Markets, 1984-95," Research Bulletins 122830, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Dale M. Heien & Cathy Roheim Wessells, 1988. "The Demand for Dairy Products: Structure, Prediction, and Decomposition," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 70(2), pages 219-228. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:arerjl:31307. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.