Linking Farmers to Markets for High-Value Agricultural Commodities
Growing demand for high-value food commodities is opening up opportunities for farmers, especially smallholders to diversify towards commodities that have strong potential for higher returns to land, labour and capital. But, there is an apprehension about the capability of smallholders to participate in the market-oriented production due to their lack of access to markets, capital, inputs, and technology and extension services. In this paper, possibilities have been explored of linking smallholders to markets through such institutions as cooperatives, growersâ€™ associations and contract farming that reduce marketing and transaction costs and alleviate some production constraints. Evidence has shown that smallholders do participate and make a sizeable contribution to the production of high-value food commodities, but their links to markets are not strong. Though market institutions like cooperatives, contract farming and growersâ€™ associations do not altogether ignore smallholders, some policy support is imperative to strengthen their linkages with the markets.
Volume (Year): 20 (2007)
Issue (Month): 2007 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.geocities.com/aeraindia/|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- M. Ataman Aksoy & John C. Beghin, 2005.
"Global Agricultural Trade and Developing Countries,"
World Bank Publications,
The World Bank, number 7464, December.
- Aksoy, M. Ataman & Beghin, John C., 2005. "Global Agricultural Trade and Developing Countries," Staff General Research Papers Archive 12228, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Birthal, Pratap S. & Joshi, P. K. & Gulati, Ashok, 2005. "Vertical coordination in high-value commodities," MTID discussion papers 85, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Bharat Ramaswami & Pratap Singh Birthal & P.K. Joshi, 2005. "Efficiency and distribution in contract farming:The case of Indian poultry growers," Indian Statistical Institute, Planning Unit, New Delhi Discussion Papers 05-01, Indian Statistical Institute, New Delhi, India.
- Ramaswami, Bharat & Birthal, Pratap Singh & Joshi, P.K., 2006. "Efficiency and distribution in contract farming: the case of Indian poultry growers," MTID discussion papers 91, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aerrae:47437. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.