The Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification Act
With the passage of the 1988 Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification Act, the United States belatedly joined the large number of industrialized nations that require employers to provide affected workers with advance notice of a plant closing or mass layoff. The authors review the legislation, and consider the possible effects of the mandate on workers' postdisplacement outcomes. Their examination of the impact of the law reveals that the quantity of notice has not increased since the act went into effect. The authors conclude by considering possible reasons why the law has been ineffective.
Volume (Year): 8 (1994)
Issue (Month): 1 (Winter)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://www.aeaweb.org/jep/|
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: https://www.aeaweb.org/subscribe.html|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stephen Nord & Yuan Ting, 1992. "The Impact of Advance Notice: A Rejoinder," ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 45(4), pages 674-682, July.
- Kuhn, Peter, 1992. "Mandatory Notice," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 10(2), pages 117-137, April.
- John T. Addison & Douglas A. Fox & Christopher J. Ruhm, 1992. "The Impact of Advance Notice: A Comment on a Study by Nord and Ting," ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 45(4), pages 665-673, July.
- John T. Addison & McKinley L. Blackburn, 1994. "The Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification Act: Effects on Notice Provision," ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 47(4), pages 650-662, July.
- Edward P. Lazear, 1990. "Job Security Provisions and Employment," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 105(3), pages 699-726.
- John T. Addison & Pedro Portugal, 1992. "Advance Notice and Unemployment: New Evidence from the 1988 Displaced Worker Survey," ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 45(4), pages 645-664, July.
- Michael Podgursky & Paul Swaim, 1987. "Job Displacement and Earnings Loss: Evidence from the Displaced Worker Survey," ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 41(1), pages 17-29, October.