The Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification Act
With the passage of the 1988 Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification Act, the United States belatedly joined the large number of industrialized nations that require employers to provide affected workers with advance notice of a plant closing or mass layoff. The authors review the legislation, and consider the possible effects of the mandate on workers' postdisplacement outcomes. Their examination of the impact of the law reveals that the quantity of notice has not increased since the act went into effect. The authors conclude by considering possible reasons why the law has been ineffective.
Volume (Year): 8 (1994)
Issue (Month): 1 (Winter)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://www.aeaweb.org/jep/|
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: https://www.aeaweb.org/subscribe.html|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John T. Addison & McKinley L. Blackburn, 1994. "The Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification Act: Effects on Notice Provision," ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 47(4), pages 650-662, July.
- Michael Podgursky & Paul Swaim, 1987. "Job Displacement and Earnings Loss: Evidence from the Displaced Worker Survey," ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 41(1), pages 17-29, October.
- Stephen Nord & Yuan Ting, 1992. "The Impact of Advance Notice: A Rejoinder," ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 45(4), pages 674-682, July.
- Kuhn, Peter, 1992. "Mandatory Notice," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 10(2), pages 117-37, April.
- John T. Addison & Pedro Portugal, 1992. "Advance Notice and Unemployment: New Evidence from the 1988 Displaced Worker Survey," ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 45(4), pages 645-664, July.
- John T. Addison & Douglas A. Fox & Christopher J. Ruhm, 1992. "The Impact of Advance Notice: A Comment on a Study by Nord and Ting," ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 45(4), pages 665-673, July.
- Edward P. Lazear, 1990. "Job Security Provisions and Employment," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 105(3), pages 699-726.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:aea:jecper:v:8:y:1994:i:1:p:181-90. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jane Voros)or (Michael P. Albert)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.