Going to College to Avoid the Draft: The Unintended Legacy of the Vietnam War
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Joshua D. Angrist & Alan B. Krueger, 1991.
"Estimating the Payoff to Schooling Using the Vietnam-era Draft Lottery,"
670, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Industrial Relations Section..
- Joshua D. Angrist & Alan B. Krueger, 1992. "Estimating the Payoff to Schooling Using the Vietnam-Era Draft Lottery," NBER Working Papers 4067, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John Bound & Sarah Turner, 2002.
"Going to War and Going to College: Did World War II and the G.I. Bill Increase Educational Attainment for Returning Veterans?,"
Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 20(4), pages 784-815, October.
- John Bound & Sarah E. Turner, 1999. "Going to War and Going to College: Did World War II and the G.I. Bill Increase Educational Attainment for Returning Veterans?," NBER Working Papers 7452, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
Most related itemsThese are the items that most often cite the same works as this one and are cited by the same works as this one.
- Chris Rohlfs, 2010. "Does Combat Exposure Make You a More Violent or Criminal Person? Evidence from the Vietnam Draft," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 45(2).
- Joshua D. Angrist & Stacey H. Chen, 2007. "Long-term consequences of vietnam-era conscription: schooling, experience, and earnings," NBER Working Papers 13411, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ofer Malamud & Abigail Wozniak, 2012. "The Impact of College on Migration: Evidence from the Vietnam Generation," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 47(4), pages 913-950.
- Anne McDaniel & Thomas DiPrete & Claudia Buchmann & Uri Shwed, 2011. "The Black Gender Gap in Educational Attainment: Historical Trends and Racial Comparisons," Demography, Springer;Population Association of America (PAA), vol. 48(3), pages 889-914, August.
- Torun, Huzeyfe, 2019.
"Ex-ante labor market effects of compulsory military service,"
Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 90-110.
- Torun, Huzeyfe, 2014. "Ex-Ante Labor Market Effects of Compulsory Military Service," MPRA Paper 67833, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Huzeyfe Torun, 2016. "Ex-Ante Labor Market Effects of Compulsory Military Service," Working Papers 1622, Research and Monetary Policy Department, Central Bank of the Republic of Turkey.
- Rohlfs Chris, 2012. "The Economic Cost of Conscription and an Upper Bound on the Value of a Statistical Life: Hedonic Estimates from Two Margins of Response to the Vietnam Draft," Journal of Benefit-Cost Analysis, De Gruyter, vol. 3(3), pages 1-37, August.
- Ge, Suqin, 2013. "Estimating the returns to schooling: Implications from a dynamic discrete choice model," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(C), pages 92-105.
- Ian Fillmore & Sean McMahon, 2022. "The Effect of Federal Grants on Student Outcomes," Working Papers 2022-011, Human Capital and Economic Opportunity Working Group.
- Murphy, Richard & Wyness, Gill, 2015.
"Testing means-tested aid,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
66060, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Richard Murphy & Gill Wyness, 2016. "Testing Means-Tested Aid," CESifo Working Paper Series 6105, CESifo.
- Richard Murphy & Gill Wyness, 2015. "Testing Means-Tested Aid," CEP Discussion Papers dp1396, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Richard Murphy & Gill Wyness, 2015. "Testing Means-Tested Aid?," DoQSS Working Papers 15-10, Quantitative Social Science - UCL Social Research Institute, University College London.
- Katarina Keller & Panu Poutvaara & Andreas Wagener, 2009.
"Does Military Draft Discourage Enrollment in Higher Education? Evidence from OECD Countries,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
- Keller, Katarina & Poutvaara, Panu & Wagener, Andreas, 2009. "Does Military Draft Discourage Enrollment in Higher Education? Evidence from OECD Countries," IZA Discussion Papers 4399, Institute of Labor Economics (IZA).
- Giorgio Pietro, 2013.
"Military conscription and university enrolment: evidence from Italy,"
Journal of Population Economics, Springer;European Society for Population Economics, vol. 26(2), pages 619-644, April.
- Di Pietro, Giorgio, 2009. "Military Conscription and University Enrolment: Evidence from Italy," IZA Discussion Papers 4212, Institute of Labor Economics (IZA).
- Kelly Bedard & Olivier Deschênes, 2006. "The Long-Term Impact of Military Service on Health: Evidence from World War II and Korean War Veterans," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 96(1), pages 176-194, March.
- MacKinnon, Mary & Parent, Daniel, 2012.
"Resisting the melting pot: The long term impact of maintaining identity for Franco-Americans in New England,"
Explorations in Economic History, Elsevier, vol. 49(1), pages 30-59.
- Mary MacKinnon & Daniel Parent, 2005. "Resisting the Melting Pot: the Long Term Impact of Maintaining Identity for Franco-Americans in New England," Cahiers de recherche 0517, CIRPEE.
- Mary MacKinnon & Daniel Parent, 2006. "Resisting The Melting Pot: The Long Term Impact Of Maintaining Identity For Franco-Americans In New England," Departmental Working Papers 2005-03, McGill University, Department of Economics.
- Anupam Jena & Casey Mulligan & Tomas J. Philipson & Eric Sun, 2008. "The Value of Life in General Equilibrium," NBER Working Papers 14157, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hai-Anh H. Dang & Trung X. Hoang & Ha Nguyen, 2021.
"The Long-Run and Gender-Equalizing Impacts of School Access: Evidence from the First Indochina War,"
Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 70(1), pages 453-484.
- Dang,Hai-Anh H. & Hoang,Trung Xuan & Nguyen,Ha Minh, 2018. "The long-run and gender-equalizing impacts of school access : evidence from the first Indochina war," Policy Research Working Paper Series 8480, The World Bank.
- Hai-Anh H. Dang & Trung X. Hoang & Ha Nguyen, 2019. "The Long-Run and Gender-Equalizing Impacts of School Access: Evidence from the First Indochina War," HiCN Working Papers 307, Households in Conflict Network.
- Dang, Hai-Anh H. & Hoang, Trung X. & Nguyen, Ha, 2018. "The Long-Run and Gender-Equalizing Impacts of School Access: Evidence from the First Indochina War," GLO Discussion Paper Series 223, Global Labor Organization (GLO).
- Asoni, Andrea & Sanandaji, Tino, 2013. "Rich Man’s War, Poor Man’s Fight? Socioeconomic Representativeness in the Modern Military," Working Paper Series 965, Research Institute of Industrial Economics, revised 16 Dec 2014.
- de Walque, Damien, 2004. "Education, information, and smoking decisions : evidence from smoking histories, 1940-2000," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3362, The World Bank.
- Lorraine Dearden & Barbara Sianesi, 2001. "Estimating the Returns to Education: Models, Methods and Results," CEE Discussion Papers 0016, Centre for the Economics of Education, LSE.
- Marianne Page, 2006. "Father's Education and Children's Human Capital: Evidence from the World War II GI Bill," Working Papers 84, University of California, Davis, Department of Economics.
- Matthew F. Cancian & Michael W. Klein, 2015. "Military Officer Quality in the All-Volunteer Force," NBER Working Papers 21372, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
More about this item
- H56 - Public Economics - - National Government Expenditures and Related Policies - - - National Security and War
- I21 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Education - - - Analysis of Education
- J24 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Human Capital; Skills; Occupational Choice; Labor Productivity
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:aea:aecrev:v:91:y:2001:i:2:p:97-102. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: . General contact details of provider: https://edirc.repec.org/data/aeaaaea.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: Michael P. Albert (email available below). General contact details of provider: https://edirc.repec.org/data/aeaaaea.html .
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.