Staying Together or Breaking Apart: Policy-Makers’ Endogenous Coalitions Formation in the European Economic and Monetary Union
AbstractIn this paper, we analyze coordination of macroeconomic stabilization policies within the EMU by focusing, in a dynamic set-up, on asymmetries, externalities, and the existence of a multi-country context. We study how coalitions among fiscal and monetary authorities are formed and what are their effects on the stabilization of output and price. In particular, our attention is directed to study the consequences on these issues of different institutional contexts in which policy-makers may act. Among other results, we found that, in the presence of externalities, the occurrence of asymmetries is a necessary but not a sufficient condition for cooperation.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series Macroeconomics with number 0301002.
Length: 37 pages
Date of creation: 10 Jan 2003
Date of revision:
Note: Type of Document - pdf; prepared on IBM PC ; pages: 37
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://22.214.171.124
Macroeconomic stabilization; EMU; coalition formation;
Other versions of this item:
- Van Aarle B. & Di Bartolomeo G. & Engwerda J. & Plasmans J., 2002. "Staying together or breaking apart: Policy-makers' endogenous coalitions formation in the European economic and monetary Union," Working Papers 2002013, University of Antwerp, Faculty of Applied Economics.
- Bas van Aarle & Giovanni Di Bartolomeo & Jacob Engwerda & Joseph Plasmans, 2002. "Staying Together or Breaking Apart: Policy-makers’ Endogenous Coalitions Formation in the European Economic and Monetary Union," CESifo Working Paper Series 748, CESifo Group Munich.
- C70 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Game Theory and Bargaining Theory - - - General
- E17 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - General Aggregative Models - - - Forecasting and Simulation: Models and Applications
- E58 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Central Banks and Their Policies
- E61 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook - - - Policy Objectives; Policy Designs and Consistency; Policy Coordination
- E63 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook - - - Comparative or Joint Analysis of Fiscal and Monetary Policy; Stabilization; Treasury Policy
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2003-01-12 (All new papers)
- NEP-CDM-2003-01-12 (Collective Decision-Making)
- NEP-EEC-2003-01-12 (European Economics)
- NEP-IFN-2003-01-12 (International Finance)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Michael G. Arghyrou & Maria Dolores Gadea, 2008.
"The single monetary policy and domestic macro-fundamentals: Evidence from Spain,"
Documentos de Trabajo
dt2008-05, Facultad de Ciencias Económicas y Empresariales, Universidad de Zaragoza.
- Arghyrou, Michael G. & Gadea, Maria Dolores, 2012. "The single monetary policy and domestic macro-fundamentals: Evidence from Spain," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 16-34.
- Arghyrou, Michael G & Gadea, Maria Dolores, 2008. "The single monetary policy and domestic macro-fundamentals: Evidence from Spain," Cardiff Economics Working Papers E2008/23, Cardiff University, Cardiff Business School, Economics Section.
- Joseph Plasmans & Jacob Engwerda & Bas Aarle & Tomasz Michalak, 2009. "Analysis of a monetary union enlargement in the framework of linear-quadratic differential games," International Economics and Economic Policy, Springer, vol. 6(2), pages 135-156, July.
- Giovanni Di Bartolomeo & Jacob Engwerda & Joseph Plasmans & Bas van Aarle, 2005. "Monetary Unions: The Policy Coordination Issue," Macroeconomics 0504023, EconWPA.
- Peter Bofinger & Eric Mayer, 2007.
"Monetary and Fiscal Policy Interaction in the Euro Area with Different Assumptions on the Phillips Curve,"
Open Economies Review,
Springer, vol. 18(3), pages 291-305, July.
- Bofinger, Peter & Mayer, Eric, 2004. "Monetary and Fiscal Policy Interaction in the Euro Area with different assumptions on the Phillips curve," Center for European, Governance and Economic Development Research Discussion Papers 27, University of Goettingen, Department of Economics.
- Bofinger, Peter & Mayer, Eric, 2003. "Monetary and fiscal policy interaction in the Euro area with different assumptions on the Phillips curve," W.E.P. - WÃ¼rzburg Economic Papers 40, University of Würzburg, Chair for Monetary Policy and International Economics.
- Bofinger, Peter & Mayer, Eric, 2004. "Monetary and Fiscal policy Interaction in the Euro Area with Different Assumptions on the Phillips Curve," CEPR Discussion Papers 4790, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Di Bartolomeo Giovanni & Engwerda J. & Plasmans Jozef & Van Aarle Bas, 2003.
"Macroeconomic stabilisation policies in the EMU: Spillovers, asymmetries and institutions,"
2003019, University of Antwerp, Faculty of Applied Economics.
- Joseph Plasmans & Jacob Engwerda & Bas van Aarle & Tomasz Michalak & Giovanni Di Bartolomeo, 2006. "Macroeconomic Stabilization Policies In The Emu: Spillovers, Asymmetries And Institutions," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 53(4), pages 461-484, 09.
- Giovanni Di Bartolomeo & Jacob Engwerda & Joseph Plasmans & Bas van Aarle & Tomasz Michalak, 2005. "Macroeconomic Stabilization Policies in the EMU: Spillovers, Asymmetries, and Institutions," CESifo Working Paper Series 1376, CESifo Group Munich.
- Lukach, R. & Plasmans, J.E.J., 2002. "Measuring Knowledge Spillovers using Patent Citations: Evidence from the Belgian Firm's Data," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-92281, Tilburg University.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.