Regional Unemployment in the EU before and after the Global Crisis
AbstractIn this paper, we have empirically assessed the evolution of European regions in terms of both employment and unemployment during the recent financial crisis and Global Recession. Our specific research questions were as follows: (i) has there been a reversal in employment and unemployment dynamics at a regional level, during the crisis (2007–10) compared to the previous period (2004–07)? (ii) have the western regions in ‘old’ EU states behaved differently in response to the crisis compared with the eastern regions of the NMS? Finally, (iii) are the differences between the two groups of regions related to structural or institutional variables? After a review of the literature on the key determinants of regional unemployment, we have summarized our main findings concerning the Global Crisis’ impact on the labour market. Our econometric investigation aimed to answer the questions we have posed. Structural characteristics have been considered in terms of sector specialization of regional economies. In addition, we have considered certain institutional characteristics, by including indicators of the share of temporary workers and of long-term unemployed. Our analysis has then been targeted at the sub-samples of western- and eastern-European regions: we show that the critical factors for labour market performance during the crisis in these two groups differs greatly. From a methodological viewpoint, we have exploited a spatial filtering technique which allowed us to greatly reduce any unobserved variable bias – a significant problem in cross-sectional models – by accounting for latent unobserved spatial patterns.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis in its series Working Paper Series with number 39_11.
Date of creation: Sep 2011
Date of revision: Jan 2012
Publication status: Forthcoming in Post-Communist Economies
crisis; employment; unemployment; European Union; NUTS-2; spatial filtering; sectoral composition; spatially heterogeneous parameters;
Other versions of this item:
- Enrico Marelli & Roberto Patuelli & Marcello Signorelli, 2012. "Regional unemployment in the EU before and after the global crisis," Post-Communist Economies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 24(2), pages 155-175, January.
- E. Marelli & R. Patuelli & M. Signorelli, 2011. "Regional Unemployment in the EU before and after the Global Crisis," Working Papers wp791, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- C21 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Cross-Sectional Models; Spatial Models; Treatment Effect Models
- R12 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Size and Spatial Distributions of Regional Economic Activity; Interregional Trade (economic geography)
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-10-09 (All new papers)
- NEP-EEC-2011-10-09 (European Economics)
- NEP-EUR-2011-10-09 (Microeconomic European Issues)
- NEP-GEO-2011-10-09 (Economic Geography)
- NEP-LAB-2011-10-09 (Labour Economics)
- NEP-URE-2011-10-09 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Roberto Basile & Luca De Benedictis, 2008. "Regional unemployment and productivity in Europe," Papers in Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 87(2), pages 173-192, 06.
- Roberto Patuelli & Norbert Schanne & Daniel A. Griffith & Peter Nijkamp, 2010.
"Persistent Disparities in Regional Unemployment: Application of a Spatial Filtering Approach to Local Labour Markets in Germany,"
Quaderni della facoltÃ di Scienze economiche dell'UniversitÃ di Lugano
1001, USI Università della Svizzera italiana.
- Roberto Patuelli & Norbert Schanne & Daniel A. Griffith & Peter Nijkamp, 2012. "Persistence Of Regional Unemployment: Application Of A Spatial Filtering Approach To Local Labor Markets In Germany," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 52(2), pages 300-323, 05.
- Roberto Patuelli & Norbert Schanne & Daniel A. Griffith & Peter Nijkamp, 2009. "Persistence of Regional Unemployment: Application of a Spatial Filtering Approach to Local Labour Markets in Germany," Working Paper Series 49_09, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis, revised Nov 2011.
- Patuelli, Roberto & Schanne, Norbert & Griffith, Daniel A. & Nijkamp, Peter, 2011. "Persistence of regional unemployment : Application of a spatial filtering approach to local labour markets in Germany," IAB Discussion Paper 201103, Institut für Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung (IAB), Nürnberg [Institute for Employment Research, Nuremberg, Germany].
- Patuelli, R. & Schanne, N. & Griffith, D.A., 2010. "Persistent disparities in regional unemployment: Application of a spatial filtering approach to local labour markets in Germany," Serie Research Memoranda 0001, VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics.
- R. Patuelli & N. Schanne & D. A. Griffith & P. Nijkamp, 2011. "Persistence of Regional Unemployment: Application of a Spatial Filtering Approach to Local Labour Markets in Germany," Working Papers wp743, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Anselin, Luc, 1990. "Some robust approaches to testing and estimation in spatial econometrics," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 141-163, September.
- Garcilazo, Jose Enrique & Spiezia, Vincenzo, 2007. "Regional Unemployment Clusters: Neighborhood and State Effects in Europe and North America," The Review of Regional Studies, Southern Regional Science Association, vol. 37(3), pages 282-302.
- Simonetta Longhi & Peter Nijkamp & Iulia Traistaru, 2005. "Is Sectoral Diversification a Solution to Unemployment? Evidence from EU Regions," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(4), pages 591-610, November.
- Blanchard, Olivier & Wolfers, Justin, 2000.
"The Role of Shocks and Institutions in the Rise of European Unemployment: The Aggregate Evidence,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 110(462), pages C1-33, March.
- Olivier Blanchard & Justin Wolfers, 1999. "The Role of Shocks and Institutions in the Rise of European Unemployment: The Aggregate Evidence," NBER Working Papers 7282, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Michèle Belot & Jan C. van Ours, 2004.
"Does the recent success of some OECD countries in lowering their unemployment rates lie in the clever design of their labor market reforms?,"
Oxford Economic Papers,
Oxford University Press, vol. 56(4), pages 621-642, October.
- Belot, Michèle & van Ours, Jan C, 2000. "Does the Recent Success of some OECD Countries in Lowering their Unemployment Rates lie in the Clever Design of their Labour Market Reforms?," CEPR Discussion Papers 2492, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Belot, M.V.K. & Ours, J.C. van, 2000. "Does the Recent Success of some OECD Countries in Lowering their Unemployment Rates lie in the Clever Design of their Labour Market Reforms?," Discussion Paper 2000-40, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Belot, Michèle & van Ours, Jan C., 2000. "Does the Recent Success of Some OECD Countries in Lowering their Unemployment Rates Lie in the Clever Design of their Labour Market Reform?," IZA Discussion Papers 147, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Daniel A Griffith, 2008. "Spatial-filtering-based contributions to a critique of geographically weighted regression (GWR)," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 40(11), pages 2751-2769, November.
- Alfonso Arpaia & Nicola Curci, 2010.
"EU labour market behaviour during the Great Recession,"
European Economy - Economic Papers
405, Directorate General Economic and Monetary Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Arpaia, Alfonso & Curci, Nicola, 2010. "EU labour market behaviour during the Great Recession," MPRA Paper 22393, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Alfonso ARPAIA & Nicola CURCI, . "EU labour market behaviour during the Great Recession," Working Papers wp2010-6, Department of the Treasury, Ministry of the Economy and of Finance.
- Olga Demidova & Marcello Signorelli, 2010. "The Impact of Crises on Youth Unemployment of Russian Regions: An Empirical Analysis," Quaderni del Dipartimento di Economia, Finanza e Statistica 78/2010, Università di Perugia, Dipartimento Economia, Finanza e Statistica.
- Stepan Jurajda & Katherine Terrell, 2007.
"Regional Unemployment and Human Capital in Transition Economies,"
CERGE-EI Working Papers
wp345, The Center for Economic Research and Graduate Education - Economic Institute, Prague.
- Stepán Jurajda & Katherine Terrell, 2009. "Regional unemployment and human capital in transition economies," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 17(2), pages 241-274, 04.
- Jurajda, Štepán & Terrell, Katherine, 2007. "Regional Unemployment and Human Capital in Transition Economies," IZA Discussion Papers 3176, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Jurajda, Stepan & Terrell, Katherine, 2007. "Regional Unemployment and Human Capital in Transition Economies," CEPR Discussion Papers 6569, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Oded Izraeli & Kevin J. Murphy, 2003. "The effect of industrial diversity on state unemployment rate and per capita income," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 37(1), pages 1-14, 02.
- Stephen Nickell, 1997. "Unemployment and Labor Market Rigidities: Europe versus North America," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 11(3), pages 55-74, Summer.
- Cristiano Perugini & Marcello Signorelli, 2007. "Labour Market Performance Differentials and Dynamics in EU-15 Countries and Regions," European Journal of Comparative Economics, Cattaneo University (LIUC), vol. 4(2), pages 209-262, September.
- Fabian Bornhorst & Simon Commander, 2006.
"Regional unemployment and its persistence in transition countries,"
The Economics of Transition,
The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 14(2), pages 269-288, 04.
- Bornhorst, Fabian & Commander, Simon, 2004. "Regional Unemployment and its Persistence in Transition Countries," IZA Discussion Papers 1074, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Fatás, Antonio, 1997.
"EMU: Countries or Regions? Lessons from the EMS Experience,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1558, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Fatas, Antonio, 1997. "EMU: Countries or regions? Lessons from the EMS experience," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 41(3-5), pages 743-751, April.
- Peter Huber, 2007. "Regional Labour Market Developments in Transition: A Survey of the Empirical Literature," European Journal of Comparative Economics, Cattaneo University (LIUC), vol. 4(2), pages 263-298, September.
- J. Paul Elhorst, 2003. "The Mystery of Regional Unemployment Differentials: Theoretical and Empirical Explanations," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 17(5), pages 709-748, December.
- Vera Gács & Peter Huber, 2005.
"Quantity adjustments in the regional labour markets of EU candidate countries,"
Papers in Regional Science,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 84(4), pages 553-574, November.
- Vera Gács & Peter Huber, 2005. "Quantity Adjustments in the Regional Labour Markets of EU Candidate Countries," WIFO Working Papers 254, WIFO.
- Bentolila, Samuel & Bertola, Giuseppe, 1990. "Firing Costs and Labour Demand: How Bad Is Eurosclerosis?," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 57(3), pages 381-402, July.
- Stefano Scarpetta & Anne Sonnet & Thomas Manfredi, 2010. "Rising Youth Unemployment During The Crisis: How to Prevent Negative Long-term Consequences on a Generation?," OECD Social, Employment and Migration Working Papers 106, OECD Publishing.
- Florax, Raymond J. G. M. & Folmer, Hendrik & Rey, Sergio J., 2003.
"Specification searches in spatial econometrics: the relevance of Hendry's methodology,"
Regional Science and Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 33(5), pages 557-579, September.
- Raymond J.G.M. Florax & Hendrik Folmer & Sergio J. Rey, 2002. "Specification Searches in Spatial Econometrics: The Relevance of Hendry's Methodology," Urban/Regional 0202001, EconWPA.
- Enrico Marelli & Marcello Signorelli, 2010. "Transition, Regional Features, Growth and Labour Market Dynamics," AIEL Series in Labour Economics, in: Floro Ernesto Caroleo & Francesco Pastore (ed.), The Labour Market Impact of the EU Enlargement. A New Regional Geography of Europe?, edition 1, chapter 5, pages 99-147 AIEL - Associazione Italiana Economisti del Lavoro.
- Athanasios Vamvakidis, 2009. "Regional Wage Differentiation and Wage Bargaining Systems in the European Union," Financial Theory and Practice, Institute of Public Finance, vol. 33(1), pages 73-87.
- Cristiano Perugini & Marcello Signorelli, 2010. "Youth labour market performance in European regions," Economic Change and Restructuring, Springer, vol. 43(2), pages 151-185, May.
- Olivier Jean Blanchard & Lawrence F. Katz, 1992. "Regional Evolutions," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 23(1), pages 1-76.
- Enrico Marelli & Giovanni Bruno & Marcello Signorelli, 2013. "Young People in Crisis: NEETs and Unemployed in EU Regions," ERSA conference papers ersa13p895, European Regional Science Association.
- Josef C Brada & Marcello Signorelli, 2012. "Comparing Labor Market Performance: Some Stylized Facts and Key Findings," Comparative Economic Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 54(2), pages 231-250, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roberto Patuelli).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.