Regional Wage Differentiation and Wage Bargaining Systems in the European Union
AbstractThe theoretical literature has argued that a centralized wage bargaining system may result in low regional wage differentiation and high regional unemployment differentials. The empirical literature has found that centralized wage bargaining leads to lower wage inequality for different skills, industries and population groups, but the evidence on its impact on regional wage differentiation is scant. Empirical evidence in this paper for European Union regions for the period 1980-2000 suggests that countries with more coordinated wage bargaining systems have lower regional wage differentials, after controlling for regional productivity and unemployment differentials. Estimates from wage curves for Germany and Italy based on panels of regions also suggest some links between the estimated elasticities and the level of coordination in wage bargaining.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Institute of Public Finance in its journal Financial Theory and Practice.
Volume (Year): 33 (2009)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
regional wage differentiation; wage bargaining system;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Barth, Erling & Bratsberg, Bernt & Naylor, Robin A. & Raaum, Oddbjørn, 2002. "Explaining Variations in Wage Curves: Theory and Evidence," Memorandum 03/2002, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- JÃ¶rg Decressin & Anja Decressin, 2002. "On Sand and the Role of Grease in Labor Markets," IMF Working Papers 02/164, International Monetary Fund.
- Anna Iara & Iulia Traistaru, 2004.
"How Flexible are Wages in EU Accession Countries?,"
ERSA conference papers
ersa04p191, European Regional Science Association.
- Anna Iara & Iulia Traistaru, 2004. "How Flexible Are Wages In EU Accession Countries?," Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2004 128, Royal Economic Society.
- Iara, Anna & Traistaru, Iulia, 2003. "How flexible are wages in EU accession countries?," ZEI Working Papers B 25-2003, ZEI - Center for European Integration Studies, University of Bonn.
- Carlo Dell'Aringa & Laura Pagani, 2007. "Collective Bargaining and Wage Dispersion in Europe," British Journal of Industrial Relations, London School of Economics, vol. 45(1), pages 29-54, 03.
- Lucio R. Pench & Paolo Sestito & Elisabetta Frontini, 1999. "Some unpleasant arithmetics of regional unemployment in the EU. Are there any lessons for EMU?," European Economy - Economic Papers 134, Directorate General Economic and Monetary Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- repec:fth:eeccco:134 is not listed on IDEAS
- Luigi Guiso & Luigi Pistaferri & Fabiano Schivardi, 2002.
"Insurance within the firm,"
10th International Conference on Panel Data, Berlin, July 5-6, 2002
C3-1, International Conferences on Panel Data.
- Luigi Guiso & Luigi Pistaferri & Fabiano Schivardi, 2001. "Insurance within the Firm," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 414, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Guiso, Luigi & Pistaferri, Luigi & Schivardi, Fabiano, 2001. "Insurance Within the Firm," CEPR Discussion Papers 2793, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Demertzis, Maria & Hughes Hallett, Andrew & Schermer, Nicolien, 2009.
"Europeanization or globalization? Transnational wage bargaining and the distribution of activity in European labor markets,"
The North American Journal of Economics and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 177-192, August.
- Maria Demertzis & Andrew Hughes Hallett & Nicolien Schermer, 2008. "Europeanization or Globalization? Transnational Wage Bargaining and the Distribution of Activity in European Labor Markets," DNB Working Papers 186, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Christopher Erickson & Andrea Ichino, 1995.
"Wage Differentials in Italy: Market Forces, Institutions, and Inflation,"
in: Differences and Changes in Wage Structures, pages 265-306
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Christopher L. Erikson & Andrea Ichino, 1994. "Wage Differentials in Italy: Market Forces, Institutions, and Inflation," NBER Working Papers 4922, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cukierman, Alex & Lippi, Francesco, 1999.
"Central bank independence, centralization of wage bargaining, inflation and unemployment:: Theory and some evidence,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 43(7), pages 1395-1434, June.
- Cukierman, A. & Lippi, F., 1998. "Central Bank Independence, Centralization of Wage Bargaining, Inflation and Unemployment - Theory and Some Evidence," Discussion Paper 1998-116, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Alun H. Thomas, 2002. "The Costs and Benefits of Various Wage Bargaining Structures," IMF Working Papers 02/71, International Monetary Fund.
- Brunello, Giorgio & Lupi, Claudio & Ordine, Patrizia, 2001. "Widening differences in Italian regional unemployment," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 103-129, January.
- Robert J. Flanagan, 1999. "Macroeconomic Performance and Collective Bargaining: An International Perspective," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 37(3), pages 1150-1175, September.
- E. Marelli & R. Patuelli & M. Signorelli, 2011.
"Regional Unemployment in the EU before and after the Global Crisis,"
wp791, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Enrico Marelli & Roberto Patuelli & Marcello Signorelli, 2012. "Regional unemployment in the EU before and after the global crisis," Post-Communist Economies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 24(2), pages 155-175, January.
- Enrico Marelli & Roberto Patuelli & Marcello Signorelli, 2011. "Regional Unemployment in the EU before and after the Global Crisis," Working Paper Series 39_11, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis, revised Jan 2012.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Martina Fabris).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.