The effect of industrial diversity on state unemployment rate and per capita income
AbstractThis paper examines the effect of industrial diversification on state unemployment and per capita income. Diversification may provide a form of employment insurance to states during cyclic downturns. Thus well diversified states should experience lower unemployment. To the extent that specialization confers economic benefit, however, more concentrated states should have higher per capita personal income. We use two sets of panel data for seventeen states spanning a thirty-eight year period to test these hypotheses. When state heterogeneity is controlled for properly, our results show that a strong link exists between industrial diversity and reduced unemployment. The evidence that per capita personal income is associated with industrial concentration is much weaker. Copyright Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg 2003
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal The Annals of Regional Science.
Volume (Year): 37 (2003)
Issue (Month): 1 (02)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/00168/index.htm
More information through EDIRC
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- JEL - Labor and Demographic Economics - - - - -
- cla - - - - - -
- R23 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Household Analysis - - - Regional Migration; Regional Labor Markets; Population
- J6 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Mobility, Unemployment, Vacancies, and Immigrant Workers
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Hakan Berument & Nukhet Dogan & Aysit Tansel, 2008.
"Macroeconomic Policy and Unemployment by Economic Activity: Evidence from Turkey,"
429, Economic Research Forum, revised Aug 2008.
- M. Hakan Berument & Nukhet Dogan & Aysit Tansel, 2009. "Macroeconomic Policy and Unemployment by Economic Activity: Evidence from Turkey," Emerging Markets Finance and Trade, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 45(3), pages 21-34, May.
- Berument, Hakan & Dogan, Nukhet & Tansel, Aysit, 2008. "Macroeconomic Policy and Unemployment by Economic Activity: Evidence from Turkey," IZA Discussion Papers 3461, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Hakan Berument & Nukhet Dogan & Aysit Tansel, 2008. "Macroeconomic Policy and Unemployment by Economic Activity: Evidence from Turkey," Working Papers 2008/7, Turkish Economic Association.
- Hakan Berument & Nukhet Dogan & Aysit Tansel, 2008. "Macroeconomic Policy and Unemployment by Economic Activity: Evidence from Turkey," ERC Working Papers 0803, ERC - Economic Research Center, Middle East Technical University, revised Apr 2008.
- FU, Shihe & DONG, Xiaofang & CHAI, Guojun, 2010.
"Industry specialization, diversification, churning, and unemployment in Chinese cities,"
China Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 21(4), pages 508-520, December.
- Fu, Shihe & Dong, Xiaofang & Chai, Guojun, 2008. "Industry specialization, diversification, churning, and unemployment in Chinese cities," MPRA Paper 15339, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Joshua Drucker, 2009. "Trends in Regional Industrial Concentration in the United States," Working Papers 09-06, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Enrico Marelli & Roberto Patuelli & Marcello Signorelli, 2011.
"Regional Unemployment in the EU before and after the Global Crisis,"
Working Paper Series
39_11, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis, revised Jan 2012.
- Enrico Marelli & Roberto Patuelli & Marcello Signorelli, 2012. "Regional unemployment in the EU before and after the global crisis," Post-Communist Economies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 24(2), pages 155-175, January.
- E. Marelli & R. Patuelli & M. Signorelli, 2011. "Regional Unemployment in the EU before and after the Global Crisis," Working Papers wp791, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Keizo Mizuno & Fumitoshi Mizutani & Noriyoshi Nakayama, 2006.
"Industrial diversity and metropolitan unemployment rate,"
The Annals of Regional Science,
Springer, vol. 40(1), pages 157-172, March.
- Fumitoshi Mizutani & Keizo Mizuno & Noriyoshi Nakayama, 2003. "Industrial Diversity and Metropolitan Unemployment Rate," ERSA conference papers ersa03p141, European Regional Science Association.
- Gnidchenko, Andrey, 2010.
"Defragmentation of Economic Growth with a Focus on Diversification: Evidence from Russian Economy,"
27113, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Andrey A. GNIDCHENKO, 2011. "Defragmentation Of Economic Growth With A Focus On Diversification: Evidence From Russian Economy," Theoretical and Practical Research in Economic Fields, ASERS Publishing, vol. 0(1), pages 45-85, June.
- Claudia Buch & Martin Schlotter, 2013.
"Regional origins of employment volatility: evidence from German states,"
Springer, vol. 40(1), pages 1-19, February.
- Claudia M. Buch & Martin Schlotter, 2008. "Regional Origins of Employment Volatility: Evidence from German States," CESifo Working Paper Series 2296, CESifo Group Munich.
- André Mollick, 2008. "What explains unemployment in US–Mexican border cities?," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 42(1), pages 169-182, March.
- Koen Frenken & Frank G. van Oort & Thijs Verburg & Ron A. Boschma, 2004. "Variety and regional economic growth in the Netherlands," Papers in Evolutionary Economic Geography (PEEG) 0502, Utrecht University, Section of Economic Geography, revised Dec 2004.
- Shu-hen Chiang, 2009. "The effects of industrial diversification on regional unemployment in Taiwan: is the portfolio theory applicable?," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 43(4), pages 947-962, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.