Specification searches in spatial econometrics: the relevance of Hendry's methodology
AbstractThis paper brings together a number of new specification search strategies in spatial econometric modeling. In the literature, experimental results for several forward stepwise strategies aimed at remedying spatial dependence, have been reported. Essentially, these strategies boil down to the expansion of a spatial linear regression model with spatially lagged variables, conditional upon the results of misspecification tests. We investigate a Hendry-like specification strategy, starting from the spatial common factor model and subsequently reducing the number of spatially lagged variables on the basis of significance tests. The experimental simulations pertain to various small to large sample sizes, with spatial processes modeled on regular lattice surfaces. Our main conclusion is that the classical forward stepwise approach outperforms the Hendry strategy in terms of finding the true data generating process as well as in the observed accuracy of the estimators for spatial and non-spatial parameters. It also dominates concurrent forward stepwise strategies recently suggested in the literature.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Regional Science and Urban Economics.
Volume (Year): 33 (2003)
Issue (Month): 5 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/regec
Other versions of this item:
- Raymond J.G.M. Florax & Hendrik Folmer & Sergio J. Rey, 2002. "Specification Searches in Spatial Econometrics: The Relevance of Hendry's Methodology," Urban/Regional 0202001, EconWPA.
- C12 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Hypothesis Testing: General
- C13 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Estimation: General
- C15 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Statistical Simulation Methods: General
- C52 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Model Evaluation, Validation, and Selection
- R15 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Econometric and Input-Output Models; Other Methods
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Florax, R. & Folmer, H., 1991.
"Specification and Estimation of Spatial Linear Regression Models: Monte Carlo Evaluation of Pre-Test Estimator,"
Mansholt Working Papers
1991-4, Wageningen University, Mansholt Graduate School of Social Sciences.
- Florax, Raymond & Folmer, Henk, 1992. "Specification and estimation of spatial linear regression models : Monte Carlo evaluation of pre-test estimators," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 405-432, September.
- Thomas de Graaff & Raymond J.C.M. Florax & Peter Nijkamp & Aura Reggiani, 2001. "A General Misspecification Test for Spatial Regression Models: Dependence, Heterogeneity, and Nonlinearity," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(2), pages 255-276.
- Anselin, Luc & Hudak, Sheri, 1992. "Spatial econometrics in practice : A review of software options," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 509-536, September.
- Bera, Anil K. & Yoon, Mann J., 1993. "Specification Testing with Locally Misspecified Alternatives," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 9(04), pages 649-658, August.
- Anselin, Luc & Bera, Anil K. & Florax, Raymond & Yoon, Mann J., 1996. "Simple diagnostic tests for spatial dependence," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 77-104, February.
This item has more than 25 citations. To prevent cluttering this page, these citations are listed on a separate page. reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.