Thirty years of spatial econometrics
AbstractIn this paper, I give a personal view on the development of the field of spatial econometrics during the past 30 years. I argue that it has moved from the margins to the mainstream of applied econometrics and social science methodology. I distinguish three broad phases in the development, which I refer to as preconditions, take off and maturity. For each of these phases I describe the main methodological focus and list major contributions. I conclude with some speculations about future directions. Copyright (c) 2010 the author(s). Journal compilation (c) 2010 RSAI.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Papers in Regional Science.
Volume (Year): 89 (2010)
Issue (Month): 1 (03)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=1056-8190
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Nguyen-Hoang, Phuong & Yinger, John, 2011. "The capitalization of school quality into house values: A review," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 30-48, March.
- Shuangzhe Liu & Tiefeng Ma & Wolfgang Polasek, 2012.
"Spatial System Estimators for Panel Models: A Sensitivity and Simulation Study,"
Working Paper Series
05_13, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis.
- Shuangzhe Liu & Tiefeng Ma & Wolfgang Polasek, 2012. "Spatial System Estimators for Panel Models: A Sensitivity and Simulation Study," Working Paper Series 75_12, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis.
- Liu, Shuangzhe & Ma, Tiefeng & Polasek, Wolfgang, 2012. "Spatial System Estimators for Panel Models: A Sensitivity and Simulation Study," Economics Series 294, Institute for Advanced Studies.
- Tsusaka, Takuji W. & Kajisa, Kei & Pede, Valerien O. & Aoyagi, Keitaro, 2013.
"Neighbourhood effects and social behaviour: the case of irrigated and rainfed farmeres in Bohol, the Philippines,"
50130, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Tsusaka, Takuji W. & Kajisa, Kei & Pede, Valerien O. & Aoyagi, Keitaro, 2013. "Neighbourhood effects and social behaviour: the case of irrigated and rainfed farmeres in Bohol, the Philippines," MPRA Paper 50162, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Abhimanyu Gupta & M. Robinson, 2013. "Inference on Higher-Order Spatial Autoregressive Models with Increasingly Many Parameters," Economics Discussion Papers 735, University of Essex, Department of Economics.
- Stephen Matthews & Daniel M. Parker, 2013. "Progress in Spatial Demography," Demographic Research, Max Planck Institute for Demographic Research, Rostock, Germany, vol. 28(10), pages 271-312, February.
- VÃtor Martinho, 2011.
"Spatial Effects in Convergence of Portuguese Product,"
79, globADVANTAGE, Polytechnic Institute of Leiria.
- Vitor Joao Pereira Domingues Martinho, 2011. "Spatial Effects in Convergence of Portuguese Product," Papers 1110.5556, arXiv.org.
- Tsusaka, Takuji W. & Kajisa, Kei & Pede, Valerien O. & Aoyagi, Keitaro, 2012. "Neighborhood Effects on Social Behavior: The Case of Irrigated and Rainfed Farmers in Bohol, the Philippines," 2012 Annual Meeting, August 12-14, 2012, Seattle, Washington 124789, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Michael Brady & Elena Irwin, 2011. "Accounting for Spatial Effects in Economic Models of Land Use: Recent Developments and Challenges Ahead," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 48(3), pages 487-509, March.
- Canova, Fabio & Ciccarelli, Matteo, 2013. "Panel Vector Autoregressive Models: A Survey," CEPR Discussion Papers 9380, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Kathrine Lausted Veie & Toke Emil Panduro, 2013. "An alternative to the standard spatial econometric approaches in hedonic house price models," IFRO Working Paper 2013/18, University of Copenhagen, Department of Food and Resource Economics.
- R. Paci & E. Marrocu, 2012. "Tourism and regional growth in Europe," Working Paper CRENoS 201235, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
- Victor Aguirregabiria & Gustavo Vicentini, 2012.
"Dynamic Spatial Competition Between Multi-Store Firms,"
tecipa-457, University of Toronto, Department of Economics.
- Victor Aguirregabiria & Gustavo Vicentini, 2006. "Dynamic Spatial Competition Between Multi-Store Firms," Working Papers tecipa-253, University of Toronto, Department of Economics.
- Pavlyuk, Dmitry, 2012. "Maximum Likelihood Estimator for Spatial Stochastic Frontier Models," MPRA Paper 43390, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Tobias Scholl & Thomas Brenner & Martin Wendel, 2012. "Evolving localization patterns of company foundations - Evidence from the German MST-industry," Working Papers on Innovation and Space 2012-05, Philipps University Marburg, Department of Geography.
- Luc Anselin, 2011. "From SpaceStat to CyberGIS: Twenty Years of Spatial Data Analysis Software," GeoDa Center Working Papers 1047, GeoDa Center for Geospatial Analysis and Computation.
- J. Paul Elhorst & Katarina Zigova, 2011. "Evidence of Competition in Research Activity among Economic Department using Spatial Econometric Techniques," Working Paper Series of the Department of Economics, University of Konstanz 2011-04, Department of Economics, University of Konstanz.
- Martinho, Vítor João Pereira Domingues, 2011. "A spatial model based on the endogenous growth theory for Portugal. Another approach," MPRA Paper 33713, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Kato, Takafumi, 2012. "Prediction in the lognormal regression model with spatial error dependence," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 66-76.
- Yagi, Hironori, 2012. "Farm size and Distance-to-Field in Scattered Rice Field Areas:with Integration of Plot and Farm Data," 2012 Conference, August 18-24, 2012, Foz do Iguacu, Brazil 125390, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Canova, Fabio & Ciccarelli, Matteo, 2013. "Panel vector autoregressive models: a survey," Working Paper Series 1507, European Central Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.