Estimation of Spatial Regression Models with Autoregressive Errors by Two Stage Least Squares Procedures: A Serious Problem
AbstractVarious two stage least squares procedures have been suggested for the estimation of the autoregressive parameter in the spatial autoregressive model of order one. These procedures are computationally convenient and so their use is "tempting". In this paper we show that these procedures are, in general, not consistent and therefore should not be used.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Maryland, Department of Economics in its series Electronic Working Papers with number 97-001.
Date of creation: Apr 1997
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Department of Economics, University of Maryland, Tydings Hall, College Park, MD 20742
Web page: http://www.econ.umd.edu/
Postal: Ms. Elizabeth Martinez, Department of Economics, University of Maryland, Tydings Hall, College Park, MD 20742
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C13 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Estimation: General
- C21 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Cross-Sectional Models; Spatial Models; Treatment Effect Models
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dubin, Robin A, 1988. "Estimation of Regression Coefficients in the Presence of Spatially Autocorrelated Error Terms," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 70(3), pages 466-74, August.
- Benedikt M. Pötscher & Ingmar R. Prucha, 1999. "Basic Elements of Asymptotic Theory," Electronic Working Papers 99-001, University of Maryland, Department of Economics.
- Case, Anne C, 1991. "Spatial Patterns in Household Demand," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(4), pages 953-65, July.
- Anselin, Luc, 1990. "Some robust approaches to testing and estimation in spatial econometrics," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 141-163, September.
- P Burridge, 1981. "Testing for a common factor in a spatial autoregression model," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 13(7), pages 795-800, July.
- Claudio A Agostini, 2011.
"Neighbor Effects in the Provision of Public Goods in a Young Democracy: Evidence from China,"
wp_008, Adolfo Ibáñez University, School of Government.
- Agostini, Claudio A. & Brown, Philip H. & Zhang, Xiaobo, 2010. "Neighbor effects in the provision of public goods in a young democracy: Evidence from China," IFPRI discussion papers 1027, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Sylvain Barde, 2008.
"The spatial structure of French wages : Investigating the robustness of two-stage least squares estimations of spatial autoregressive models,"
Sciences Po publications
2008-03, Sciences Po.
- Sylvain Barde, 2008. "The spatial structure of French wages: Investigating the robustness of two-stage least squares estimations of spatial autoregressive models," Documents de Travail de l'OFCE 2008-03, Observatoire Francais des Conjonctures Economiques (OFCE).
- Barbara ERMINI & Raffaella SANTOLINI, 2007. "Horizontal Interaction on Local Councils' Expenditures. Evidence from Italy," Working Papers 278, Universita' Politecnica delle Marche (I), Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali.
- Helmers, Christian & Patnam, Manasa, 2011.
"Does the Rotten Child Spoil His Companion? Spatial Peer Effects Among Children in Rural India,"
Proceedings of the German Development Economics Conference, Berlin 2011
40, Verein für Socialpolitik, Research Committee Development Economics.
- Christian Helmers & Manasa Patnam, 2010. "Does the Rotten Child Spoil His Companion? Spatial Peer Effects Among Children in Rural India," SERC Discussion Papers 0059, Spatial Economics Research Centre, LSE.
- Christian Helmers & Manasa Patnam, 2010. "Does the Rotten Child Spoil His Companion? Spatial Peer Effects Among Children in Rural India," Economics Series Working Papers CSAE WPS/2010-13, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Christian Helmers & Manasa Patnam, 2010. "Does the Rotten Child Spoil His Companion? Spatial Peer Effects Among Children in Rural India," CSAE Working Paper Series 2010-13, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- Raffaella SANTOLINI, 2007. "An Empitical Analysis of Political and Informative Trends on Municipalities of an Italian Region," Working Papers 294, Universita' Politecnica delle Marche (I), Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali.
- Anselin, Luc, 2002. "Under the hood : Issues in the specification and interpretation of spatial regression models," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 27(3), pages 247-267, November.
- LE GALLO, Julie, 2000. "Econométrie spatiale 1 -Autocorrélation spatiale," LATEC - Document de travail - Economie (1991-2003) 2000-05, LATEC, Laboratoire d'Analyse et des Techniques EConomiques, CNRS UMR 5118, Université de Bourgogne.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peter Murrell).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.