An Intertemporal CAPM with Stochastic Volatility
AbstractThis paper extends the approximate closed-form intertemporal capital asset pricing model of Campbell (1993) to allow for stochastic volatility. The return on the aggregate stock market is modeled as one element of a vector autoregressive (VAR) system, and the volatility of all shocks to the VAR is another element of the system. Our estimates of this VAR reveal novel low-frequency movements in market volatility tied to the default spread. We show that growth stocks underperform value stocks because they hedge two types of deterioration in investment opportunities: declining expected stock returns, and increasing volatility.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc in its series NBER Working Papers with number 18411.
Date of creation: Sep 2012
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G12 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Asset Pricing
- N22 - Economic History - - Financial Markets and Institutions - - - U.S.; Canada: 1913-
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Committee, Nobel Prize, 2013. "Understanding Asset Prices," Nobel Prize in Economics documents 2013-1, Nobel Prize Committee.
- Turan G. Bali & Hao Zhou, 2013. "Risk, Uncertainty, and Expected Returns," KoÃ§ University-TUSIAD Economic Research Forum Working Papers 1306, Koc University-TUSIAD Economic Research Forum.
- Dong Lou & Christopher Polk, . "Inferring Arbitrage Activity from Return Correlations," FMG Discussion Papers dp721, Financial Markets Group.
- Larry G. Epstein & Shaolin Ji, 2013.
"Ambiguous volatility and asset pricing in continuous time,"
- Larry G. Epstein & Shaolin Ji, 2013. "Ambiguous Volatility and Asset Pricing in Continuous Time," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 26(7), pages 1740-1786.
- Larry G. Epstein & Shaolin Ji, 2012. "Ambiguous Volatility and Asset Pricing in Continuous Time," CIRANO Working Papers 2012s-29, CIRANO.
- Marcelo Ochoa, 2013. "Volatility, labor heterogeneity and asset prices," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2013-71, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Tim Bollerslev & Lai Xu & Hao Zhou, 2012. "Stock Return and Cash Flow Predictability: The Role of Volatility Risk," CREATES Research Papers 2012-51, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.