Strategy-Proof Risk Sharing
AbstractWe consider risk sharing problems with a single good and ?nite number of states. Agents have a common prior and their preferences are represented in the expected utility form and are risk averse. We study efficient and individually rational risk sharing rules satisfying strategy-proofness, the requirement that no one can ever be bene?ted by misrepresenting his preference. When aggregate certainty holds, we show that ¡°?xed price selections¡± from the Walrasian correspondence are the only rules satisfying efficiency, individual rationality, and strategy-proofness. However, when aggregate uncertainty holds, we show that there exists no rule satisfying the three requirements. Moreover, in the two agents case, we show that dictatorial rules are the only efficient and strategy-proof rules. Dropping the common prior assumption in the model, we show that this assumption is necessary and sufficient for the existence of rules satisfying the three main requirements in the two agents and aggregate certainty case.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Kansas, Department of Economics in its series WORKING PAPERS SERIES IN THEORETICAL AND APPLIED ECONOMICS with number 200305.
Length: 37 pages
Date of creation: Apr 2003
Date of revision: Apr 2003
Risk sharing; strategy-proofness; efficiency; individual rationality.;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Barbera, Salvador & Jackson, Matthew O, 1995.
Econometric Society, vol. 63(1), pages 51-87, January.
- Benassy, Jean-Pascal, 1986.
"On Competitive Market Mechanisms,"
Econometric Society, vol. 54(1), pages 95-108, January.
- Chateauneuf, Alain & Dana, Rose-Anne & Tallon, Jean-Marc, 2000.
"Optimal risk-sharing rules and equilibria with Choquet-expected-utility,"
Journal of Mathematical Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 191-214, October.
- Tallon, Jean-Marc & Dana, Rose-Anne & Chateauneuf, Alain, 2000. "Optimal risk-sharing rules and equilibria with Choquet-expected-utility," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/5461, Paris Dauphine University.
- David Schmeidler, 1989.
"Subjective Probability and Expected Utility without Additivity,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
7662, David K. Levine.
- Schmeidler, David, 1989. "Subjective Probability and Expected Utility without Additivity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(3), pages 571-87, May.
- Thomson, William, 1984. "The Manipulability of Resource Allocation Mechanisms," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 51(3), pages 447-60, July.
- François Maniquet & Yves Sprumont, 1999.
"Efficient strategy-proof allocation functions in linear production economies,"
Springer, vol. 14(3), pages 583-595.
- MANIQUET, François & SPRUMONT, Yves, 1998. "Efficient Strategy-Proof Allocation Functions in Linear Production Economies," Cahiers de recherche 9805, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Machina,Mark & Schmeidler,David, 1991.
"A more robust definition of subjective probability,"
Discussion Paper Serie A
365, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Machina, Mark J & Schmeidler, David, 1992. "A More Robust Definition of Subjective Probability," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 60(4), pages 745-80, July.
- Mark J. Machina & David Schmeidler, 1990. "A More Robust Definition of Subjective Probability," Discussion Paper Serie A 306, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Serizawa, Shigehiro & Weymark, John A., 2003.
"Efficient strategy-proof exchange and minimum consumption guarantees,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 109(2), pages 246-263, April.
- Shigehiro Serizawa & John A. Weymark, 2002. "Efficient Strategy-Proof Exchange and Minimum Consumption Guarantees," Vanderbilt University Department of Economics Working Papers 0216, Vanderbilt University Department of Economics, revised Aug 2002.
- Sobel, Joel, 1998. "Manipulation of Preferences and Relative Utilitarianism," University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series qt1x32m32n, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Serizawa, Shigehiro, 2002. "Inefficiency of Strategy-Proof Rules for Pure Exchange Economies," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 106(2), pages 219-241, October.
- Satterthwaite, Mark Allen, 1975. "Strategy-proofness and Arrow's conditions: Existence and correspondence theorems for voting procedures and social welfare functions," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 187-217, April.
- Hurwicz, L, 1979. "Outcome Functions Yielding Walrasian and Lindahl Allocations at Nash Equilibrium Points," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 46(2), pages 217-25, April.
- Schmeidler, David, 1980. "Walrasian Analysis via Strategic Outcome Functions," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(7), pages 1585-93, November.
- Yaari, Menahem E, 1987. "The Dual Theory of Choice under Risk," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(1), pages 95-115, January.
- Eric Maskin, 1998.
"Nash Equilibrium and Welfare Optimality,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
1829, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Satterthwaite, Mark A & Sonnenschein, Hugo, 1981. "Strategy-Proof Allocation Mechanisms at Differentiable Points," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 48(4), pages 587-97, October.
- repec:hal:cesptp:halshs-00174553 is not listed on IDEAS
- Bacharach, Michael, 1985. "Some extensions of a claim of Aumann in an axiomatic model of knowledge," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 167-190, October.
- Sobel, Joel, 1981. "Distortion of Utilities and the Bargaining Problem," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(3), pages 597-619, May.
- Billot, A. & Chateauneuf, A. & Gilboa, I. & Tallon, J.-M., 1998.
"Sharing Beliefs: Between Agreeing and Disagreeing,"
Papiers d'Economie MathÃÂ©matique et Applications
98.30, UniversitÃ© PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- William Thomson, 2007. "Fair Allocation Rules," RCER Working Papers 539, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Lin Zhou, 1990. "Inefficiency of Strategy-Proof Allocation Mechanisms in Pure Exchange Economies," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 954, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- James Schummer, 1996. "Strategy-proofness versus efficiency on restricted domains of exchange economies," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer, vol. 14(1), pages 47-56.
- McKelvey, Richard D & Page, Talbot, 1986. "Common Knowledge, Consensus, and Aggregate Information," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 54(1), pages 109-27, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jianbo Zhang).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.