Optimal risk-sharing rules and equilibria with Choquet-expected-utility
AbstractThis paper explores risk-sharing and equilibrium in a general equilibrium set-up wherein agents are non-additive expected utility maximizers. We show that when agents have the same convex capacity, the set of Pareto-optima is independent of it and identical to the set of optima of an economy in which agents are expected utility maximizers and have same probability. Hence, optimal allocations are comonotone. This enables us to study the equilibrium set. When agents have different capacities, matters are much more complex (as in the vNM case). We give a general characterization and show how it simplifies when Pareto-optima are comonotone. We use this result to characterize Pareto-optima when agents have capacities that are the convex transform of some probability distribution. comonotonicity of Pareto-optima is also shown to be true in the two-state case if the intersection of the core of agents' capacities is non-empty; Pareto-optima may then be fully characterized in the two-agent, two-state case. This comonotonicity result does not generalize to more than two states as we show with a counter-example. Finally, if there is no-aggregate risk, we show that non-empty core intersection is enough to guarantee that optimal allocations are full-insurance allocation. This result does not require convexity of preferences.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by HAL in its series Post-Print with number halshs-00451997.
Date of creation: 2000
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published, Journal of Mathematical Economics, 2000, 34, 2, 191-214
Note: View the original document on HAL open archive server: http://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00451997
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/
Choquet expected utility; comonotonicity; risk-sharing; equilibrium;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tallon, Jean-Marc, 1998. "Do sunspots matter when agents are Choquet-expected-utility maximizers?," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 357-368, March.
- Quiggin, John, 1982. "A theory of anticipated utility," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 323-343, December.
- Dow, James & Werlang, Sergio Ribeiro da Costa, 1992. "Uncertainty Aversion, Risk Aversion, and the Optimal Choice of Portfolio," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 60(1), pages 197-204, January.
- Malinvaud, E., 1972. "The allocation of individual risks in large markets," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 4(2), pages 312-328, April.
- Cass, David & Chichilnisky, Graciela & Wu, Ho-Mou, 1996. "Individual Risk and Mutual Insurance," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 64(2), pages 333-41, March.
- Epstein, Larry G & Wang, Tan, 1994. "Intertemporal Asset Pricing Under Knightian Uncertainty," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 62(2), pages 283-322, March.
- Sujoy Mukerji & Jean-Marc Tallon, 2003. "An overview of economic applications of David Schmeidler`s models of decision making under uncertainty," Economics Series Working Papers 165, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Alain Chateauneuf & Mina Mostoufi & David Vyncke, 2014. "Multivariate risk sharing and the derivation of individually rational Pareto optima," Documents de travail du Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne 14003, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1), Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne.
- Amarante, M & Ghossoub, M & Phelps, E, 2013. "Innovation, Entrepreneurship and Knightian Uncertainty," Working Papers 12241, Imperial College, London, Imperial College Business School.
- Darri-Mattiacci, Giuseppe & Langlais, Eric, 2008.
"Social wealth and optimal care,"
9418, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Rose-Anne Dana & Frank Riedel, 2010.
"Intertemporal Equilibria with Knightian Uncertainty,"
440, Bielefeld University, Center for Mathematical Economics.
- Dana, Rose-Anne & Riedel, Frank, 2013. "Intertemporal equilibria with Knightian uncertainty," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 148(4), pages 1582-1605.
- Riedel, Frank & Dana, Rose-Anne, 2013. "Intertemporal equilibria with Knightian uncertainty," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/11268, Paris Dauphine University.
- Riedel, Frank & Dana, Rose-Anne, 2010. "Intertemporal Equilibria with Knightian Uncertainty," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/5375, Paris Dauphine University.
- Alain Chateauneuf & Caroline Ventura, 2008. "The no-trade interval of Dow and Werlang : some clarifications," Post-Print halshs-00341174, HAL.
- Rigotti, Luca & Shannon, Chris, 2012. "Sharing risk and ambiguity," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 147(5), pages 2028-2039.
- Alain Chateauneuf & Mina Mostoufi & David Vyncke, 2014. "Multivariate risk sharing and the derivation of individually rational Pareto optima," UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00942114, HAL.
- Carole Bernard & Shaolin Ji & Weidong Tian, 2013. "An optimal insurance design problem under Knightian uncertainty," Decisions in Economics and Finance, Springer, vol. 36(2), pages 99-124, November.
- Chambers, Christopher P. & Echenique, Federico, 2012. "When does aggregation reduce risk aversion?," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 76(2), pages 582-595.
- Massimiliano Amarante & Mario Ghossoub & Edmund Phelps, 2012.
"Contracting for Innovation under Knightian Uncertainty,"
Cahiers de recherche
18-2012, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- AMARANTE, Massimiliano & GHOSSOUB, Mario & PHELPS, Edmund, 2012. "Contracting for innovation under knightian uncertainty," Cahiers de recherche 2012-15, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Mandler, Michael, 2013. "Endogenous indeterminacy and volatility of asset prices under ambiguity," Theoretical Economics, Econometric Society, vol. 8(3), September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.