Bargaining Sets of Voting Games
AbstractLet A be a finite set of m � 3 alternatives, let N be a finite set of n � 3 players and let R n be a profile of linear preference orderings on A of the players. Throughout most of the paper the considered voting system is the majority rule. Let u N be a profile of utility functions for R N. Using a -effectiveness we define the NTU game V uN and investigate its Aumann-Davis-Maschler and Mas-Colell bargaining sets. The first bargaining set is nonempty for m = 3 and it may be empty for m � 4. Moreover, in a simple probabilistic model, for fixed m, the probability that the Aumann-Davis-Maschler bargaining set is nonempty tends to one if n tends to infinity. The Mas-Colell bargaining set is nonempty for m � 5 and it may be empty for m � 6. Moreover, we prove the following startling result: The Mas-Colell bargaining set of any simple majority voting game derived from the k-th replication of R N is nonempty, provided that k � n + 2. We also compute the NTU games which are derived from choice by plurality voting and approval voting, and we analyze some interesting examples.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The Center for the Study of Rationality, Hebrew University, Jerusalem in its series Discussion Paper Series with number dp376.
Length: 22 pages
Date of creation: Dec 2004
Date of revision:
NTU game; bargaining set; majority rule; plurality voting; approval voting;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C71 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Game Theory and Bargaining Theory - - - Cooperative Games
- D71 - Microeconomics - - Analysis of Collective Decision-Making - - - Social Choice; Clubs; Committees; Associations
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2004-12-20 (All new papers)
- NEP-DCM-2004-12-20 (Discrete Choice Models)
- NEP-DCM-2004-12-22 (Discrete Choice Models)
- NEP-GTH-2004-12-20 (Game Theory)
- NEP-MIC-2004-12-20 (Microeconomics)
- NEP-POL-2004-12-20 (Positive Political Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bezalel Peleg & Peter Sudholter, 2004.
"On the Non-Emptiness of the Mas-Colell Bargaining Set,"
Discussion Paper Series
dp360, The Center for the Study of Rationality, Hebrew University, Jerusalem.
- Peleg, Bezalel & Sudholter, Peter, 2005. "On the non-emptiness of the Mas-Colell bargaining set," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(8), pages 1060-1068, December.
- Mas-Colell, Andreu, 1989. "An equivalence theorem for a bargaining set," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 129-139, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ilan Nehama).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.