School Quality, Exam Performance, and Career Choice
AbstractThe purpose of this paper is to examine the effects of the school quality on performance in national exams and the career decision at age 16. We use micro data from UK, which provides a rich set of variables on parental background, previous achievements, and community variable. We find that, conditional on school type, the pupil-teacher ratio has no effect on examination performance. The pupil-teacher ratio has an effect on career decision at age 16 as to whether to remain in full time education beyond the minimum age.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by European University Institute in its series Economics Working Papers with number eco98/14.
Length: 33 pages
Date of creation: 1998
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Badia Fiesolana, Via dei Roccettini, 9, 50016 San Domenico di Fiesole (FI) Italy
Web page: http://www.eui.eu/ECO/
More information through EDIRC
EDUCATION ; TRAINING;
Other versions of this item:
- Dustmann, C. & Rajah, N. & Soest, A.H.O. van, 1998. "School Quality, Exam Performance and Career Choice," Discussion Paper 1998-16, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- C35 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Discrete Regression and Qualitative Choice Models; Discrete Regressors; Proportions
- J24 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Human Capital; Skills; Occupational Choice; Labor Productivity
- I20 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Education - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Colm Harmon & Ian Walker, 1997.
"Selective Schooling, School Quality, and Labour Market Returns,"
Keele Department of Economics Discussion Papers (1995-2001)
97/06, Department of Economics, Keele University.
- Harmon, C.P. & Walker, I., 1997. "Selective Schooling, School Quality, and Labour Market Returns," Papers 97/22, College Dublin, Department of Political Economy-.
- repec:fth:prinin:366 is not listed on IDEAS
- Betts, Julian R, 1995. "Does School Quality Matter? Evidence from the National Longitudinal Survey of Youth," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 77(2), pages 231-50, May.
- repec:pri:indrel:745 is not listed on IDEAS
- Eric A. Hanushek, 1996. "Measuring Investment in Education," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 10(4), pages 9-30, Fall.
- Dearden, L & Ferri, J & Meghir, C, 2002.
"The effects of School Quality on Educational Attainment and Wages,"
Open Access publications from University College London
http://discovery.ucl.ac.u, University College London.
- Lorraine Dearden & Javier Ferri & Costas Meghir, 2002. "The Effect Of School Quality On Educational Attainment And Wages," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 84(1), pages 1-20, February.
- Lorraine Dearden & Javier Ferri & Costas Meghir, 1998. "The effect of school quality on educational attainment and wages," IFS Working Papers W98/03, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Lorraine Dearden & Javier Ferri & Costas Meghir, 2000. "The effect of school quality on educational attainment and wages," IFS Working Papers W00/22, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- David Card & Alan Krueger, 1996.
"School Resources and Student Outcomes: An Overview of the Literature and New Evidence from North and South Carolina,"
NBER Working Papers
5708, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David Card & Alan B. Krueger, 1996. "School Resources and Student Outcomes: An Overview of the Literature and New Evidence from North and South Carolina," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 10(4), pages 31-50, Fall.
- Duncan McVicar, 2001. "School Quality and Staying-On in Northern Ireland - Resources, Peer Groups and Ethos," The Economic and Social Review, Economic and Social Studies, vol. 32(2), pages 131-151.
- Rosalind Levacic & Stephen Machin & David Reynolds & Anna Vignoles & James Walker, 2000. "The Relationship between Resource Allocation and Pupil Attainment: A Review," CEE Discussion Papers 0002, Centre for the Economics of Education, LSE.
- Steve Gibbons, 2002. "Geography, Resources and Primary School Performance," CEE Discussion Papers 0025, Centre for the Economics of Education, LSE.
- Regina T. Riphahn, 2010. "Residential Location and Youth Unemployment: The Economic Geography of School-To-Work," Working Papers id:2648, eSocialSciences.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marcia Gastaldo).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.