Researching the Links between School Resources and Student Outcomes in the UK: A Review of Issues and Evidence
AbstractKnowledge of the effect of school resources on student outcomes is important for policy decisions concerning expenditure on schools. However, empirical research has so far produced equivocal findings. This paper examines the methodological and data requirements for good quality estimation of the education production function and reviews four UK studies that use pupil-level longitudinal data with a range of resource and control variables. These have produced some evidence of small resource effects on student outcomes and indicate the importance of model specification in affecting reported findings. If research in this area is to progress, high quality datasets are essential.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Education Economics.
Volume (Year): 10 (2002)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/CEDE20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Denny, Kevin & Oppedisano, Veruska, 2013. "The surprising effect of larger class sizes: Evidence using two identification strategies," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(C), pages 57-65.
- Rossana Patrón, 2009. "Can more education be bad? Some simple analytics on financing education," Documentos de Trabajo (working papers) 1709, Department of Economics - dECON.
- Steve Gibbons & Stephen Machin & Olmo Silva, 2009.
"Valuing School Quality Using Boundary Discontinuities,"
SERC Discussion Papers
0018, Spatial Economics Research Centre, LSE.
- Gibbons, Stephen & Machin, Stephen & Silva, Olmo, 2013. "Valuing school quality using boundary discontinuities," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 75(C), pages 15-28.
- Stephen Gibbons & Stephen Machin & Olmo Silva, 2012. "Valuing School Quality Using Boundary Discontinuities," CEE Discussion Papers 0132, Centre for the Economics of Education, LSE.
- Stephen Gibbons & Sandra McNally, 2013. "The Effects of Resources Across School Phases: A Summary of Recent Evidence," CEP Discussion Papers dp1226, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Francis Kramarz & Stephen Machin & Amine Ouazad, 2009.
"What Makes a Test Score? The Respective Contributions of Pupils, Schools and Peers in Achievement in English Primary Education,"
CEE Discussion Papers
0102, Centre for the Economics of Education, LSE.
- Francis Kramarz & Stephen Machin & Amine Ouazad, 2008. "What Makes a Test Score ? The Respective Contributions of Pupils, Schools and Peers in Achievement in English Primary Education," Working Papers 2008-21, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Kramarz, Francis & Machin, Stephen & Ouazad, Amine, 2008. "What Makes a Test Score? The Respective Contributions of Pupils, Schools, and Peers in Achievement in English Primary Education," IZA Discussion Papers 3866, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- De Fraja, Gianni & Oliveira, Tania & Zanchi, Luisa, 2005.
"Must Try Harder. Evaluating the Role of Effort in Educational Attainment,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5048, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Gianni De Fraja & Tania Oliveira & Luisa Zanchi, 2010. "Must Try Harder: Evaluating the Role of Effort in Educational Attainment," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 92(3), pages 577-597, August.
- Rossana Patrón, 2009. "Trade liberalization in a Heckscher–Ohlin model: Does public skill formation change the conventional results?," Documentos de Trabajo (working papers) 1809, Department of Economics - dECON.
- Cordero, José Manuel & Santín, Daniel & Sicilia, Gabriela, 2013. "Dealing with the Endogeneity Problem in Data Envelopment Analysis," MPRA Paper 47475, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- BenDavid-Hadar, Iris & Ziderman, Adrian, 2010. "A New Model for Equitable and Efficient Resource Allocation to Schools: The Israeli Case," IZA Discussion Papers 4822, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Henry W. KINNUCAN & Martin D. SMITH & Yuqing ZHENG & Jose R. LLANES, 2012. "The Effects of No Child Left Behind on Student Performance in Alabama’s Rural Schools," Regional and Sectoral Economic Studies, Euro-American Association of Economic Development, vol. 12(1), pages 5-24.
- Henry Kinnucan & Yuqing Zheng & Gerald Brehmer, 2006. "State Aid and Student Performance: A Supply-Demand Analysis," Education Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(4), pages 487-509.
- Patron, Rossana, 2005. "Enhancing the public provision of education," IOB Working Papers 2005.03, Universiteit Antwerpen, Institute of Development Policy and Management (IOB).
- Tommaso Agasisti & Sergio Longobardi, 2012. "Inequality in education: can Italian disadvantaged students close the gap? A focus on resilience in the Italian school system," Working Papers 2012/39, Institut d'Economia de Barcelona (IEB).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.