Determinants of Foreign Direct Investment in Cambodia: Country-Specific Factor Differentials
AbstractMultinational Companies (MNCs) serve foreign markets by exporting to, by licensing or by engaging in international production in the host countries. Cambodia has become the destination of foreign direct investment (FDI) after its first-ever general elections in 1993. Based on approved foreign-invested projects, the majority of Cambodia’s inward FDI came from Asian neighboring countries, in particular, Malaysia, Taiwan, and China, which together accounted for about 60% of the total. The United States is the fourth largest investor in Cambodia. Cuyvers et al. (2006) provide an overview of inward FDI trends in Cambodia over the period 1994-2004. This paper seeks to uncover factors influencing inward FDI in Cambodia by empirically studying its economic and geographic as well as political determinants. Panel data analysis is used to investigate the factors affecting both approved FDI and realized FDI in the Kingdom of Cambodia during 1995-2005. Investment decisions are made by the foreign investors after having compared the factors affecting their locational decisions between the home country and the potential host countries. Therefore, relative data, rather than absolute ones, are used. A better understanding of the meanings of these factors which determine the inflows of FDI, both approved and realized, should be useful for policy recommendation and implementation. This paper is organized as follows. Section 2 reviews the relevant literature and outlines the hypotheses formulation. Section 3 presents a stochastic economic model. The discussion about the data takes place in section 4. The estimation methodology and estimation results are presented in sections 5 and 6, respectively. Section 7 concludes.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Antwerp, Faculty of Applied Economics in its series Working Papers with number 2008003.
Length: 64 pages
Date of creation: Mar 2008
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Prinsstraat 13, B-2000 Antwerpen
Web page: https://www.uantwerp.be/en/faculties/applied-economic-sciences/
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-04-12 (All new papers)
- NEP-DEV-2008-04-12 (Development)
- NEP-SEA-2008-04-12 (South East Asia)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cushman, David O, 1985. "Real Exchange Rate Risk, Expectations, and the Level of Direct Investment," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 67(2), pages 297-308, May.
- Haishun Sun, 2001. "Foreign Direct Investment and Regional Export Performance in China," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(2), pages 317-336.
- Christopher F Baum, 2006. "An Introduction to Modern Econometrics using Stata," Stata Press books, StataCorp LP, number imeus, July.
- Blomstrom, Magnus & Lipsey, Robert E, 1989. "The Export Performance of U.S. and Swedish Multinationals," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 35(3), pages 245-64, September.
- Susan Scott-Green & Jeremy Clegg, 1999. "The Determinants of New FDI Capital Flows into the EC: A Statistical Comparison of the USA and Japan," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 37(4), pages 597-616, December.
- James R. Markusen, 1998. "Multinational Firms, Location and Trade," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 21(6), pages 733-756, 08.
- Yamagata, Tatsufumi, 2006. "The Garment Industry in Cambodia: Its Role in Poverty Reduction through Export-Oriented Development," IDE Discussion Papers 62, Institute of Developing Economies, Japan External Trade Organization(JETRO).
- Veugelers, Reinhilde, 1991. "Locational Determinants and Ranking of Host Countries: An Empirical Assessment," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(3), pages 363-82.
- Blomström, Magnus & Kokko, Ari, 1997.
"Regional Integration and Foreign Direct Investment,"
Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance
172, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Magnus Blomstrom & Ari Kokko, 1997. "Regional Integration and Foreign Direct Investment," NBER Working Papers 6019, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Blomström, Magnus & Kokko, Ari, 1997. "Regional Integration and Foreign Direct Investment," CEPR Discussion Papers 1659, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- D Sethi & S E Guisinger & S E Phelan & D M Berg, 2003. "Trends in foreign direct investment flows: a theoretical and empirical analysis," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 34(4), pages 315-326, July.
- Nagesh Kumar, 1994. "Determinants of Export Orientation of Foreign Production by U.S. Multinationals: An Inter-Country Analysis," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 25(1), pages 141-156, March.
- Hefeker, Carsten & Busse, Matthias, 2005.
"Political Risk, Institutions and Foreign Direct Investment,"
HWWA Discussion Papers
315, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWA).
- Busse, Matthias & Hefeker, Carsten, 2007. "Political risk, institutions and foreign direct investment," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 397-415, June.
- Wei, Shang-Jin, 1995. "Attracting foreign direct investment: Has China reached its potential?," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 6(2), pages 187-199.
- J. A. Hausman, 1976.
"Specification Tests in Econometrics,"
185, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Robert Grosse & Len J Trevino, 1996. "Foreign Direct Investment in the United States: An Analysis by Country of Origin," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 27(1), pages 139-155, March.
- Li, Quan & Resnick, Adam, 2003. "Reversal of Fortunes: Democratic Institutions and Foreign Direct Investment Inflows to Developing Countries," International Organization, Cambridge University Press, vol. 57(01), pages 175-211, December.
- Xiaming Liu & Haiyan Song & Yingqi Wei & Peter Romilly, 1997. "Country characteristics and foreign direct investment in China: A panel data analysis," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 133(2), pages 313-329, 06.
- Yuqing Xing & Guanghua Wan, 2006. "Exchange Rates and Competition for FDI in Asia," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 29(4), pages 419-434, 04.
- Pitelis, Christos, 1996. "Effective Demand, Outward Investment and the (Theory of the) Transnational Corporation: An Empirical Investigation," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 43(2), pages 192-206, May.
- Ferda Halicioglu, 2005. "An Econometric Analysis of Foreign Direct Investment Flows into Turkey from Major Global Regions: 1975-1999," International Trade 0503004, EconWPA.
- Marchant, Mary A. & Cornell, Dyana N. & Koo, Won W., 2002. "International Trade And Foreign Direct Investment: Substitutes Or Complements?," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 34(02), August.
- J Peter Neary, 2005.
"Trade Costs and Foreign Direct Investment,"
200512, School Of Economics, University College Dublin.
- Barrell, Ray & Pain, Nigel, 1997. "Foreign Direct Investment, Technological Change, and Economic Growth within Europe," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 107(445), pages 1770-86, November.
- Gao, Ting, 2005. "Foreign direct investment from developing Asia: some distinctive features," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 86(1), pages 29-35, January.
- Kyriacos Aristotelous & Stilianos Fountas, 1996. "An Empirical Analysis of Inward Foreign Direct Investment Flows in the EU with Emphasis on the Market Enlargement Hypothesis," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 34(4), pages 571-583, December.
- David J. Houston & Lilliard E. Richardson, Jr., 2006. "Reducing traffic fatalities in the American States by upgrading seat belt use laws to primary enforcement," Journal of Policy Analysis and Management, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 25(3), pages 645-659.
- Bevan, Alan A. & Estrin, Saul, 2004. "The determinants of foreign direct investment into European transition economies," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(4), pages 775-787, December.
- Dewenter, Kathryn L, 1995. "Do Exchange Rate Changes Drive Foreign Direct Investment?," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 68(3), pages 405-33, July.
- repec:idb:brikps:54318 is not listed on IDEAS
- Hannes Winner, 2005. "Has Tax Competition Emerged in OECD Countries? Evidence from Panel Data," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer, vol. 12(5), pages 667-687, September.
- Jyothi Pantulu & Jessie P.H. Poon, 2003. "Foreign direct investment and international trade: evidence from the US and Japan," Journal of Economic Geography, Oxford University Press, vol. 3(3), pages 241-259, July.
- William H Davidson, 1980. "The Location of Foreign Direct Investment Activity: Country Characteristics and Experience Effects," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 11(2), pages 9-22, June.
- Klaus E Meyer, 1995. "Direct Foreign Investment in Eastern Europe the Role of Labor Costs," Comparative Economic Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 37(4), pages 69-88, December.
- Pain, Nigel & Wakelin, Katharine, 1998. "Export Performance and the Role of Foreign Direct Investment," The Manchester School of Economic & Social Studies, University of Manchester, vol. 66(0), pages 62-88, Supplemen.
- Nigel Pain & Desirée Van Welsum, 2003. "Untying The Gordian Knot: The Multiple Links Between Exchange Rates and Foreign Direct Investment," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(5), pages 823-846, December.
- Choi, In, 2001. "Unit root tests for panel data," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 249-272, April.
- Shabtai Donnenfeld, 2003. "Regional Blocs and Foreign Direct Investment," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 11(5), pages 770-788, November.
- V N Balasubramanyam & D Sapsford & M A Salisu, . "Foreign Direct Investment and Growth," Working Papers ec13/94, Department of Economics, University of Lancaster.
- Frenkel, Michael & Funke, Katja & Stadtmann, Georg, 2004. "A panel analysis of bilateral FDI flows to emerging economies," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 281-300, September.
- Biswas, Romita, 2002. "Determinants of Foreign Direct Investment," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 6(3), pages 492-504, October.
- Pan, Yigang, 2003. "The inflow of foreign direct investment to China: the impact of country-specific factors," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 56(10), pages 829-833, October.
- Balasubramanyam, V N & Sapsford, David & Griffiths, David, 2002. "Regional Integration Agreements and Foreign Direct Investment: Theory and Preliminary Evidence," Manchester School, University of Manchester, vol. 70(3), pages 460-82, June.
- Qiangbing Chen & Yali Liu & Lu Jiang, 2010. "Culture distance and foreign equity ownership in international joint ventures: Evidence from China," Journal of Chinese Economic and Foreign Trade Studies, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 3(3), pages 189-203, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joeri Nys).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.