Untying The Gordian Knot: The Multiple Links Between Exchange Rates and Foreign Direct Investment
AbstractTheoretical and empirical studies show that the level and volatility of exchange rates can have significant effects on foreign direct investment (FDI). But the evidence is ambiguous, with the impact of exchange rates being heterogeneous across countries and types of investment, and varying over time. Fixed exchange rate regimes may stimulate investment, but largely because of their indirect benefits for the investment climate rather than because of lower currency volatility, especially in larger economies. Careful judgements still need to be made about the appropriate entry rate, since real exchange rate levels can have a long-lasting impact on the spatial distribution of economic activities and living standards. Copyright (c) Blackwell Publishing Ltd 2003.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Journal of Common Market Studies.
Volume (Year): 41 (2003)
Issue (Month): 5 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0021-9886
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Cuyvers L. & Plasmans J. & Soeng R. & Van den Bulcke D., 2008. "Determinants of Foreign Direct Investment in Cambodia: Country-Specific Factor Differentials," Working Papers 2008003, University of Antwerp, Faculty of Applied Economics.
- Cuyvers, Ludo & Soeng, Reth & Plasmans, Joseph & Van Den Bulcke, Daniel, 2011. "Determinants of foreign direct investment in Cambodia," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 222-234, June.
- Schmidt, Christian W. & Broll, Udo, 2008.
"The effect of exchange rate risk on U.S. foreign direct investment: An empirical analysis,"
10713, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Schmidt, Christian W. & Broll, Udo, 2008. "The effect of exchange rate risk on US foreign direct investment: an empirical analysis," Dresden Discussion Paper Series in Economics 09/08, Dresden University of Technology, Faculty of Business and Economics, Department of Economics.
- Garcia-Fuentes, Pablo A. & Kennedy, P. Lynn & Ferreira, Gustavo F.C., 2013. "U.S. Foreign Direct Investment in Latin America and the Caribbean: A case of Remittances and Market Size," 2013 Annual Meeting, February 2-5, 2013, Orlando, Florida 142985, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- Axel Dreher & Peter Nunnenkamp & Krishna Chaitanya Vadlamannati, 2011.
"The Role of Country-of-origin Characteristics for Foreign Direct Investment and Technical Cooperation in Post-reform India,"
Courant Research Centre: Poverty, Equity and Growth - Discussion Papers
81, Courant Research Centre PEG.
- Dreher, Axel & Nunnenkamp, Peter & Vadlamannati, Krishna Chaitanya, 2013. "The Role of Country-of-Origin Characteristics for Foreign Direct Investment and Technical Cooperation in Post-Reform India," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 44(C), pages 88-109.
- Axel Dreher & Peter Nunnenkamp & Krishna Chaitanya Vadlamannati, 2011. "The Role of Country-of-origin Characteristics for Foreign Direct Investment and Technical Cooperation in Post-reform India," KOF Working papers 11-283, KOF Swiss Economic Institute, ETH Zurich.
- Axel Dreher & Peter Nunnenkamp & Krishna Chaitanya Vadlamannati, 2011. "The Role of Country-of-origin Characteristics for Foreign Direct Investment and Technical Cooperation in Post-reform India," Kiel Working Papers 1708, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Yuko Hashimoto & Konstantin M. Wacker, 2012.
"The Role of Risk and Information for International Capital Flows: New Evidence from the SDDS,"
Courant Research Centre: Poverty, Equity and Growth - Discussion Papers
124, Courant Research Centre PEG.
- Yuko Hashimoto & Konstantin Wacker, 2012. "The Role of Risk and Information for International Capital Flows: New Evidence from the SDDS," IMF Working Papers 12/242, International Monetary Fund.
- Sylvia Gottschalk & Stephen Hall, 2008. "Foreign direct investment and exchange rate uncertainty in South-East Asia," International Journal of Finance & Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 13(4), pages 349-359.
- Phillips, Shauna & Ahmadi-Esfahani, Fredoun Z., . "Exchange Rates and Foreign Direct Investment: Theoretical Models and Empirical Evidence," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Xun, Lei & Awokuse, Titus O., 2005. "The Determinants of US Outgoing FDI in the Food-Processing Sector," 2005 Annual meeting, July 24-27, Providence, RI 19131, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Osinubi, T. S. & Amaghionyeodiwe, L. A, 2009. "Foreign Direct Investment and Exchange Rate Volatility in Nigeria," International Journal of Applied Econometrics and Quantitative Studies, Euro-American Association of Economic Development, vol. 9(2).
- Matthias Busse & Carsten Hefeker & Signe Nelgen, 2010.
"Foreign Direct Investment and Exchange Rate Regimes,"
MAGKS Papers on Economics
201015, Philipps-Universität Marburg, Faculty of Business Administration and Economics, Department of Economics (Volkswirtschaftliche Abteilung).
- Matthias Busse & Carsten Hefeker & Signe Nelgen, 2013. "Foreign Direct Investment and Exchange Rate Regimes," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 33(1), pages 843-858.
- Busse, Matthias & Hefeker, Carsten & Nelgen, Signe, 2010. "Foreign direct investment and exchange rate regimes," HWWI Research Papers 2-17, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWI).
- Matthias Busse & Carsten Hefeker & Signe Nelgen, 2010. "Foreign direct investment and exchange rate regimes," Volkswirtschaftliche DiskussionsbeitrÃ¤ge 141-10, Universität Siegen, Fakultät Wirtschaftswissenschaften, Wirtschaftsinformatik und Wirtschaftsrecht.
- Christian Schmidt & Udo Broll, 2009. "Real exchange-rate uncertainty and US foreign direct investment: an empirical analysis," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 145(3), pages 513-530, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.