External asymmetries in the euro area and the role of foreign direct investment
AbstractA few years after the establishment of the European Economic and Monetary Union (EMU), large asymmetries emerged in the trade balances and the current accounts of the member-states. A divide seems to separate two groups in the euro area, one with the northern countries achieving external surpluses and the other including the southern countries with large external deficits. We argue that a crucial factor in shaping productivity, and consequently affecting competitiveness and the external position of the economy, is the size and composition of Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) and find that the northern countries received more total FDI than the southern group. Moreover, the southern countries attracted more investment in real estate rather than the productive sector. Focusing on ten euro area economies over the period 1980-2009, we establish a positive relationship between FDI flows and trade balances in the northern countries, in contrast to a negative one for the southern group. Using industry-level data, we also establish a positive (negative) long-run relationship between FDI in the manufacturing (non-manufacturing) sector and the trade balance for the northern (southern) countries.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Bank of Greece in its series Working Papers with number 132.
Date of creation: Jun 2011
Date of revision:
Euro area; trade balance; Foreign Direct Investment (FDI);
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F15 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Economic Integration
- F21 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - International Investment; Long-Term Capital Movements
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-11-28 (All new papers)
- NEP-EEC-2011-11-28 (European Economics)
- NEP-INT-2011-11-28 (International Trade)
- NEP-MON-2011-11-28 (Monetary Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Holger Görg & David Greenaway, 2004.
"Much Ado about Nothing? Do Domestic Firms Really Benefit from Foreign Direct Investment?,"
World Bank Research Observer,
World Bank Group, vol. 19(2), pages 171-197.
- Görg, Holger & Greenaway, David, 2003. "Much Ado About Nothing? Do Domestic Firms Really Benefit from Foreign Direct Investment?," IZA Discussion Papers 944, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Perron, P, 1988.
"The Great Crash, The Oil Price Shock And The Unit Root Hypothesis,"
338, Princeton, Department of Economics - Econometric Research Program.
- Perron, Pierre, 1989. "The Great Crash, the Oil Price Shock, and the Unit Root Hypothesis," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(6), pages 1361-1401, November.
- Nicolas Coeurdacier & Roberto A. de Santis & Antonin Aviat, 2009.
"Cross-border mergers and acquisitions and European integration,"
Sciences Po publications
info:hdl:2441/c8dmi8nm4pd, Sciences Po.
- Nicolas Coeurdacier & Roberto A. De Santis & Antonin Aviat, 2009. "Cross-border mergers and acquisitions and European integration," Economic Policy, CEPR & CES & MSH, vol. 24, pages 55-106, 01.
- Perron, P. & Bai, J., 1995.
"Estimating and Testing Linear Models with Multiple Structural Changes,"
Cahiers de recherche
9552, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Jushan Bai & Pierre Perron, 1998. "Estimating and Testing Linear Models with Multiple Structural Changes," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 66(1), pages 47-78, January.
- Perron, P. & Bai, J., 1995. "Estimating and Testing Linear Models with Multiple Structural Changes," Cahiers de recherche 9552, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Luciano Gutierrez, 2002. "On the power of panel cointegration tests: A Monte Carlo comparison. Economics Letters, 80(1):105-111," Econometrics 0211003, EconWPA, revised 20 May 2003.
- Brian Aitken & Gordon H. Hanson & Ann E. Harrison, 1994.
"Spillovers, Foreign Investment, and Export Behavior,"
NBER Working Papers
4967, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Aitken, Brian & Hanson, Gordon H. & Harrison, Ann E., 1997. "Spillovers, foreign investment, and export behavior," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(1-2), pages 103-132, August.
- Aitken, B. & Hanson, G.H. & Harrison, A.E., 1994. "Spillovers, Foreign Investment and Export Behavior," Papers 95-06, Columbia - Graduate School of Business.
- Head, Keith & Ries, John, 2001. "Overseas Investment and Firm Exports," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(1), pages 108-22, February.
- Pedroni, Peter, 1999.
" Critical Values for Cointegration Tests in Heterogeneous Panels with Multiple Regressors,"
Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics,
Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 61(0), pages 653-70, Special I.
- Peter Pedroni, 1999. "Critical Values for Cointegration Tests in Heterogeneous Panels with Multiple Regressors," Department of Economics Working Papers 2000-02, Department of Economics, Williams College.
- Ioana Alexopoulou & Irina Bunda & Annalisa Ferrando, 2010.
"Determinants of Government Bond Spreads in New EU Countries,"
Eastern European Economics,
M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 48(5), pages 5-37, September.
- Alexopoulou, Ioana & Bunda, Irina & Ferrando, Annalisa, 2009. "Determinants of government bond spreads in new EU countries," Working Paper Series 1093, European Central Bank.
- Menzie David Chinn & Jaewoo Lee, 2002.
"Current Account and Real Exchange Rate Dynamics in the G-7 Countries,"
IMF Working Papers
02/130, International Monetary Fund.
- Lee, Jaewoo & Chinn, Menzie D., 2006. "Current account and real exchange rate dynamics in the G7 countries," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 257-274, March.
- Lee,J. & Chinn,M.D., 2004. "Current account and real exchange rate dynamics in the G-7 countries," Working papers 11, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- Philip L. Brock & Stephen J. Turnovsky, 1993.
"The Dependent Economy Model with Both Traded and Non-Traded Capital Goods,"
NBER Working Papers
4500, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Brock, Philip L & Turnovsky, Stephen J, 1994. "The Dependent-Economy Model with Both Traded and Nontraded Capital Goods," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 2(3), pages 306-25, October.
- Chinn, Menzie D. & Prasad, Eswar S., 2003.
"Medium-term determinants of current accounts in industrial and developing countries: an empirical exploration,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 59(1), pages 47-76, January.
- Menzie D. Chinn & Eswar S. Prasad, 2000. "Medium-Term Determinants of Current Accounts in Industrial and Developing Countries: An Empirical Exploration," NBER Working Papers 7581, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jarque, Carlos M. & Bera, Anil K., 1980. "Efficient tests for normality, homoscedasticity and serial independence of regression residuals," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 6(3), pages 255-259.
- Bogdan Lissovolik & Julio Escolano & Stefania Fabrizio & Werner Schule & Herman Z. Bennett & Stephen Tokarick & Yuan Xiao & Marialuz Moreno Badia & Eva Gutierrez & Iryna V. Ivaschenko, 2008. "Competitiveness in the Southern Euro Area," IMF Working Papers 08/112, International Monetary Fund.
- Kao, Chihwa, 1999. "Spurious regression and residual-based tests for cointegration in panel data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 90(1), pages 1-44, May.
- Michael G. Arghyrou & Georgios Chortareas, 2008.
"Current Account Imbalances and Real Exchange Rates in the Euro Area,"
Review of International Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 16(4), pages 747-764, 09.
- Arghyrou, Michael G & Chortareas, Georgios, 2006. "Current Account Imbalances and Real Exchange Rates in the Euro Area," Cardiff Economics Working Papers E2006/23, Cardiff University, Cardiff Business School, Economics Section.
- White, Halbert, 1980. "A Heteroskedasticity-Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator and a Direct Test for Heteroskedasticity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(4), pages 817-38, May.
- Robert E. Lipsey, 2002. "Home and Host Country Effects of FDI," NBER Working Papers 9293, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pavlos Petroulas, 2006.
"The Effect of the Euro on Foreign Direct Investment,"
48, Bank of Greece.
- Petroulas, Pavlos, 2007. "The effect of the euro on foreign direct investment," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 51(6), pages 1468-1491, August.
- Petroulas, Pavlos, 2004. "The Effect of the Euro on Foreign Direct Investment," Research Papers in Economics 2004:5, Stockholm University, Department of Economics.
- Ann E. Harrison & Brian J. Aitken, 1999. "Do Domestic Firms Benefit from Direct Foreign Investment? Evidence from Venezuela," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 89(3), pages 605-618, June.
- Turnovsky, Stephen J, 1996. "Endogenous Growth in a Dependent Economy with Traded and Nontraded Capital," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 4(3), pages 300-321, October.
- Salvador Barrios & Per Iversen & Magdalena Lewandowska & Ralph Setzer, 2009. "Determinants of intra-euro area government bond spreads during the financial crisis," European Economy - Economic Papers 388, Directorate General Economic and Monetary Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Fragkiskos Filippaios & Constantina Kottaridi, 2008. "Complements or Substitutes? New Theoretical Considerations and Empirical Evidence on the Imports and FDI Relationship," Working Papers 0026, University of Peloponnese, Department of Economics.
- Josep Llu�s Carrion-i-Silvestre & Tom�s del Barrio-Castro & Enrique L�pez-Bazo, 2005.
"Breaking the panels: An application to the GDP per capita,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 8(2), pages 159-175, 07.
- Josep Lluis Carrion Silvestre & Tomas del Barrio Castro & Enrique Lopez Bazo, 2003. "Breaking the panels. An application to the GDP per capita," Working Papers in Economics 97, Universitat de Barcelona. Espai de Recerca en Economia.
- Sophia Dimelis & Helen Louri, 2002. "Foreign ownership and production efficiency: a quantile regression analysis," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 54(3), pages 449-469, July.
- Greenaway, David & Sousa, Nuno & Wakelin, Katharine, 2004. "Do domestic firms learn to export from multinationals?," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 1027-1043, November.
- Kaddour Hadri, 1999.
"Testing For Stationarity In Heterogeneous Panel Data,"
1999_04, University of Liverpool Management School.
- Kaddour Hadri, 2000. "Testing for stationarity in heterogeneous panel data," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 3(2), pages 148-161.
- Breusch, T S, 1978. "Testing for Autocorrelation in Dynamic Linear Models," Australian Economic Papers, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 17(31), pages 334-55, December.
- Gutierrez, Luciano, 2003. "On the power of panel cointegration tests: a Monte Carlo comparison," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 80(1), pages 105-111, July.
- Christopher Taylor, 2008. "Foreign direct investment and the euro: the first five years," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 32(1), pages 1-28, January.
- Nicos Christodoulakis & Chrysa Leventi & Manos Matsaganis & Vassilis Monastiriotis, 2011. "The Greek crisis in focus: austerity, recession and paths to recovery," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 38380, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christina Tsochatzi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.