On the power of panel cointegration tests: A Monte Carlo comparison. Economics Letters, 80(1):105-111
AbstractThis paper enlarges on Karlsoon and Löthgreen’s (2000) results on panel unit root tests to panel cointegration tests. We show that for homogeneous panel, Kao’s (1999) tests have higher (lower) power than Pedroni’s (1999) tests when a small-T (high-T) number of observations are included in the panel and both tests show better performance than Larsson et al. (2001) test. In addition, depending on the T-dimension of the panel, cointegration tests can have high power when a small or high fraction of the relationships are cointegrated. This result suggests that when rejecting the null hypothesis of no cointegration for the whole panel not all the relationships can be really cointegrated.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series Econometrics with number 0211003.
Date of creation: 19 Nov 2002
Date of revision: 20 May 2003
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://220.127.116.11
Panel data; Panel cointegration tests;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models &bull Diffusion Processes
- C23 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2002-11-28 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2002-11-28 (Econometrics)
- NEP-ETS-2002-11-28 (Econometric Time Series)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987. "Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-76, March.
- Kao, Chihwa, 1999. "Spurious regression and residual-based tests for cointegration in panel data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 90(1), pages 1-44, May.
- Larsson, Rolf & Lyhagen, Johan & Löthgren, Mickael, 1998.
"Likelihood-Based Cointegration Tests in Heterogeneous Panels,"
Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance
250, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 27 Aug 1998.
- Rolf Larsson & Johan Lyhagen & Mickael Lothgren, 2001. "Likelihood-based cointegration tests in heterogeneous panels," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 4(1), pages 41.
- Johansen, Soren, 1995. "Likelihood-Based Inference in Cointegrated Vector Autoregressive Models," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198774501.
- Pedroni, Peter, 1999.
" Critical Values for Cointegration Tests in Heterogeneous Panels with Multiple Regressors,"
Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics,
Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 61(0), pages 653-70, Special I.
- Peter Pedroni, 1999. "Critical Values for Cointegration Tests in Heterogeneous Panels with Multiple Regressors," Department of Economics Working Papers 2000-02, Department of Economics, Williams College.
- Haug, Alfred A., 1996.
"Tests for cointegration a Monte Carlo comparison,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 71(1-2), pages 89-115.
- Gonzalo, Jesus, 1994. "Five alternative methods of estimating long-run equilibrium relationships," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 60(1-2), pages 203-233.
- Elisa Gatto & Guido Signorino, 2011. "Long-run relationship between crop-biodiversity and cereal production under the CAP reform: evidence from Italian regions," ERSA conference papers ersa11p964, European Regional Science Association.
- Kashif Imran & Khalid Naeem Akbar, 2011. "Determinants of Earnings: Evidence from Pakistan Engineering Sector," Asian Economic and Financial Review, Asian Economic and Social Society, vol. 1(1), pages 40-48, March.
- Lena Dräger & Jan-Oliver Menz & Ulrich Fritsche, .
"Perceived Inflation under Loss Aversion,"
Macroeconomics and Finance Series
201105, Hamburg University, Department Wirtschaft und Politik.
- Emmanuel Owusu-Sekyere & Renee van Eyden & Francis Kemegue, 2011.
"Remittances And The Dutch Disease In Sub-Saharan Africa: A Dynamic Panel Approach,"
201129, University of Pretoria, Department of Economics.
- Francis M. Kemegue & ReneÃ© van Eyden & Emmanuel Owusu-Sekyere, 2011. "Remittances and the Dutch disease in Sub-Saharan Africa. A Dynamic Panel Approach," Working Papers 259, Economic Research Southern Africa.
- Deniz Dilan Karaman Örsal, 2008.
"Comparison of Panel Cointegration Tests,"
AccessEcon, vol. 3(6), pages 1-20.
- Nicos Christodoulakis & Vassilis Sarantides, 2011. "External asymmetries in the euro area and the role of foreign direct investment," Working Papers 132, Bank of Greece.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.