Financial Integration, Euro and the Twin Deficits of Southern Eurozone Countries
AbstractThe purpose of this study is the examination of the relationship between fiscal and Current Account balances for the countries of southern eurozone. The twin deficit hypothesis is tested within the context of a portfolio model involving variables from the financial sector. Empirical analysis is conducted with panel data, for the period 1991-2011. Evidence is provided to support the twin deficit hypothesis. Additionally, it is found that it is not only the fiscal policy of the southern eurozone coun-tries that affects their Current Account balances, but also the fiscal policy of the eurozone surplus countries of the north. Interdependence of euro-zone countries suggests that fiscal policy can be used for the elimination of external disequilibrium. Therefore, fiscal policy should be coordinated but not uniformly applied.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Savez ekonomista Vojvodine, Novi Sad, Serbia in its journal Panoeconomicus.
Volume (Year): 60 (2013)
Issue (Month): 2 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.panoeconomicus.rs/
Current Account; Budget balance; Twin deficits; Financial integration; Fiscal coordination;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F32 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Current Account Adjustment; Short-term Capital Movements
- F36 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Financial Aspects of Economic Integration
- F41 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - Open Economy Macroeconomics
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mark J. Holmes & Theodore Panagiotidis & Jesus Otero, 2009.
"On the stationarity of current account deficits in the European Union,"
Discussion Paper Series
2009_18, Department of Economics, University of Macedonia, revised Dec 2009.
- Mark J. Holmes & Jes�s Otero & Theodore Panagiotidis, 2010. "On the Stationarity of Current Account Deficits in the European Union," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 18(4), pages 730-740, 09.
- Mark J. Holmes & Jesús Otero & Theodore Panagiotidis, 2010. "On the Stationarity of Current Account Deficits in the European Union," Working Paper Series 05_10, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis.
- Feldstein, Martin & Horioka, Charles, 1980.
"Domestic Saving and International Capital Flows,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 90(358), pages 314-29, June.
- Kim, Soyoung & Roubini, Nouriel, 2008.
"Twin deficit or twin divergence? Fiscal policy, current account, and real exchange rate in the U.S,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 74(2), pages 362-383, March.
- Soyoung Kim & Nouriel Roubini, 2004. "Twin Deficit or Twin Divergence? Fiscal Policy, Current Account, and Real Exchange Rate in the US," Econometric Society 2004 North American Winter Meetings 271, Econometric Society.
- João Sousa Andrade & Adelaide Duarte, 2011.
"The Fundamentals of the Portuguese Crisis,"
Savez ekonomista Vojvodine, Novi Sad, Serbia, vol. 58(2), pages 195-218, June.
- George Vamvoukas, 1999. "The twin deficits phenomenon: evidence from Greece," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 31(9), pages 1093-1100.
- Kaddour Hadri, 1999.
"Testing For Stationarity In Heterogeneous Panel Data,"
1999_04, University of Liverpool Management School.
- Kaddour Hadri, 2000. "Testing for stationarity in heterogeneous panel data," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 3(2), pages 148-161.
- M. Hashem Pesaran, 2007.
"A simple panel unit root test in the presence of cross-section dependence,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(2), pages 265-312.
- Pesaran, M.H., 2003. "A Simple Panel Unit Root Test in the Presence of Cross Section Dependence," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0346, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Peter Pedroni, 1999.
"Critical Values for Cointegration Tests in Heterogeneous Panels with Multiple Regressors,"
Department of Economics Working Papers
2000-02, Department of Economics, Williams College.
- Pedroni, Peter, 1999. " Critical Values for Cointegration Tests in Heterogeneous Panels with Multiple Regressors," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 61(0), pages 653-70, Special I.
- Kaddour Hadri & Yao Rao, 2006.
"Panel Stationarity Test with Structural Breaks,"
200615, University of Liverpool Management School.
- Peter Pedroni, 2004.
"Panel Cointegration: Asymptotic and Finite Sample Properties of Pooled Time Series Tests with an Application to the PPP Hypothesis,"
Department of Economics Working Papers
2004-15, Department of Economics, Williams College.
- Pedroni, Peter, 2004. "Panel Cointegration: Asymptotic And Finite Sample Properties Of Pooled Time Series Tests With An Application To The Ppp Hypothesis," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 20(03), pages 597-625, June.
- Barro, Robert J, 1989.
"The Ricardian Approach to Budget Deficits,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 3(2), pages 37-54, Spring.
- Olivier Blanchard, 2007.
"Current Account Deficits in Rich Countries,"
IMF Staff Papers,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 54(2), pages 191-219, June.
- Papadogonas, Theodore & Stournaras, Yannis, 2006. "Twin deficits and financial integration in EU member-states," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 28(5), pages 595-602, July.
- Ahmad Zubaidi Baharumshah & Evan Lau, 2007. "Dynamics of fiscal and current account deficits in Thailand: an empirical investigation," Journal of Economic Studies, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 34(6), pages 454-475, November.
- Abdulnasser Hatemi-J & Ghazi Shukur, 2002. "Multivariate-based causality tests of twin deficits in the US," Journal of Applied Statistics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 29(6), pages 817-824.
- Frankel, Jeffrey, 2006. "Could the twin deficits jeopardize US hegemony?," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 28(6), pages 653-663, September.
- Mark J. Holmes & Jesus Otero & Theodore Panagiotidis, 2007. "Are EU budget deficits sustainable?," Discussion Paper Series 2007_13, Department of Economics, Loughborough University, revised May 2007.
- Barro, Robert J., 1974.
"Are Government Bonds Net Wealth?,"
3451399, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Sylvia KAUFMANN & Johann SCHARLER & Georg WINCKLER, 1999.
"The Austrian current account deficit: Driven by twin deficits or by intertemporal expenditure allocation?,"
Vienna Economics Papers
vie9903, University of Vienna, Department of Economics.
- Sylvia Kaufmann & Georg Winckler & Johann Scharler, 2002. "The Austrian current account deficit: Driven by twin deficits or by intertemporal expenditure allocation?," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 27(3), pages 529-542.
- Vince Daly & Jalal Siddiki, 2009. "The twin deficits in OECD countries: cointegration analysis with regime shifts," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 16(11), pages 1155-1164.
- Levin, Andrew & Lin, Chien-Fu & James Chu, Chia-Shang, 2002.
"Unit root tests in panel data: asymptotic and finite-sample properties,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 108(1), pages 1-24, May.
- Tom Doan, . "LEVINLIN: RATS procedure to perform Levin-Lin-Chu test for unit roots in panel data," Statistical Software Components RTS00242, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Maddala, G S & Wu, Shaowen, 1999. " A Comparative Study of Unit Root Tests with Panel Data and a New Simple Test," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 61(0), pages 631-52, Special I.
- Branko Urošević & Milan Nedeljković & Emir Zildžović, 2012. "Jackknife Model Averaging of the Current Account Determinants," Panoeconomicus, Savez ekonomista Vojvodine, Novi Sad, Serbia, vol. 59(3), pages 267-281, June.
- Kao, Chihwa, 1999. "Spurious regression and residual-based tests for cointegration in panel data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 90(1), pages 1-44, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ivana Horvat) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Ivana Horvat to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.