FDI, trade, and spillover efficiency: evidence from China's manufacturing sector
AbstractUsing firm data from the 1995 Third Industrial Census of China, this paper finds that the presence of foreign ownership has a positive and significant effect on domestic firms' productivity. Moreover, trading with more advanced countries helps China gain access to new technology and information, which improves its productivity and enables it to compete in international markets. It is found that China's imports from OECD and the four Asian Tigers, and exports to OECD have positive effects on domestic firms' productivity. By dividing industries into high-technology-gap and low-technology-gap groups, it is found that the spillover effects of FDI are larger for the low-technology-gap group than for the high-technology-gap group. However, the estimation results of the trade-induced technology spillover effect support the technology-gap learning theory and the significance of importing appropriate technology.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics.
Volume (Year): 36 (2004)
Issue (Month): 10 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pitt, Mark M. & Lee, Lung-Fei, 1981. "The measurement and sources of technical inefficiency in the Indonesian weaving industry," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 43-64, August.
- Ari Kokko & Ruben Tansini & Mario Zejan, 1994.
"Productivity spillovers from FDI in the Uruguayan manufacturing sector,"
Documentos de Trabajo (working papers)
0194, Department of Economics - dECON.
- Kokko, Ari & Tansini, Ruben & Zejan, Mario, 1994. "Productivity Spillovers from FDI in the Uruguayan Manufacturing Sector," Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 2, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Edward E. Leamer & Christopher Thornberg, 1998.
"Efforts and Wages: A New Look at the Inter-Industry Wage Differentials,"
NBER Working Papers
6626, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Edward E. Leamer & Christopher F. Thornberg, 2000. "Effort and Wages: A New Look at the Interindustry Wage Differentials," NBER Chapters, in: The Impact of International Trade on Wages, pages 37-84 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Berthelemy, Jean-Claude & Demurger, Sylvie, 2000. "Foreign Direct Investment and Economic Growth: Theory and Application to China," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 4(2), pages 140-55, June.
- Yih-Chyi Chuang & Chi-Mei Lin, 1999. "Foreign direct investment, R&D and spillover efficiency: Evidence from Taiwan's manufacturing firms," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(4), pages 117-137.
- Blomstrom, Magnus & Kokko, Ari, 1998.
" Multinational Corporations and Spillovers,"
Journal of Economic Surveys,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(3), pages 247-77, July.
- Blomström, Magnus & Kokko, Ari, 1996. "Multinational Corporations and Spillovers," Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 99, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Blomström, Magnus & Kokko, Ari, 1996. "Multinational Corporations and Spillovers," CEPR Discussion Papers 1365, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Magnus Blomstrom & Edward N. Wolff, 1994.
"Multinational Corporations and Productivity Convergence in Mexico,"
NBER Working Papers
3141, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Blomstrom, Magnus & Wolff, E.N., 1989. "Multinational Corporations And Productivity Convergence In Mexico," Working Papers 89-28, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Green, Alison & Mayes, David, 1991. "Technical Inefficiency in Manufacturing Industries," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 101(406), pages 523-38, May.
- Forsund, Finn R & Jansen, Eilev S, 1977. "On Estimating Average and Best Practice Homothetic Production Functions via Cost Functions," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 18(2), pages 463-76, June.
- Mebratie, Anagaw Derseh & Bedi, Arjun S., 2011.
"Foreign Direct Investment, Black Economic Empowerment and Labour Productivity in South Africa,"
IZA Discussion Papers
6048, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Anagaw Derseh Mebratie & Arjun S. Bedi, 2013. "Foreign direct investment, black economic empowerment and labour productivity in South Africa," The Journal of International Trade & Economic Development, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 22(1), pages 94-115, February.
- Markus Eberhardt & Christian Helmers & Zhihong Yu, 2011.
"Is the Dragon Learning to Fly? An Analysis of the Chinese Patent Explosion,"
CSAE Working Paper Series
2011-15, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- Markus Eberhardt & Christian Helmers, 2011. "Is the Dragon Learning to Fly? An Analysis of the Chinese Patent Explosion," Economics Series Working Papers WPS/2011-15, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Markus Eberhardt & Christian Helmers & Zhihong Yu, . "Is the Dragon Learning to Fly? An Analysis of the Chinese Patent Explosion," Discussion Papers 11/16, University of Nottingham, GEP.
- Anagaw Derseh Mebratie & Peter A. G. van Bergeijk, 2013.
"Firm heterogeneity and development: A meta-analysis of FDI productivity spillovers,"
The Journal of International Trade & Economic Development,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 22(1), pages 52-70, February.
- Mebratie, A.D. & van Bergeijk, P.A.G., 2011. "Firm Heterogeneity and Development: A Meta Analysis of FDI Productivity Spill-overs," ISS Working Papers - General Series 525, International Institute of Social Studies of Erasmus University Rotterdam (ISS), The Hague.
- Ellis, Paul D., 2010. "International trade intermediaries and the transfer of marketing knowledge in transition economies," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 16-33, February.
- Linda Yueh & Linda Yueh & John Van Reenen, 2012.
"Why has China grown so fast?Â The role of international technology transfer,"
Economics Series Working Papers
592, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- John Van Reenen & Linda Yueh, 2012. "Why Has China Grown So Fast? The Role of International Technology Transfer," CEP Discussion Papers dp1121, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Sun, Sizhong, 2009. "The role of foreign firms in domestic exporting," MPRA Paper 18486, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Naudé, Wim & Szirmai, Adam & Lavopa, Alejandro, 2013. "Industrialization Lessons from BRICS: A Comparative Analysis," IZA Discussion Papers 7543, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Harrison, Ann & Rodríguez-Clare, Andrés, 2010.
"Trade, Foreign Investment, and Industrial Policy for Developing Countries,"
Handbook of Development Economics,
- Ann Harrison & Andrés Rodríguez-Clare, 2009. "Trade, Foreign Investment, and Industrial Policy for Developing Countries," NBER Working Papers 15261, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Yao, Shujie & Wei, Kailei, 2007. "Economic growth in the presence of FDI: The perspective of newly industrialising economies," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 211-234, March.
- Mercedes Gumbau Albert & Joaquín Maudos Villarroya, 2006.
"Patents, Technological Inputs And Spillovers Among Regions,"
Working Papers. Serie EC
2006-11, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Mercedes Gumbau-Albert & Joaquin Maudos, 2009. "Patents, technological inputs and spillovers among regions," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(12), pages 1473-1486.
- Gumbau-Albert, Mercedes & Maudos, Joaquin, 2009. "Patents, technological inputs and spillovers among regions," MPRA Paper 15260, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Liu, Xiaohui & Buck, Trevor, 2007. "Innovation performance and channels for international technology spillovers: Evidence from Chinese high-tech industries," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(3), pages 355-366, April.
- BAAK, SaangJoon, 2008. "The bilateral real exchange rates and trade between China and the U.S," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 117-127, June.
- Sangho KIM & Hyunjoon LIM & Donghyun PARK, 2007. "The Effect of Imports and Exports on Total Factor Productivity in Korea," Discussion papers 07022, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Yaojun Yao, 2011. "International trade and technological progress in china: Evidence from time series," Frontiers of Economics in China, Springer, vol. 6(3), pages 464-478, September.
- Filatotchev, Igor & Liu, Xiaohui & Lu, Jiangyong & Wright, Mike, 2011. "Knowledge spillovers through human mobility across national borders: Evidence from Zhongguancun Science Park in China," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 40(3), pages 453-462, April.
- Sun, Sizhong, 2012. "The role of FDI in domestic exporting: Evidence from China," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(4), pages 434-441.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.