Complementing EMU: Rethinking Cohesion Policy
AbstractUnder EMU, the less competitive regions of the EU--usually assumed to be peripheral--have been widely expected to lose ground, yet it is the core of the EU that, so far, has appeared to have suffered from the advent of the euro. This paper looks at the processes behind regional divergence in the EU, and presents evidence on recent and prospective trends as EMU is consolidated. Bearing in mind that the imminent enlargement of the EU will radically change the political economy of the EU's efforts to assure 'cohesion', policy issues are then discussed. Looking forward to the next renegotiation of the Structural Funds, it is argued that difficult decisions have to be taken about the extent and character of EU policy. The option of an open method of coordination for cohesion policy is put forward as a means of resolving some of the hard choices. Copyright 2003, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Oxford University Press in its journal Oxford Review of Economic Policy.
Volume (Year): 19 (2003)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://oxrep.oupjournals.org/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Petrakos, George & Dimitris, Kallioras & Ageliki, Anagnostou, 2007. "A Generalized Model of Regional Economic Growth in the European Union," Papers DYNREG12, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- Rodriguez-Oreggia, Eduardo & Rodriguez-Pose, Andres, 2004. "The Regional Returns of Public Investment Policies in Mexico," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 32(9), pages 1545-1562, September.
- Golemanova, Antoaneta & Kuhar, Aleš, 2007. "Post-Accession Opportunities for Rural Development in Bulgaria," 100th Seminar, June 21-23, 2007, Novi Sad, Serbia and Montenegro 162397, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Nikos Christodoulakis, 2009.
"Ten Years of EMU: convergence, divergence and new policy priorities,"
GreeSE â Hellenic Observatory Papers on Greece and Southeast Europe
22, Hellenic Observatory, LSE.
- Nicos Christodoulakis, 2008. "Ten years of EMU: Convergence, Divergence and New Policy Priorities," Research and Policy Notes 2008/01, Czech National Bank, Research Department.
- Florence Bouvet, 2010. "EMU and the dynamics of regional per capita income inequality in Europe," Journal of Economic Inequality, Springer, vol. 8(3), pages 323-344, September.
- Iain Begg, 2008. "Structural policy and economic convergence," CESifo Forum, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 9(1), pages 3-9, 04.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.