Determinants of Export Orientation of Foreign Production by U.S. Multinationals: An Inter-Country Analysis
AbstractThis paper examines the role of structural and policy factors in explaining a country's attractiveness as a base for export-oriented production by U.S. MNEs. Empirical analysis finds wage rates and industrial capability to be important determinants of export-oriented production attracted by a country. Exports generated by relocation are found to be dependent upon intra-firm imports. U.S. MNEs are found to be using their hosts as export bases more selectively.© 1994 JIBS. Journal of International Business Studies (1994) 25, 141–156
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Palgrave Macmillan in its journal Journal of International Business Studies.
Volume (Year): 25 (1994)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/
Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Busse, Matthias & Spielmann, Christian, 2003. "Gender Discrimination and the International Division of Labour," HWWA Discussion Papers 245, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWA).
- Azam, Muhammad & Khan, Hashim & Hunjra, Ahmed Imran & Ahmad, H. Mushtaq & Chani, Muhammad Irfan, 2011. "Institutions, macroeconomic policy and foreign direct investment: South Asian countries case," MPRA Paper 32480, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Dikova, Desislava & Witteloostuijn, Arjen van, 2005. "Managerial satisfaction with subsidiary performance; the influence of the parent MNE's capabilities and the subsidiary's environment," Research Report 05G07, University of Groningen, Research Institute SOM (Systems, Organisations and Management).
- Lydon, Reamonn & Williams, Mark, 2005. "Communications Networks and Foreign Direct: Investment in Developing Countries," MPRA Paper 2492, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Nagesh Kumar, 1998. "Multinational enterprises, regional economic integration, and export-platform production in the host countries: An empirical analysis for the US and Japanese corporations," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 134(3), pages 450-483, September.
- Kumar, Nagesh, 1996. "Foreign Direct Investments and Technology Transfers in Development: A Perspective on Recent Literature," UNU-INTECH Discussion Paper Series 06, United Nations University - INTECH.
- CUYVERS, Ludo & PLASMANS, Joseph & SOENG, Reth & VAN DEN BULCKE, Daniël, 2008. "Determinants of foreign direct investment in Cambodia: Country-specific factor differentials," Working Papers 2008003, University of Antwerp, Faculty of Applied Economics.
- Kumar, Nagesh, 1995.
"Intellectual Property Protection, Market Orientation and Location of Overseas R&D Activities by Multinational Enterprises,"
UNU-INTECH Discussion Paper Series
01, United Nations University - INTECH.
- Kumar, Nagesh, 1996. "Intellectual property protection, market orientation and location of overseas R&D activities by multinational enterprises," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 24(4), pages 673-688, April.
- Beugelsdijk, Sjoerd & Pedersen, Torben & Petersen, Bent, 2009. "Is there a trend towards global value chain specialization? -- An examination of cross border sales of US foreign affiliates," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 126-141, June.
- Gordon H. Hanson & Raymond J. Mataloni & Matthew J. Slaughter, 2003.
"Vertical Production Networks in Multinational Firms,"
NBER Working Papers
9723, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gordon H. Hanson & Raymond J. Mataloni & Matthew J. Slaughter, 2005. "Vertical Production Networks in Multinational Firms," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 87(4), pages 664-678, November.
- Larry D. Qiu, 2003. "Comparing Sectoral FDI Incentives: Comparative Advantages and Market Opportunities," Annals of Economics and Finance, Society for AEF, vol. 4(1), pages 151-176, May.
- Farrokh Nourzad & David Greenwold & Rui Yang, 2014. "The Interaction Between FDI and Infrastructure Capital in The Development Process," International Advances in Economic Research, Springer, vol. 20(2), pages 203-212, May.
- Pradhan, Jaya Prakash & Das, Keshab & Paul, Mahua, 2006. "Export-orientation of Foreign Manufacturing Affiliates in India: Factors, Tendencies and Implications," MPRA Paper 12338, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Lau, Ho-Fuk, 2003. "Industry evolution and internationalization processes of firms from a newly industrialized economy," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 56(10), pages 847-852, October.
- Esiyok, Bulent, 2011. "Determinants of foreign direct investment in Turkey: a panel study approach," MPRA Paper 36568, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Kumar, Nagesh, 1995. "Changing Character of Foreign Direct Investment from Developing Countries: Case Studies from Asia," UNU-INTECH Discussion Paper Series 16, United Nations University - INTECH.
- Asiedu, Elizabeth, 2002. "On the Determinants of Foreign Direct Investment to Developing Countries: Is Africa Different?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 107-119, January.
- Rashmi Banga, 2003. "The export-diversifying impact of and U.S. foreign direct investments in indian manufacturing sector," Indian Council for Research on International Economic Relations, New Delhi Working Papers 110, Indian Council for Research on International Economic Relations, New Delhi, India.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elizabeth Gale).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.