Determinants of Export Orientation of Foreign Production by U.S. Multinationals: An Inter-Country Analysis
AbstractThis paper examines the role of structural and policy factors in explaining a country's attractiveness as a base for export-oriented production by U.S. MNEs. Empirical analysis finds wage rates and industrial capability to be important determinants of export-oriented production attracted by a country. Exports generated by relocation are found to be dependent upon intra-firm imports. U.S. MNEs are found to be using their hosts as export bases more selectively.© 1994 JIBS. Journal of International Business Studies (1994) 25, 141–156
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Palgrave Macmillan in its journal Journal of International Business Studies.
Volume (Year): 25 (1994)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/
Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Gordon H. Hanson & Raymond J. Mataloni & Matthew J. Slaughter, 2005.
"Vertical Production Networks in Multinational Firms,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 87(4), pages 664-678, November.
- Gordon H. Hanson & Raymond J. Mataloni & Matthew J. Slaughter, 2003. "Vertical Production Networks in Multinational Firms," NBER Working Papers 9723, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lau, Ho-Fuk, 2003. "Industry evolution and internationalization processes of firms from a newly industrialized economy," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 56(10), pages 847-852, October.
- Larry D. Qiu, 2003. "Comparing Sectoral FDI Incentives: Comparative Advantages and Market Opportunities," Annals of Economics and Finance, Society for AEF, vol. 4(1), pages 151-176, May.
- Beugelsdijk, Sjoerd & Pedersen, Torben & Petersen, Bent, 2009. "Is there a trend towards global value chain specialization? -- An examination of cross border sales of US foreign affiliates," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 126-141, June.
- Busse, Matthias & Spielmann, Christian, 2003. "Gender Discrimination and the International Division of Labour," HWWA Discussion Papers 245, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWA).
- Esiyok, Bulent, 2011. "Determinants of foreign direct investment in Turkey: a panel study approach," MPRA Paper 36568, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Rashmi Banga, 2003. "The export-diversifying impact of and U.S. foreign direct investments in indian manufacturing sector," Indian Council for Research on International Economic Relations, New Delhi Working Papers 110, Indian Council for Research on International Economic Relations, New Delhi, India.
- Azam, Muhammad & Khan, Hashim & Hunjra, Ahmed Imran & Ahmad, H. Mushtaq & Chani, Muhammad Irfan, 2011. "Institutions, macroeconomic policy and foreign direct investment: South Asian countries case," MPRA Paper 32480, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Lydon, Reamonn & Williams, Mark, 2005. "Communications Networks and Foreign Direct: Investment in Developing Countries," MPRA Paper 2492, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Cuyvers L. & Plasmans J. & Soeng R. & Van den Bulcke D., 2008. "Determinants of Foreign Direct Investment in Cambodia: Country-Specific Factor Differentials," Working Papers 2008003, University of Antwerp, Faculty of Applied Economics.
- Kumar, Nagesh, 1996.
"Intellectual property protection, market orientation and location of overseas R&D activities by multinational enterprises,"
Elsevier, vol. 24(4), pages 673-688, April.
- Kumar, Nagesh, 1995. "Intellectual Property Protection, Market Orientation and Location of Overseas R&D Activities by Multinational Enterprises," UNU-INTECH Discussion Paper Series 01, United Nations University - INTECH.
- Kumar, Nagesh, 1996. "Foreign Direct Investments and Technology Transfers in Development: A Perspective on Recent Literature," UNU-INTECH Discussion Paper Series 06, United Nations University - INTECH.
- Nagesh Kumar, 1998. "Multinational enterprises, regional economic integration, and export-platform production in the host countries: An empirical analysis for the US and Japanese corporations," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 134(3), pages 450-483, September.
- Pradhan, Jaya Prakash & Das, Keshab & Paul, Mahua, 2006. "Export-orientation of Foreign Manufacturing Affiliates in India: Factors, Tendencies and Implications," MPRA Paper 12338, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Kumar, Nagesh, 1995. "Changing Character of Foreign Direct Investment from Developing Countries: Case Studies from Asia," UNU-INTECH Discussion Paper Series 16, United Nations University - INTECH.
- Dikova, Desislava & Witteloostuijn, Arjen van, 2005. "Managerial satisfaction with subsidiary performance; the influence of the parent MNE's capabilities and the subsidiary's environment," Research Report 05G07, University of Groningen, Research Institute SOM (Systems, Organisations and Management).
- Asiedu, Elizabeth, 2002. "On the Determinants of Foreign Direct Investment to Developing Countries: Is Africa Different?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 107-119, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elizabeth Gale).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.