Determinants of Export Orientation of Foreign Production by U.S. Multinationals: An Inter-Country Analysis
AbstractThis paper examines the role of structural and policy factors in explaining a country's attractiveness as a base for export-oriented production by U.S. MNEs. Empirical analysis finds wage rates and industrial capability to be important determinants of export-oriented production attracted by a country. Exports generated by relocation are found to be dependent upon intra-firm imports. U.S. MNEs are found to be using their hosts as export bases more selectively.© 1994 JIBS. Journal of International Business Studies (1994) 25, 141–156
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Palgrave Macmillan in its journal Journal of International Business Studies.
Volume (Year): 25 (1994)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/
Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Gordon H. Hanson & Raymond J. Mataloni & Matthew J. Slaughter, 2003.
"Vertical Production Networks in Multinational Firms,"
NBER Working Papers
9723, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gordon H. Hanson & Raymond J. Mataloni & Matthew J. Slaughter, 2005. "Vertical Production Networks in Multinational Firms," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 87(4), pages 664-678, November.
- Esiyok, Bulent, 2011. "Determinants of foreign direct investment in Turkey: a panel study approach," MPRA Paper 36568, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Larry D. Qiu, 2003. "Comparing Sectoral FDI Incentives: Comparative Advantages and Market Opportunities," Annals of Economics and Finance, Society for AEF, vol. 4(1), pages 151-176, May.
- Busse, Matthias & Spielmann, Christian, 2003. "Gender Discrimination and the International Division of Labour," HWWA Discussion Papers 245, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWA).
- Cuyvers L. & Plasmans J. & Soeng R. & Van den Bulcke D., 2008. "Determinants of Foreign Direct Investment in Cambodia: Country-Specific Factor Differentials," Working Papers 2008003, University of Antwerp, Faculty of Applied Economics.
- Lydon, Reamonn & Williams, Mark, 2005. "Communications Networks and Foreign Direct: Investment in Developing Countries," MPRA Paper 2492, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Dikova, Desislava & Witteloostuijn, Arjen van, 2005. "Managerial satisfaction with subsidiary performance; the influence of the parent MNE's capabilities and the subsidiary's environment," Research Report 05G07, University of Groningen, Research Institute SOM (Systems, Organisations and Management).
- Beugelsdijk, Sjoerd & Pedersen, Torben & Petersen, Bent, 2009. "Is there a trend towards global value chain specialization? -- An examination of cross border sales of US foreign affiliates," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 126-141, June.
- Nagesh Kumar, 1998. "Multinational enterprises, regional economic integration, and export-platform production in the host countries: An empirical analysis for the US and Japanese corporations," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 134(3), pages 450-483, September.
- Asiedu, Elizabeth, 2002. "On the Determinants of Foreign Direct Investment to Developing Countries: Is Africa Different?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 107-119, January.
- Pradhan, Jaya Prakash & Das, Keshab & Paul, Mahua, 2006. "Export-orientation of Foreign Manufacturing Affiliates in India: Factors, Tendencies and Implications," MPRA Paper 12338, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Lau, Ho-Fuk, 2003. "Industry evolution and internationalization processes of firms from a newly industrialized economy," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 56(10), pages 847-852, October.
- Azam, Muhammad & Khan, Hashim & Hunjra, Ahmed Imran & Ahmad, H. Mushtaq & Chani, Muhammad Irfan, 2011. "Institutions, macroeconomic policy and foreign direct investment: South Asian countries case," MPRA Paper 32480, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elizabeth Gale).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.