The Effect of Political Events on United States Direct Foreign Investment: A Pooled Time-Series Cross-Sectional Analysis
AbstractThis paper examines the effect of political events on the manufacturing direct foreign investment (MDFI) decisions of U.S. multinational corporations. The relationship between political events (and nonpolitical factors) and MDFI is investigated through regression analysis of pooled time-series (21 years) and cross-sectional (24 countries) data and through various tests of the homogeneity of the relationship across groups of countries. The study finds that the relationship between political events in MDFI is different for less developed countries as opposed to developed countries. For the less developed countries, both inter-nation and intra-nation conflict and cooperation affect MDFI. In contrast, U.S. MDFI in developed countries appears to be affected only by inter-nation conflict and cooperation.© 1985 JIBS. Journal of International Business Studies (1985) 16, 1–17
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Palgrave Macmillan in its journal Journal of International Business Studies.
Volume (Year): 16 (1985)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/
Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Gregory Clare & Ira N. Gang, 2010.
"Exchange Rate and Political Risks, Again,"
Emerging Markets Finance and Trade,
M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 46(3), pages 46-58, May.
- Ma, Yulong & Sun, Huey-Lian & Tang, Alex P., 2003. "The stock return effect of political risk event on foreign joint ventures: evidence from the Tiananmen Square Incident," Global Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 49-64, May.
- Lim, Sung-Hoon, 2008. "How investment promotion affects attracting foreign direct investment: Analytical argument and empirical analyses," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 39-53, February.
- Bilgili, Faik & Tülüce, Nadide Sevil Halıcı & Doğan, İbrahim, 2012. "The determinants of FDI in Turkey: A Markov Regime-Switching approach," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 29(4), pages 1161-1169.
- Multilateral Investment Guarantee Agency, 2009. "World Investment and Political Risk 2009," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 2688, March.
- Reynolds, Taylor & Kenny, Charles & Liu, Jia & Qiang, Christine Zhen-Wei, 2004. "Networking for foreign direct investment: the telecommunications industry and its effect on investment," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 159-164, June.
- Desbordes, Rodolphe & Vicard, Vincent, 2009.
"Foreign direct investment and bilateral investment treaties: An international political perspective,"
Journal of Comparative Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 372-386, September.
- Rodolphe Desbordes & Vincent Vicard, 2007. "Foreign Direct Investment and Bilateral Investment Treaties an International Political Perspective," Documents de travail du Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne bla07045, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1), Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne.
- Rodolphe Desbordes & Vincent Vicard, 2007. "Foreign direct investment and bilateral investment treaties, an international political perspective," UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00176051, HAL.
- Zwinkels, Remco C.J. & Beugelsdijk, Sjoerd, 2010. "Gravity equations: Workhorse or Trojan horse in explaining trade and FDI patterns across time and space?," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 102-115, February.
- Garcia-Fuentes, Pablo A. & Kennedy, P. Lynn & Ferreira, Gustavo F.C., 2013. "U.S. Foreign Direct Investment in Latin America and the Caribbean: A case of Remittances and Market Size," 2013 Annual Meeting, February 2-5, 2013, Orlando, Florida 142985, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- Moon, Hwy-Chang & Roehl, Thomas W., 2001. "Unconventional foreign direct investment and the imbalance theory," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 197-215, April.
- Sandy Kyaw, 2006. "Foreign Direct Investment to Developing Countries in the Globalised World," Working Papers id:758, eSocialSciences.
- Erdal Demirhan & Mahmut Masca, 2008. "Determinants of foreign direct investment flows to developing countries: a cross-sectional analysis," Prague Economic Papers, University of Economics, Prague, vol. 2008(4), pages 356-369.
- Groh, Alexander Peter & Wich, Matthias, 2012. "Emerging economies' attraction of foreign direct investment," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 210-229.
- Zhen Quan Wang & Nigel Swain, 1997. "Determinants of Inflow of Foreign Direct Investment in Hungary and China: Time-Series Approach," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 9(5), pages 695-726.
- Groh, Alexander P. & Wich, Matthias, 2009. "A composite measure to determine a host country's attractiveness for foreign direct investment," IESE Research Papers D/833, IESE Business School.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elizabeth Gale).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.