An Econometric Analysis of Foreign Direct Investment Flows into Turkey from Major Global Regions: 1975-1999
AbstractThis paper analyses the determinants of inward foreign direct investment (FDI) flows into Turkey from four major geographical regions and at aggregate level with a special emphasis on Turkey’s application to the European Union (EU) to become a full member in 1987. In contrast to previous studies this paper divides the inward FDI flows into Turkey from four major trading blocks and estimates separate FDI function for each region in addition to the aggregate FDI function. It is found that Turkey has experienced both “investment creation and diversion” effects as a result of her membership application to the EU in addition to the market size hypothesis. This paper also compares and contrasts the short and long run FDI functions of Turkey by the source of geographical regions and at aggregate level and draws conclusions from there.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series International Trade with number 0503004.
Date of creation: 11 Mar 2005
Date of revision:
Note: Type of Document - pdf
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://220.127.116.11
foreign direct investment; investment creation and diversion; Turkey and the EU; economic integration.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F15 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Economic Integration
- F21 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - International Investment; Long-Term Capital Movements
- C32 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models; Diffusion Processes
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Susan Scott-Green & Jeremy Clegg, 1999. "The Determinants of New FDI Capital Flows into the EC: A Statistical Comparison of the USA and Japan," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 37(4), pages 597-616, December.
- Jamuna Agarwal, 1980. "Determinants of foreign direct investment: A survey," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 116(4), pages 739-773, December.
- Harrison, Glenn W. & Rutherford, Thomas F. & Tarr, David G., 1996.
"Economic implications for Turkey of a customs union with the European Union,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
1599, The World Bank.
- Harrison, Glenn W. & Rutherford, Thomas F. & Tarr, David G., 1997. "Economic implications for Turkey of a Customs Union with the European Union," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 41(3-5), pages 861-870, April.
- Barrell, Ray & Pain, Nigel, 1996. "An Econometric Analysis of U.S. Foreign Direct Investment," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 78(2), pages 200-207, May.
- Mercenier, Jean & Yeldan, Erinc, 1997.
"On Turkey's trade policy: Is a customs union with Europe enough?,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 41(3-5), pages 871-880, April.
- J. Mercenier & Erinç Yeldan, 1996. "On Turkey's Trade Policy : Is A Customs Union with Europe Enough?," Departmental Working Papers 964, Bilkent University, Department of Economics.
- Chakrabarti, Avik, 2001. "The Determinants of Foreign Direct Investment: Sensitivity Analyses of Cross-Country Regressions," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 54(1), pages 89-113.
- Kyriacos Aristotelous & Stilianos Fountas, 1996. "An Empirical Analysis of Inward Foreign Direct Investment Flows in the EU with Emphasis on the Market Enlargement Hypothesis," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 34(4), pages 571-583, December.
- Esiyok, Bulent, 2011. "Determinants of foreign direct investment in Turkey: a panel study approach," MPRA Paper 36568, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Cuyvers L. & Plasmans J. & Soeng R. & Van den Bulcke D., 2008. "Determinants of Foreign Direct Investment in Cambodia: Country-Specific Factor Differentials," Working Papers 2008003, University of Antwerp, Faculty of Applied Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.