Locational Determinants and Ranking of Host Countries: An Empirical Assessment
AbstractAn empirical analysis of the intra-OECD distribution of foreign affiliates among OECD host countries, taking into account the simultaneity between local production and exports as modes of foreign penetration, shows the importance of size and relatedness of host markets when choosing which foreign country to serve, independent of the size of the home country. In addition, the combination of both variables provides an extra stimulus for local production as well as exports, but more so for the first than for the latter mode. Cost considerations as well as host government intervention are less pronounced as location factors among OECD countries. Copyright 1991 by WWZ and Helbing & Lichtenhahn Verlag AG
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Kyklos.
Volume (Year): 44 (1991)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0023-5962
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Constantina Kottaridi & Fragkiskos Filippaios & Marina Papanastassiou & Robert Pearce, 2013. "Regional Mix and the Roles of Foreign Subsidiaries: A New Conceptualization and Empirical Evidence on the UK Case," SPOUDAI Journal of Economics and Business, SPOUDAI Journal of Economics and Business, University of Piraeus, vol. 63(1-2), pages 47-74, June.
- Ahmad Seyf, 2001. "Can Globalisation and Global Localisation Explain Foreign Direct Investment? Japanese Firms in Europe," International Journal of the Economics of Business, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(1), pages 137-153.
- Gabriel Benito, 1997. "Divestment of foreign production operations," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 29(10), pages 1365-1378.
- Helen Louri & Raymond Loufir & Marina Papanastassiou, 2002. "Foreign Investment and Ownership Structure: An Empirical Analysis," Empirica, Springer, vol. 29(1), pages 31-45, March.
- Cuyvers L. & Plasmans J. & Soeng R. & Van den Bulcke D., 2008. "Determinants of Foreign Direct Investment in Cambodia: Country-Specific Factor Differentials," Working Papers 2008003, University of Antwerp, Faculty of Applied Economics.
- Bhatt, P.R., 2013. "Causal Relationship between Exports, FDI and Income: The case of Vietnam," Applied Econometrics and International Development, Euro-American Association of Economic Development, vol. 13(1), pages 161-172.
- Narula ,Rajneesh & Wakelin ,Katharine, 1995. "Technological competitiveness, trade and foreign direct investment," Research Memorandum 013, Maastricht University, Maastricht Economic Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Bhatt, P.R., 2013. "China’s Exports and Foreign Direct Investment," Applied Econometrics and International Development, Euro-American Association of Economic Development, vol. 13(2), pages 183-196.
- Andersson, Thomas & Fredriksson, Torbjorn, 2000. "Distinction between intermediate and finished products in intra-firm trade," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 18(5), pages 773-792, July.
- Christmann, Petra & Day, Diana & Yip, George S., 1999. "The relative influence of country conditions, industry structure, and business strategy on multinational corporation subsidiary performance," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 5(4), pages 241-265.
- repec:rdg:wpaper:em-dp2004-04 is not listed on IDEAS
- John Howe, 1994. "Internationalisation, Trade and Foreign Direct Investment," RBA Annual Conference Volume, in: Philip Lowe & Jacqueline Dwyer (ed.), International Intergration of the Australian Economy Reserve Bank of Australia.
- Ele Reiljan, 2001. "Determinants of foreign direct investment inflows in Estonia," University of Tartu - Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, in: Foreign Direct Investments in the Estonian Economy, volume 9, chapter 2, pages 31-90 Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, University of Tartu (Estonia).
- Cuyvers, Ludo & Soeng, Reth & Plasmans, Joseph & Van Den Bulcke, Daniel, 2011. "Determinants of foreign direct investment in Cambodia," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 222-234, June.
- Helen Louri & Marina Papanastassiou & John Lantouris, 2000. "FDI in the EU Periphery: A Multinomial Logit Analysis of Greek Firm Strategies," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(5), pages 419-427.
- Kandogan, Yener, 2012. "Regional foreign direct investment potential of the states within the US," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 64(4), pages 306-322.
- Barbosa, Natalia & Louri, Helen, 2002. "On the determinants of multinationals' ownership preferences: evidence from Greece and Portugal," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 493-515, April.
- Helen Louri, 2001. "Entry through Acquisition: Determinants of Multinational Firm Choices," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 19(2), pages 199-209, September.
- repec:phd:rpseri:rps_1994-10 is not listed on IDEAS
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.