The unified state examination and the determinants of academic achievement: Does investment in pre-entry coaching matter?
AbstractThis paper examines the effects of pre-entry coaching on achievement of Russian high school graduates as measured by the results of the Unified state examination (USE). We estimate the factors which determine the final USE results. Parental education, family income, student’s abilities and the fact of graduation from a gymnasium or magnet school are significant predictors of USE results in Russian, Mathematics and the average USE score. Attendance of pre-entry courses has positive influence on USE scores, but the effect is moderate. Attending classes with tutors has a significant (but still moderate) effect only on the USE score in Russian
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS" in its journal Applied Econometrics.
Volume (Year): 27 (2012)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://appliedeconometrics.cemi.rssi.ru/
unified state examination; pre-entry coaching; educational strategies;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- I21 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Education - - - Analysis of Education
- I24 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Education - - - Education and Inequality
- I28 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Education - - - Government Policy
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hanushek, E-A & Rivkin, S-G & Taylor, L-L, 1995.
"Aggregation and the Estimated Effects of School Resources,"
RCER Working Papers
397, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Hanushek, Eric A & Rivkin, Steven G & Taylor, Lori L, 1996. "Aggregation and the Estimated Effects of School Resources," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 78(4), pages 611-27, November.
- Eric A. Hanushek & Steven G. Rivkin & Lori L. Taylor, 1996. "Aggregation and the Estimated Effects of School Resources," NBER Working Papers 5548, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ludger Wößmann, 2000.
"Schooling Resources, Educational Institutions, and Student Performance: The International Evidence,"
Kiel Working Papers
983, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Ludger Woesmann, 2003. "Schooling Resources, Educational Institutions and Student Performance: the International Evidence," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 65(2), pages 117-170, 05.
- Ehrenberg, Ronald G. & Brewer, Dominic J., 1994. "Do school and teacher characteristics matter? Evidence from High School and Beyond," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 1-17, March.
- Hendrik Jürges & Kerstin Schneider & Felix Büchel, 2003.
"The Effect of Central Exit Examinations on Student Achievement: Quasi-experimental Evidence from TIMSS Germany,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
939, CESifo Group Munich.
- Hendrik Jürges & Kerstin Schneider & Felix Büchel, 2005. "The Effect Of Central Exit Examinations On Student Achievement: Quasi-Experimental Evidence From TIMSS Germany," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 3(5), pages 1134-1155, 09.
- Peresetsky, Anatoly & Davtian, Misak, 2011. "Russian USE and olympiads as instruments for university admission selection," Applied Econometrics, Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 23(3), pages 41-56.
- Hanushek, Eric, 1971. "Teacher Characteristics and Gains in Student Achievement: Estimation Using Micro Data," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 61(2), pages 280-88, May.
- Poldin, Oleg, 2011. "Predicting success in college on the basis of the results of unified national exam," Applied Econometrics, Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 21(1), pages 56-69.
- Hakkinen, Iida & Kirjavainen, Tanja & Uusitalo, Roope, 2003. "School resources and student achievement revisited: new evidence from panel data," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 329-335, June.
- Andrey Ampilogov & Ilya Prakhov & Maria Yudkevich, 2013. "One or Many? Using the New Opportunities of the Unified State Exam in Russian University Admissions," HSE Working papers WP BRP 12/EDU/2013, National Research University Higher School of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anatoly Peresetsky).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.