Russian USE and olympiads as instruments for university admission selection
AbstractThe paper considers efficiency of the Russian Unified State Exam (USE, or EGE, Russian version of SAT), and results of «olympiads» — national students’ contests in economics, mathematics as predictors of ICEF HSE students’ academic achievements. Most courses in ICEF are taught in English, but USE in English is not a significant predictor. USE in mathematics and Russian are significant predictors, but only USE in Russian is significant for the probability of drop-out. Olympiads’ winners demonstrate substantially better performance than other students.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS" in its journal Applied Econometrics.
Volume (Year): 23 (2011)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://appliedeconometrics.cemi.rssi.ru/
college admissions; Russian Unified State Exam; predicting GPA; ICEF HSE; LSE; GPA; predictive power;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- A22 - General Economics and Teaching - - Economic Education and Teaching of Economics - - - Undergraduate
- C25 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Discrete Regression and Qualitative Choice Models; Discrete Regressors; Proportions
- C53 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Forecasting and Prediction Models; Simulation Methods
- I20 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Education - - - General
- I21 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Education - - - Analysis of Education
- I23 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Education - - - Higher Education; Research Institutions
- P36 - Economic Systems - - Socialist Institutions and Their Transitions - - - Consumer Economics; Health; Education and Training; Welfare, Income, Wealth, and Poverty
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Poldin, Oleg, 2011. "Predicting success in college on the basis of the results of unified national exam," Applied Econometrics, Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 21(1), pages 56-69.
- Rothstein, J.M.Jesse M., 2004. "College performance predictions and the SAT," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 121(1-2), pages 297-317.
- Androushchak, Gregory & Poldin, Oleg & Yudkevich, Maria, 2012. "Peer effects in exogenously formed student groups," Applied Econometrics, Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 26(2), pages 3-16.
- Zamkov, Oleg & Peresetsky, Anatoly, 2013. "Russian Unified National Exams (UNE) and academic performance of ICEF HSE students," Applied Econometrics, Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 30(2), pages 93-114.
- Prakhov, Ilya, 2012. "The unified state examination and the determinants of academic achievement: Does investment in pre-entry coaching matter?," Applied Econometrics, Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 27(3), pages 86-108.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anatoly Peresetsky).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.