Predicting success in college on the basis of the results of unified national exam
AbstractThis paper presents the results of econometric study on predicting first-year grade point average and dropout probability with national examination (EGE) results at the bachelor program in Economics in the Higher School of Economics. The use of a sum of four exams — math, social studies, Russian language and foreign language — shows worse fitting than a sum of three exams, excluding foreign language. In models with separate exams as regressors, the greatest effect on dependent variable provides math grades.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS" in its journal Applied Econometrics.
Volume (Year): 21 (2011)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://appliedeconometrics.cemi.rssi.ru/
university admission; entrance examination; predicting GPA; Tobit model;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C24 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Truncated and Censored Models; Switching Regression Models
- I21 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Education - - - Analysis of Education
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rothstein, J.M.Jesse M., 2004. "College performance predictions and the SAT," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 121(1-2), pages 297-317.
- Androushchak, Gregory & Poldin, Oleg & Yudkevich, Maria, 2012. "Peer effects in exogenously formed student groups," Applied Econometrics, Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 26(2), pages 3-16.
- Prakhov, Ilya, 2012. "The unified state examination and the determinants of academic achievement: Does investment in pre-entry coaching matter?," Applied Econometrics, Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 27(3), pages 86-108.
- Peresetsky, Anatoly & Davtian, Misak, 2011. "Russian USE and olympiads as instruments for university admission selection," Applied Econometrics, Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 23(3), pages 41-56.
- Zamkov, Oleg & Peresetsky, Anatoly, 2013. "Russian Unified National Exams (UNE) and academic performance of ICEF HSE students," Applied Econometrics, Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 30(2), pages 93-114.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anatoly Peresetsky).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.