Effects of foreign acquisitions on R&D activity: Evidence from firm-level data for France
AbstractThis paper investigates the causal effect of foreign acquisitions on the research and development (R&D) activities of domestic target firms over the period 1994-2004. Using accounting data on French innovative manufacturing firms, we implement appropriate difference-in-difference estimation techniques associated with a matching propensity score procedure. We find that the acquisitions of French firms by foreign companies boost R&D spending. There is a simultaneous rise in the external and in-house R&D expenditures of French acquired firms. R&D is more contracted out to local research providers, in particular to local public laboratories and universities. The increase in internal R&D spending benefits to development, but also basic and applied research. Finally, the growth of the R&D budget is not only financed by internal resources but also receives financing from external partners, especially parent companies. Thus, our results call into question the idea that foreign takeovers hamper the R&D development of target firms and are detrimental to the national innovation system of the host country. First, acquisitions appear to bring efficiency gains enough to counterbalance the various costs of integration and market power effects, pushing firms to invest more in R&D. Acquisitions do not seem to incite managers to take shorter term and more financial driven decisions at the expense of R&D. Second, when motivated by technology sourcing and overseas R&D development, acquisitions might be used to access the specific know-how of target firms and to tap into the knowledge of the national innovation system. Then, purchaser firms could be more likely to develop the innovative capability of target firms and to strengthen their linkages with local partners than to reduce them and relocate R&D abroad.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Research Policy.
Volume (Year): 38 (2009)
Issue (Month): 6 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/respol
M&A Takeover R&D Innovation;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Walter Park & Ralph Sonenshine, 2012. "Impact of Horizontal Mergers on Research & Development and Patenting: Evidence from Merger Challenges in the U.S," Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade, Springer, vol. 12(1), pages 143-167, March.
- Klaus Gugler & Florian Szücs, 2013. "Merger Externalities in Oligopolistic Markets," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 1321, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Richard Fabling & Lynda Sanderson, 2011.
"Foreign Acquisition and the Performance of New Zealand Firms,"
Treasury Working Paper Series
11/06, New Zealand Treasury.
- Richard Fabling & Lynda Sanderson, 2011. "Foreign acquisition and the performance of New Zealand firms," Reserve Bank of New Zealand Discussion Paper Series DP2011/08, Reserve Bank of New Zealand.
- María García-Vega & Patricia Hofmann & Richard Kneller, .
"The Internationalisation of R&D and the Knowledge Production Function,"
12/02, University of Nottingham, GEP.
- María García-Vega & Patricia Hofmann & Richard Kneller, 2012. "The Internationalisation of R&D and the Knowledge Production Function," CESifo Working Paper Series 3751, CESifo Group Munich.
- Bandick, Roger & Görg, Holger & Karpaty, Patrik, 2010.
"Foreign acquisitions, domestic multinationals, and R&D,"
10-11, University of Aarhus, Aarhus School of Business, Department of Economics.
- Bandick, Roger & Görg, Holger & Karpaty, Patrik, 2011. "Foreign acquisitions, domestic multinationals, and R&D," Working Papers 2011:1, Örebro University, School of Business.
- Bandick, Roger & Görg, Holger & Karpaty, Patrik, 2010. "Foreign Acquisitions, Domestic Multinationals, and R&D," CEPR Discussion Papers 8081, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Bandick, Roger & Görg, Holger & Karpaty, Patrik, 2010. "Foreign Acquisitions, Domestic Multinationals, and R&D," IZA Discussion Papers 5252, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Roger Bandick & Holger Görg & Patrik Karpaty, 2010. "Foreign acquisitions, domestic multinationals, and R&D," Kiel Working Papers 1651, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Tingvall, Patrik & Karpaty, Patrik, 2011.
"Offshoring and Home Country R&D,"
Ratio Working Papers
180, The Ratio Institute.
- Karpaty, Patrik & Tingvall, Patrik Gustavsson, 2011. "Offshoring and Home Country R&D," Working Paper Series in Economics and Institutions of Innovation 254, Royal Institute of Technology, CESIS - Centre of Excellence for Science and Innovation Studies.
- Bertrand, Olivier & Betschinger, Marie-Ann, 2012.
"Performance of domestic and cross-border acquisitions: Empirical evidence from Russian acquirers,"
Journal of Comparative Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 40(3), pages 413-437.
- Olivier Bertrand & Marie-Ann Betschinger, 2011. "Performance of domestic and cross-border acquisitions: empirical evidence from Russian acquirers," Working Papers 129, European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, Office of the Chief Economist.
- Fernandes, Cristina & Ferreira, João & Raposo, Mario, 2013. "Drivers to firm innovation and their effects on performance: An international comparison," MPRA Paper 46776, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Stiebale, Joel, 2012. "Cross-Border M&A and Innovative Activity: Firm-Level Evidence," Annual Conference 2012 (Goettingen): New Approaches and Challenges for the Labor Market of the 21st Century 62027, Verein für Socialpolitik / German Economic Association.
- Marcela Miozzo & Lori DiVito & Panos Desyllas, 2011. "Cross-border acquisitions of science-based firms: Their effect on innovation in the acquired firm and the local science," DRUID Working Papers 11-17, DRUID, Copenhagen Business School, Department of Industrial Economics and Strategy/Aalborg University, Department of Business Studies.
- Barge-Gil, Andrés & López, Alberto, 2011. "R versus D: Estimating the differentiated effect of research and development on innovation results," MPRA Paper 29091, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.