Horizontal Mergers in Spatially Differentiated Noncooperative Markets
AbstractThe authors present a Cournot-Nash model of horizontal mergers between firms that engage in spatial price discrimination. The model extends the analysis of such mergers as presented in the U.S. Department of Justice's Merger Guidelines. Rather than conclude the evaluation of such a merger with an estimate of the postmerger Hirschman-Herfindahl Index, as is done in the Merger Guidelines, the authors' model yields an estimate of the increases in the equilibrium, postmerger delivered.prices caused by the merger. Copyright 1992 by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Journal of Industrial Economics.
Volume (Year): 40 (1992)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0022-1821
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Boone, Jan, 2002.
"'Be Nice, Unless it Pays to Fight': A New Theory of Price Determination with Implications for Competition Policy,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3342, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jan Boone, 2002. "’Be nice, unless it pays to fight’: A New Theory of Price Determination with Implications for Competition Policy," CIG Working Papers FS IV 02-18, Wissenschaftszentrum Berlin (WZB), Research Unit: Competition and Innovation (CIG).
- Boone, J., 2002. "'Be Nice Unless it Pays to Fight': A New Theory of Price Determination with Implications for Competition Policy," Discussion Paper 2002-23, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Boone, J., 2003. "'Be nice, unless it pays to fight': A new theory of price determination with implications for competition policy," Discussion Paper 2003-011, Tilburg University, Tilburg Law and Economic Center.
- Boone, J., 2006.
"Firms Merge in Response to Constraints,"
2006-014, Tilburg University, Tilburg Law and Economic Center.
- Cosnita-Langlais, Andreea, 2012. "Horizontal market concentration: Theoretical insights from spatial models," Research in Economics, Elsevier, vol. 66(1), pages 22-32.
- John Heywood & Guangliang Ye, 2013. "Sequential entry and merger in spatial price discrimination," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 50(3), pages 841-859, June.
- George Norman & Lynne Pepall, 1998. "Mergers in a Cournot Model of Spatial Competition: Urban Sprawl and Product Specialization," Discussion Papers Series, Department of Economics, Tufts University 9813, Department of Economics, Tufts University.
- John Heywood & Zheng Wang, 2014. "Spatial price discrimination and mergers with convex production costs," Letters in Spatial and Resource Sciences, Springer, vol. 7(1), pages 1-8, March.
- Calem, Paul S. & Dor, Avi & Rizzo, John A., 1999. "The welfare effects of mergers in the hospital industry," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 51(3), pages 197-213, May.
- Emilie Dargaud & Carlo Reggiani, 2012.
"On the Price Effects of Horizontal Mergers: A Theoretical Interpretation,"
The School of Economics Discussion Paper Series
1201, Economics, The University of Manchester.
- Emilie Dargaud & Carlo Reggiani, . "Horizontal Mergers in the Spokes Model," Discussion Papers 09/12, Department of Economics, University of York.
- Emilie Dargaud & Carlo Reggiani, 2012. "On the Price Effects of Horizontal Mergers : A Theoretical Interpretation," Working Papers halshs-00717467, HAL.
- Emilie Dargaud & Carlo Reggiani, 2012. "On the Price Effects of Horizontal Mergers : A Theoretical Interpretation," Working Papers 1222, Groupe d'Analyse et de Théorie Economique (GATE), Centre national de la recherche scientifique (CNRS), Université Lyon 2, Ecole Normale Supérieure.
- George Norman & Lynne Pepall, 1998. "Horizontal Mergers in Spatially Differentiated NonCooperative Markets: a Comment," Discussion Papers Series, Department of Economics, Tufts University 9804, Department of Economics, Tufts University.
- Philippe Cyrenne, 1999. "On Antitrust Enforcement and the Deterrence of Collusive Behaviour," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 14(3), pages 257-272, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.