R&D and M&A: Are cross-border M&A different? An investigation on OECD countries
AbstractThis paper investigates the incidence of national and cross-border M&A on industrial R&D investment in OECD countries over the period 1990-1999. We use generalized method of moments (GMM) estimation techniques for dynamic panel data and control for market-related and technological determinants of R&D production. Our findings show that the last M&A wave contributed to expand domestic R&D activities, especially in high-technology intensive industries. However, further evidence suggests that cross-border M&A (particularly outward M&A), and not domestic ones, have stimulated more significantly R&D spending. This result gives evidence that anti-competition effects are more likely to affect negatively R&D activities with a domestic M&A. Reversely, efficiency gains might be higher in a cross-border operation, encouraging merging firms to raise their R&D investments.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal International Journal of Industrial Organization.
Volume (Year): 24 (2006)
Issue (Month): 2 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/505551
Other versions of this item:
- Olivier Bertrand & Pluvia Zuniga, 2004. "R&D and M&A : Are cross-border M&A different ? An investigation on OECD countries," Cahiers de la Maison des Sciences Economiques, UniversitÃ© PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Paris 1) bla04072, UniversitÃ© PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- O30 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - General
- L10 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - General
- F23 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - Multinational Firms; International Business
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Chang, C-L. & Chang, S.P. & McAleer, M.J., 2010.
"Globalization and Knowledge Spillover: International Direct Investment, Exports and Patents,"
Econometric Institute Research Papers
EI 2010-55, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Erasmus School of Economics (ESE), Econometric Institute.
- Chia-Lin Chang & Sung-Po Chen & Michael McAleer, 2013. "Globalization and knowledge spillover: international direct investment, exports and patents," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 22(4), pages 329-352, June.
- Chia-Lin Chang & Sung-Po Chen & Michael McAleer, 2010. "Globalization and Knowledge Spillover: International Direct Investment, Exports and Patents," KIER Working Papers 721, Kyoto University, Institute of Economic Research.
- Chia-Lin Chang & Sung-Po Chen & Michael McAleer, 2010. "Globalization and Knowledge Spillover: International Direct Investment, Exports and Patents," Working Papers in Economics 10/54, University of Canterbury, Department of Economics and Finance.
- Chia-Lin Chang & Sung-Po Chen & Michael McAleer, 2012. "Globalization and Knowledge Spillover: International Direct Investment, Exports and Patents," Documentos de Trabajo del ICAE 2012-16, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Facultad de Ciencias Económicas y Empresariales, Instituto Complutense de Análisis Económico.
- Stiebale, Joel, 2013. "The impact of cross-border mergers and acquisitions on the acquirers' R&D â€” Firm-level evidence," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 31(4), pages 307-321.
- Stiebale, Joel, 2014. "Cross-border M&As and innovative activity of acquiring and target firms," DICE Discussion Papers 158, Heinrich‐Heine‐Universität Düsseldorf, Düsseldorf Institute for Competition Economics (DICE).
- Ahammad, Mohammad Faisal & Glaister, Keith W., 2013. "The pre-acquisition evaluation of target firms and cross border acquisition performance," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 22(5), pages 894-904.
- Frey, Rainer & Hussinger, Katrin, 2006.
"The role of technology in M&As: a firm-level comparison of cross-border and domestic deals,"
Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies
2006,45, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Frey, Rainer & Hussinger, Katrin, 2006. "The Role of Technology in M&As: A Firm Level Comparison of Cross-Border and Domestic Deals," ZEW Discussion Papers 06-69, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Bertrand, Olivier & Hakkala, Katariina & NorbÃ¤ck, Pehr-Johan, 2007. "Cross-Border Acquisition or Greenfield Entry: Does it Matter for Affiliate R&D?," Working Paper Series, Research Institute of Industrial Economics 693, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Joel Stiebale, 2014. "Cross-Border M&As and Innovative Activity of Acquiring and Target Firms," Discussion Papers 2014-06, University of Nottingham, GEP.
- Basant, Rakesh & Mishra, Pulak, . "Concentration and Other Determinants of Innovative Efforts in Indian Manufacturing Sector: A Dynamic Panel Data Analysis," IIMA Working Papers WP2013-02-01, Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad, Research and Publication Department.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.